Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Anyone have any familiarity with this speaker company, DCM Speakers? In my constant search for new and different I ran across their stuff. Looks pretty good and I guess their DCM26 won a Product of the Year award.

Haven't had a chance to find them or hear them but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
never heard of them, but they look like quality stuff

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Back in the day they had some pretty nice stuff. "Timewindows" comes to mind, but I could not comment on what they produce nowdays.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
I remember they used to be pretty big in building drivers. They used to build the Dome midrande for the infinity RS series of speakers in the 80's. This new stuff looks ok, although I dont know what good a sub is that plays 40-160 Hz and only has 100w of power. What are the prices like?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
They have reinventend themselves several times.

They hit the audiophile world in the early 80's with their time window/frame series.. Went overreal big. I kinda lost track of t hem until the mid 90's when they were selling their popular priced "CX" series of transmission line series of speakers, aimed basicaly at the HT market. They were quite highly regarded by the press. I've got a pair of CX 21 bookshelves in my cellar/mancave/exercise room system and love 'em.

Then, they dumped the "CX" line for the garish "KX" line which, due to incredible sensitivity and booming upper/mid bass, atempted to challenge Cervin Vega for the college dorm/party speaker sweepstakes. I'd say they did quite well but they totally lost any respect in the audiophile circles. They were my party speaker of choice whenever anyone asked me.

Now, they seem to be entering the in-wall and HT system speaker market. I do recall a very flattering review of one of their HT(speaker)IB systems within the past two years or so.

Considering their propensity for hitting their target pretty much dead center, I'd say they are seriously worth considering.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Their DCM series (16c, 16s) seems more in line with the Bic Venturi DV-62 series of speakers and their FT series is a little cheaper and seem in line with Cerwin-Vega's V-series.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Shadow_Ferret said:
Their DCM series (16c, 16s) seems more in line with the Bic Venturi DV-62 series of speakers and their FT series is a little cheaper and seem in line with Cerwin-Vega's V-series.
I think you hit the mark with the CV comparision. A little more of a "party speaker" than Polks or BICs. They get pretty loud. The prices on them make them tempting but the sound quality IMO doesn't compare with many I've heard. (of course the speakers I'm comparing are nearly twice the price.)

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Shadow_Ferret said:
Anyone have any familiarity with this speaker company, DCM Speakers? In my constant search for new and different I ran across their stuff. Looks pretty good and I guess their DCM26 won a Product of the Year award.

Haven't had a chance to find them or hear them but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?
Mark and Mac seem to remember them well from the 80's. I remember auditioning a set next to some Ohm Walsh towers. Both were pretty impressive in the bass department. I remember one thing, for that price, the midrange shouldn't be so muddy. The highs seemed lacking also, but I was younger and wasn't familiar with the amp they were coupled to. CD's were brand new at the time, and many "demo tapes" were played through Nakamichi Dragon Decks that had been eq'd to fool the buyer. It could have been a bad recording. Anyhow, they were not cheap, and I never thought they competed against Cerwin Vega's, but rather Design Acoustic, Ohm, Infinity (they were much higher end in the day), Polk SDA's, and Klipsch Horns.

annunaki

annunaki

DCM is similar to Athena, in that they are a great value per dollar speaker. The DCMs are much more laid back as opposed to the Athena though. (I know, we carry both brands at the store I manage.) The highs are not as detailed as the Athena's either, but are still good. Bass and midrange performance are pretty good as per their respective size. Tibre matching is very good. The subs are decent (with exception to the TB-1 and TB-2, poor frequency response on the low end) and play quite deep given their price. The nicer subs (TB-1010, TB-1212, TB-1515) are all passive radiator designs. Overall, the DCM line is great for someone on a budget for speakers. A 10 year warranty is also quite nice!

Buckeye,

You are thinking of the speakers from the mid '90s. The new models are pretty decent. They have some new higher end units available now as well. $1000 a pair or so.

http://www.dcmspeakers.com

Jmoney715

Jmoney715

Audioholic Intern
i believe circuit city carries them, well im sure that they have it on their internet site, they actually looks pretty nice too. first time ive ever heard of them

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello All
A little tid bit for ya! DCM stands for Delightfully Clear Music. I was disheartened when the company was acquired in the mid 1990's by MTX. The Time Frame and Time Window were beautiful sounding and well crafted speakers. If memory serves me correctly Steve Eberbach designed the Time Frame/Time Window speakers. I don’t have a clue as to who designed the new ones or even remotely know what they sound like.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Buckeye,

You are thinking of the speakers from the mid '90s. The new models are pretty decent. They have some new higher end units available now as well. $1000 a pair or so.

http://www.dcmspeakers.com
Electronics Limited, and Custom Sound Company in Younsgtown carried them in the early to mid 80's. I started college in '89, and both of those companies were long gone by then. These are the speakers I remember DCM selling:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rspkr&1032068115&read&3&4&

http://www.dcmspeakers.com/heritage.htm

Last edited:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
MacManNM said:
We saw those at that electronics discount sale. They used to use that Romantics song to advertise. What was the name of that?
What I like about you.....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
mtx

Now that you mention it, DCM's nicer subs(the ones with radiators) are the same as the mtx ones. The thing that gives it away is the small amp power and High, low frequency response for the driver size.

sheep

S

stealth

Enthusiast
DCM Speakers

Before when I was working with RadioShack Philippines. We have DCM, together with Pinnacle and Optimus loudspeakers. Frankly speaking, I don't have much of an idea about this DCM stuff, except for those bookshelf speakers that we used to play loud. Small but powerful and the only thing that's really got my attention was, many american expats in the Philippines bought this DCM and Pinnacle speakers than the Bose & Yamaha counterpart in the other showroom.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
MacManNM said:
We saw those at that electronics discount sale. They used to use that Romantics song to advertise. What was the name of that?
The albumn was "In Heat," and the three songs were Rock You Up, Talking In Your Sleep, and the one Brian mentioned. The sale was the WHOT FM 101 Half Price Sale at the Idora Park Ballroom underneath the Jack Rabbit. Memories... That's where I picked up those AAL's.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
The albumn was "In Heat," and the three songs were Rock You Up, Talking In Your Sleep, and the one Brian mentioned. The sale was the WHOT FM 101 Half Price Sale at the Idora Park Ballroom underneath the Jack Rabbit. Memories... That's where I picked up those AAL's.
Right, I thought it was Idora park. Anyhow, we saw those at the same place we saw those giant klipsh. If I remember correctly, they sounded pretty darn good but were expensive. Your AAL's sounded just as good though :D .

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Blue Highway

MacManNM said:
Right, I thought it was Idora park. Anyhow, we saw those at the same place we saw those giant klipsh. If I remember correctly, they sounded pretty darn good but were expensive. Your AAL's sounded just as good though :D .
They were pushing those 3 way 12" AAL acoustic suspensions with a massive Soundcraftsman amp. I can still see it. The grill was off, white woofer, playing Billy Idol's "Blue Highway." The beginning of that song is awesome for tight bass and blaring guitars. Those white woofers were jumping all over the place. I think the spl on those things were near 100! My brother still has them, but they are on their third set of tweeters (horns now), and third set of woofers. Amazingly, the midranges are original! I think the year was 1984.

pikers

pikers

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
...CD's were brand new at the time, and many "demo tapes" were played through Nakamichi Dragon Decks that had been eq'd to fool the buyer..
Who did this? Sounds like more anti-dealer BS...

That was the best tape deck then and probably now. Deal with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis