Debunking the Myth of Speaker Cable Resonance

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
.............I bought a cable from Transparent recently and had a GREAT experience.

Bottom line, if you are going to prove someone's claims to be false. My suggestion is FIRST find out what the specific claim is,..............

Finally someone that knows enough about cables and owns Transparent Audio Cables, as I do!

I'll tell you right now they're all jealous.

I was amazed at the considerably better transparency and dynamics, no harshness at all and greatly increases clarity.

If I was to judge them on nothing but their singularity. They would be worth what I've spent on their cables.

Oh, I almost forgot. I was even able to get rid of my Cable Elevators. Our housekeeper never put them back correctly after she vacuumed; problem solved.

Zero Strand Jumping problems with Transparent Audio Cables too.

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This didn't prove a thing to me. It just proved one test, but I have to see what the other tests are and one what equipment. This was NOT done in what I would think is a proper manner. First, I would state the SPECIFIC claim, then post the mfg's test equipment list, testing methodology and findings FIRST just to have a starting point, and then whatever these YoYo's come up with, I would like the mfg to be able to respond and have a DIALOG about it rather than what appears to be is another response that has far more snake oil than the original claim. The only thing I hear when I read these arguments from people trying to slam cable mfg are a bunch of jealous individuals that can't afford decent cables making up even worse snake oil in the process. Sorry but I sense BS.

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering. I studied transmission line theory, signal propagation through wave guides and fiber optics, and the most important in holding to this discussion, electrical fields. I'm well versed in signal propogation and the theory behind how fields are generated, how noise is controlled etc. What really burns my *** are the the manufacturers of cables and interconnects feeding the gullible such as yourself with pseudo science terms and incorrect engineering descriptions of signal propogation and stray field elimination. That is where the real BS lies. People that purchase esoteric cables because they look cool is one thing. I have no problems with that. But people who claim to hear differrences either dramatic or subtle are influenced by sighted audio evaluations which is flawed from the onset. It doesn't surprise me in the least that someone who purchased an esoteric cables hears something different. The purchaser paid money for them and is expecting to hear results so the mind fills in these expectations. The true BS are companies that market this shite through pseudo science and prey off the old axiom "There's a sucker born every minute"

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I have a degree in Electrical Engineering. I studied transmission line theory, signal propagation through wave guides and fiber optics, and the most important in holding to this discussion, electrical fields. I'm well versed in signal propogation and the theory behind how fields are generated, how noise is controlled etc. What really burns my *** are the the manufacturers of cables and interconnects feeding the gullible such as yourself with pseudo science terms and incorrect engineering descriptions of signal propogation and stray field elimination. That is where the real BS lies. People that purchase esoteric cables because they look cool is one thing. I have no problems with that. But people who claim to hear differrences either dramatic or subtle are influenced by sighted audio evaluations which is flawed from the onset. It doesn't surprise me in the least that someone who purchased an esoteric cables hears something different. The purchaser paid money for them and is expecting to hear results so the mind fills in these expectations. The true BS are companies that market this shite through pseudo science and prey off the old axiom "There's a sucker born every minute"

So their incredible singularity and zero strand jumping are all in one's imagination? :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So their incredible singularityand zero strand jumping are all in one's imagination? :D
Umm never even thought of putting it that way.. but as my daughters generation would say...."ummm yeah!!!!" :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.... I asked them to show data, produce tests, and all I got in return was the sound of crickets. ...
May be better than some telling you to go and listen for yourself as I have been told in the past ;) :D

R

Rich Davis

Enthusiast
First off, you mentioned Transparent Cables making some claim about resonance frequencies. I've looked at their web site and I didn't see ANYWHERE, where they mention this.

Now, when you have a big home stereo and you crank it up at reasonable levels, things in the room will vibrate because of certain bass frequencies, right? Maybe that's what they are talking about. Now, is that going to affect the sound system? Heck, I don't know if that's audible enough, but all they want to do is control the amount a cable is going to vibrate when you turn the system up, then that's what they are doing. I know that high current power cables have eddy current going through it and it might leak into another cable that's susceptible to noise. That's one issue these guys might want to deal with. I think those cable blocks they use are more for cable management to make sure cables are separated from other cables, and maybe to keep them isolated from the floor. Cable blocks or whatever you call them is fairly inexpensive compared to the price tag of these systems, and I wouldn't get all weird about it either way. If that's what some feel comfortable doing, then that's their thing.

Now, when it comes to different cables sounding different, I suggest you go to MIT Cables' website and READ and get to a point where you can comprehend EVERY SINGLE Technical Whitepapers, etc. They actually use some of the most precise test measurement equipment used in the audio equipment design/test industry and they are performing tests MOST people, EE's or otherwise, don't know much about. What I'm referring to are Articulation Measurements. They run a test to get a "response curve" of an analog cable. This PROVES that cables inherently act like a filter, which is what cables do to an audio signal, they filter the audio frequencies which in turn affects the sound, for the better or worse. Some can hear those subtle differences, some can't, and it's dependent on a LOT of factors. It takes time to evaluate what is going on since some cables make only make an improvement over and other cable with certain frequency ranges on certain equipment. Cables also have different impedance as does pre amps, power amps, speakers, so some cables are just better suited for certain equipment, which is another reason why some cables might work better or worse, and then there is the subjectivity, which is the listener decides what they like and don't like, that's all personal taste, just as some people like Panel speakers, others like traditional drivers, some prefer folded cabinets, some prefer compression horns, some prefer dome tweeters, etc. etc. etc.

But as far as resonances are concerned, I think they might be talking about when you turn up your system that cables physically resonate to certain frequencies (bass frequencies is my guess), just like things in your room might vibrate, like windows, tables, etc. etc. So maybe that's why they get those blocks to hold a cable in place.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Finally someone that knows enough about cables and owns Transparent Audio Cables, as I do!

I'll tell you right now they're all jealous.

I was amazed at the considerably better transparency and dynamics, no harshness at all and greatly increases clarity.

If I was to judge them on nothing but their singularity. They would be worth what I've spent on their cables.

Oh, I almost forgot. I was even able to get rid of my Cable Elevators. Our housekeeper never put them back correctly after she vacuumed; problem solved.

Zero Strand Jumping problems with Transparent Audio Cables too.
You have a housekeeper?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
We had to fire that b*#%h.
She didn't like my cable elevators.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Now, when you have a big home stereo and you crank it up at reasonable levels, things in the room will vibrate because of certain bass frequencies, right? Maybe that's what they are talking about. Now, is that going to affect the sound system? Heck, I don't know if that's audible enough, but all they want to do is control the amount a cable is going to vibrate when you turn the system up, then that's what they are doing.
Steven Tyler actually doesn't sound A capella in the shower like he does on stage. It's the swinging of the mic stand and the cable whipping around that does it :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis