P

Pupp

Audioholic Intern
I was thinking about getting an AV receiver for my mom's bedroom. But I need a suggestion for a fairly low cost AV receiver that has decent reviews.

The greater reason for the receiver is the be able to hook up a wireless headphone, add some speakers eventually, and of course, it's always better to add components to an av receiver rather than directly to a TV's hdmi ports, especially since I want to eventually buy her better speakers.

I looked up adding a sound bar, but most if not all seem to want to plug in via the audio optical port, which the TV does not have. So I have to get an AV receiver eventually. Plus I don't need one that's huge either.

I almost bought a $700 AV reciever on black friday (the cost was $299), but after cables tax and some other stuff, it was going to more than I wanted. Plus it was sized to be a promintent component in a living room, not a bedroom. Svelte is good, if not essential. Or at least, not sized to look like it's the room's main attraction after the furniture.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
How about the Marantz 1403? or 1604? Both slim and have had good reviews.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Those Marantz receivers have a great form factor. I have the 1504 and 1604, and the slim design is very fetching. You certainly pay for it, though, as their are other units for the same price with more features and power - but that form factor is outstanding. I wrote up a couple of reviews for them here and on Amazon if you're interested.

It sounds like your first priority is a set of wireless headphones, with speakers coming sometime later on. Can you connect the headphones directly to the TV? You mention that it doesn't have an optical audio output, but does it have analog RCA or a 3.5mm audio output jack? If so, you may want to wait to get the receiver until closer to when you're ready to get speakers. While not in every way, receivers tend to get more features for less money the longer you wait. (except for sales, like you one you saw :)). The "not in every way" refers to analog audio inputs/outputs, that have been getting removed lately in exchange for more digital connections and better room calibration systems.

C

ChuckT

Enthusiast
Just bought self a Sony STR-DH550, refurbished from Crutchfield. Selected it by brand, inputs, and price (roughly that order). Appears to me that it was meant to be a European release (manuals in British English). One short coming is that setup is thru TV display, _possibly_ could do setup thru the controller.

C

ChuckT

Enthusiast
Finally got everything hooked up and ran the set up (thru the TV, as versus by using the controller). Easy enough, and, _that_ surprised me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis