F

Fifteenfeetoff

Enthusiast
I posted a few weeks ago about some new mains (will be picking up Sierra LX LCR next week with HTM 200s)

My last item to address is the subwoofer situation. I have a Klipsch R-12sw that will be taken out of service and deserves to be replaced with something that will compliment the Sierras.

Parameters:

Budget - $1500-$2000, unless there is a clear, value prop reason to nudge it to $2500.
Listening Preferences - 90/10 Movies/Music with something like 80/20 in the future (going to put more time into some critical music listening). I do not require bass that will shake every wall with little ease. I am more interested in impact and feeling the bass more than just hearing it) with Trex's paw putting a little scare in some people ).
Room Setup - 19x15x9 (more wide than deep, not optimal but thats what I have to work with). Open concept layout with adjoining kitchen. Total space is nearly 4500cuft.
MLP - 13ft.
Sub location restrictions -

Front left (not really preferred)
Side left
Rear left corner
Left rear
Right rear (restricted to a 18"x18"x18" cabinet)

After originally settling on a single ported option, I have read about duals and their benefits, especially in such a large space, and convinced myself (and my wife) that duals are probably the way to go.

Obviously, I have some location constraints and optimal locations may not be known until I begin testing cabinet locations. Just about every location, save the left rear (next to a 24" couch arm height) restricts me to pretty much sealed options (no other location yields sufficient space for a vented cabinet), assuming matching subs is a given. I'd like to think ported aligns to my content choice, but I dont think its doable here and thats OK....I am coming from a lowly Klipsch.

Cabinet finishes - Matte black (preferred) or black wood grain ONLY.

Surveying the options...

SVS sb2000 x2 (can get at outlet for $1500)
SVS sb3000 x2 ($2200)
Rythmik F12G x2 ($2300)
PSA S1512m ($2400)

The Rythmik E15 is just out of my stretch budget and is too big for the right rear location, so is not being considered at this time.

I dont believe I saw anything from any other manufacturers with my constraints (looked at Hsu, RSL not interested in Monolith) and do think I want to keep it to these 3 vendors at this time. They all are very reputable across all forums, with great customer service and warranties.

I have already talked to Ascend and Dave has recommended the F12Gs. I do plan to call Tom at PSA this week as well.

Curious if I am missing anything...?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd go ported rather than sealed. Is size a particular issue? If sealed/size is a requirement then I'd add dual HSU ULS-15s to the mix.

F

Fifteenfeetoff

Enthusiast
I'd go ported rather than sealed. Is size a particular issue? If sealed/size is a requirement then I'd add dual HSU ULS-15s to the mix.
Yes, size is an issue due to location restrictions (height and depth in particular). If the right rear or left front locations are to be used, it cannot exceed 18" in depth and 18" width.

Left rear is restricted by height as it absolutely cant exceed 21". Left rear and left side have the most flexibility, but loads an extreme side of the entire space.

If I could confidently place 2 ported cabinets on the left side of the room (really only 7ft apart) I would. But somethong tells me that isnt ideal. I'd probably get 2x FVX12 is that were an option.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Subs tend to need to go where they need to go rather than where you allow them :) Then there's going to four sealed for a bit more....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haha! 4 is absolutely off the table!
Darn. Which way I went for ease of building, number of drivers I had and chasing some ULF stuff. All larger than you'd allow it seems. I'd still look to ported for better efficiency, tho. Maybe the new RSL 12"

F

Fifteenfeetoff

Enthusiast
Darn. Which way I went for ease of building, number of drivers I had and chasing some ULF stuff. All larger than you'd allow it seems. I'd still look to ported for better efficiency, tho. Maybe the new RSL 12"
Thanks. Unfortunately, the RSL 12 only fits in the left rear location. No other location affords its size.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If ported and passive is in consideration, I would get dual (TWO separate) RBH S-1212N subs and use your own amps (like Crown, etc.). Then you would never have to worry about any built-in plate amp failure in the future and use any amps you want.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. Unfortunately, the RSL 12 only fits in the left rear location. No other location affords its size.
That's when I start rearranging the room :) But I'm single and rather have good audio than any aesthetic concerns....

F

Fifteenfeetoff

Enthusiast
If ported and passive is in consideration, I would get dual RBH S-1212N and use your own amps (like Crown, etc.). Then you would never have to worry about any built-in plate amp failure in the future and use any amps you want.

Does this solution lose the benefit of localization in a traditional dual sub (separate cabinets/locations) configuration?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Dual SB-3000s would be pretty good, that would be my choice. Don't go for a single sub solution if you can avoid it.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Suggest two SB-3000. SVS often has discount deals when you buy more than one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does this solution lose the benefit of localization in a traditional dual sub (separate cabinets/locations) configuration?
No, I was saying getting dual (two) subs, not one sub. Each sub has dual 12" woofers.

F

Fifteenfeetoff

Enthusiast
No, I was saying getting dual (two) subs, not one sub. Each sub has dual 12" woofers.
Ya. I noticed that. A pair of these is beyond my budget and the available space in the listening area. Thank you.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ya, the ULS15. And similar to the Rythmik E15 he mentioned… :)

Edit: actually the feet and grill and amp add to the dimensions a little…

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis