generalkorrd

generalkorrd

Audioholic Intern
OP, for god's sake don't take anybody's word on here or anywhere about their personal preference on speakers, except as a push in the right direction. Don't buy any based purely on what anyone says without having listened to some first. Everybody's ear is different, and ultimately, you are the one who has to live with them, and pay for them. Hell, who knows, you may audition the a9's and some others mentioned and actually prefer the Polks! Take the advice given here, and find a store or maybe some forumites who own these things and listen before you buy.

I would be willing to buy an amp or reciever based on specs, advice and magazine or blog tests way before I would spend 1600 bucks( or more, or less) on speakers I have never heard.

My .02

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks to everyone who has posted so far, especially with the links. Looks like I have a lot of homework to do with finding a place to listen to all of these speakers. Also, great article about audio measurements, very similar to another one I've read.

I have another question if someone would be so kind as to explain it to me. It may be silly, but I e-mailed marantz out of curiosity just to see what they had to say about the power output of the receiver. The tech who emailed me back said that the receiver is 86% efficient when all channels are driven. What exactly does that mean for power output?

I guess I lied, I also would like to know about driving the speakers. I know many threads have said that I or whoever had asked before me will never need to drive a speaker up to its rated wattage. However, there are also plenty of threads that talk about how adding more power will give a much better overall sound. Granted I know BMXTRIX said I'm only in the wading pool and there are a lot of other things to take into account, but this was just something I was curious about and it occurred to me to ask as I'm asking about the receiver.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks to everyone who has posted so far, especially with the links. Looks like I have a lot of homework to do with finding a place to listen to all of these speakers. Also, great article about audio measurements, very similar to another one I've read.

I have another question if someone would be so kind as to explain it to me. It may be silly, but I e-mailed marantz out of curiosity just to see what they had to say about the power output of the receiver. The tech who emailed me back said that the receiver is 86% efficient when all channels are driven. What exactly does that mean for power output?

I guess I lied, I also would like to know about driving the speakers. I know many threads have said that I or whoever had asked before me will never need to drive a speaker up to its rated wattage. However, there are also plenty of threads that talk about how adding more power will give a much better overall sound. Granted I know BMXTRIX said I'm only in the wading pool and there are a lot of other things to take into account, but this was just something I was curious about and it occurred to me to ask as I'm asking about the receiver.

If I were you- I would forget about ALL that stuff for the time being. Go pick out some speakers in your budget that you like. The electronic side of things won't make near the difference in overall sound as the speakers. Whatever your budget is for speakers, get the best (to you) that you can afford. THEN, we'll help you spend your money on what to drive them. Most ALL of the speakers in your price range can be driven by a mid-range AVR. Speakers first, then focus on how to power them appropriately.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Fair enough for the second question, but I'd still like to make some sense of what the marantz tech said to me :confused: :D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Marantz still has good healthy power in surround mode. Some
receivers do not hold up as well.

Look at this for the SR5003 receiver.
Marantz SR5003 A/V Receiver HT Labs Measures | Home Theater

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Fair enough for the second question, but I'd still like to make some sense of what the marantz tech said to me :confused: :D
I'm pretty sure he said to go find some speaker you like and then get back to them so they can figure out which AVR will work best for you... :p:D

Just a guess- I'm guessing that means that the per channel rated wattage would be about 86 percent of its possible max per channel with all channels driven without clipping or distortion occuring. Honestly, thats pretty good- and with most speakers in your budget- overkill.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was just wondering why you would choose these over the polks. I have never heard the speakers that were mentioned, but I have heard the polks and the specs look pretty similar, especially with the Q900s. I have to look more at the philharmonic, but they look very interesting. Also, I hope someone could clarify (boredsysadmin if possible) why they think the polks are trash. Thanks again everyone.
The Polk Monitor 70's II Series were my go to for friends that have limited budget (since eclipsed by the Infinity Primus 300 series with the price adjustment as of 1.5 - 2 years ago). They were decent for the money. I also liked the LSi 9's if you could get them used and pair with a sub. Not at full retail though. Better options exist IMO.

Polk has shown at CapFest (Capital Audio Festival in Washington D.C) and at RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest). The response to their new/higher end/higher priced has been luke warm from what I have read.

I wonder if Polk is showing at Axpona?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Polk has shown at CapFest (Capital Audio Festival in Washington D.C) and at RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest). The response to their new/higher end/higher priced has been luke warm from what I have read.
I haven't heard them yet, but if the LSiCs are similar to the LSis, that doesn't surprise me.

jinjuku

jinjuku

OP, for god's sake don't take anybody's word on here or anywhere about their personal preference on speakers, except as a push in the right direction. Don't buy any based purely on what anyone says without having listened to some first. Everybody's ear is different, and ultimately, you are the one who has to live with them, and pay for them.
Agreed. But man oh man is it ever getting harder to audition a large selection of speakers. And even if you have a few shops with various brands the entire experience is going to be compromised by the changes wrought by the differences in rooms that you are going to listen in.

I know the best place is your own home but realistically lugging 6,7,8 plus speakers in and out. Whew...

I think a lot of people are now compromised by the fact there are fewer and fewer shops.

Try finding a Polk dealer with in 120 miles of Louisville...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm pretty sure he said to go find some speaker you like and then get back to them so they can figure out which AVR will work best for you... :p:D

Just a guess- I'm guessing that means that the per channel rated wattage would be about 86 percent of its possible max per channel with all channels driven without clipping or distortion occuring. Honestly, thats pretty good- and with most speakers in your budget- overkill.
I just wanted to know what he meant because I already have this receiver. I understand what you mean though about waiting to figure out amp, room config, etc until after I have all the speakers and whatnot.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Philharmonics will have resolution comparable to the highest end speakers.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed. But man oh man is it ever getting harder to audition a large selection of speakers. And even if you have a few shops with various brands the entire experience is going to be compromised by the changes wrought by the differences in rooms that you are going to listen in.

I know the best place is your own home but realistically lugging 6,7,8 plus speakers in and out. Whew...

I think a lot of people are now compromised by the fact there are fewer and fewer shops.

I agree, I'm having a hard time trying to find places to audition all of these suggestions. The other issue is that I did audition the polk A9's and they sounded pretty good to me, but the test was not realistic to my home environment. The receiver was different, offered a bit more power than mine and it was being driven in stereo mode by an additional amp as well. It's tough, especially as someone who is newer to this because I haven't had the experience with a wide variety of speakers.

Anywho, I do appreciate the advice and I shall keep trudging forward.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Philharmonics will have resolution comparable to the highest end speakers.
EXPLETIVE! I keep hearing/reading this. I almost NEED a pair now. But, I'm also eying a new driver and set of irons. 2 grand for those. Hmmmm.. speakers or golf clubs?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
EXPLETIVE! I keep hearing/reading this. I almost NEED a pair now. But, I'm also eying a new driver and set of irons. 2 grand for those. Hmmmm.. speakers or golf clubs?
Well, speakers will provide enjoyment without the frustration :p

Unless of course you are something like a 5 or less handicap......

But then again nothing like a little fresh air.

generalkorrd

generalkorrd

Audioholic Intern

This is very true, but if you happen to find a decent store, even though it is not your home, you can at least demo the speakers in the same environment against each other, and get a feel for how they compare. This is a situation where the forumites need to band together and have a huge demo party at someones place. That would actually be kinda cool...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That would be great if it were to actually happen, especially since store demos can be tricky. Yes I agree that you would start to get a feel for how the speakers perform, and heck I would appreciate a great store near me to try a few of these out, but my biggest concern is that usually in store demos are putting a lot more power through the speakers than I currently have.

When I heard the polk A9s they sound pretty good, but had about 400 watts per channel hooked up to them between the receiver and the amp. I don't have nearly that amount to put through them so I wonder how sound will be affected. Although at this point I don't think I'll be getting those anymore, I'm now leaning towards the philharmonics.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis