Enthusiast
So I ran into some more of my dads old stereo gear and found the following:

Nikko Gamma 49 FM Tuner
Nakamichi 682ZX Cassette Deck
PS Audio Pre Amp
Leach Amp
DCM Time window speakers
Rega Planar 3 Record Player

What im most curious about is the DCM Time Windows. Does anyone have any information on them - are they even still around? I was told that if you pointed the speakers at each other, the sound would feel like it was coming right at you (when stand to the left or right of them). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The13thGryphon

The13thGryphon

Audioholic
Here's a couple of links that may be of assistance.

Audio Ideas Guide review of the DCM Time Windows:
http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/dcm.html

Manufacturer's web site:
http://www.dcmspeakers.com/

For what it's worth I remembering listening to a pair of Time Windows many years ago, and I recall being pretty favoribly impressed. Can't be much more specific than that as it was long, long ago. Sorry.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I also remember listening to them a long time ago. Nice speakers. You can usualy find them on ebay. The prices they are selling for might give you some idea if people still like and want them.

SBF1

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
Never owned them, but heard them many times. They were my favorite speakers for quite awhile. Up to that point, I had always lusted after Dahlquist speakers. Never could afford those either. :(

The13thGryphon

The13thGryphon

Audioholic
I heard that!

The Dahlquist DQ-10's were the very first "high end" speakers I fell in love with... but that was a long time ago (and we're dating ourselves by admitting it). :p

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
Yes, we are, but those curves and those 3 pedestal bases!! I need to excuse myself. ;)

jft

Audiophyte
I have a pair of original Time Windows purchased directly from the factory. I used to live in Ann Arbor when they were originally made. I was a supplier to DCM when Steve owned them.

They are not produced anymore and the company is now owned by MTX (I beleive). You have a rare gem on your hands.

Do not aim them at each other---
Set the backs no closer to the wall than 11"
They will fill the room like few can.
You can tighten up the bass response by using spikes, just be careful drilling into the bottom as the crossovers are located there.

E-mail me and I can provide schematics.
More than likely you will need new grill cloth...

Oldtimewindow

Audiophyte
Original DCM Timewindow owner

It sounds like your dad bought his system about the time I put mine together. I got the time windows by default in 1980. I won't go into that story here. Suffice it to say that I have enjoyed these speakers as much as any others I could have bought. The original company that made these speakers no longer exists and I find the current company doing business under the same name to do a disservice. I would recommend searching more on the internet for more information about these speakers. There are some modifications that would take the original speakers into a realm unreachable with any other equipment. I don't currently have the links but some of the ideas are to use modeling clay to deaden some of the resonance inside the case that will distort the output. The pure set up for these speakers is 8' apart with the left channel speaker on the listener's right. these speakers are numbered. the lower serial number is the left channel speaker. The 30 degree face will reflect from the wall giving a sense of three dimensional sound if the listener is at the apex of the triangle of the speakers. that is standing in the center of the speakers about 8 feet in front of the speakers. These speakers were high end quality. Do not let anyone tell you these are junk. It was a matter of choice but these speakers required allot of power to make them come alive. If you are ever interested in offloading you dad's old system I would be an interested buyer. But only if you don't plan to keep them. :cool:

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers

MG,
Borrow the speakers from Dad. They should sound better than the bookshelf speaker options in your modest budget. If you are planning on 2 channel for now, then also borrow an old reaceiver.

J

Jamie Hauser

Audiophyte
JFT what schematics would you have availible? I would be interested in the SuroundScape Center and the TW 3.

C

cquimby

Audiophyte
Help with parts??

Greetings!

I purchased a pair of DCM Time Windows in the mid 80’s. The serial #’s are 36332, 36487. The woofer (top right) in 36332 has blown and needs replacing. Do you know where I can get a suitable replacement ( I realize I may need 2 for correct mirroring) ?
I’m not a repair expert so plse forgive me if this request sounds juvenile. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Chris Quimby
Rhinebeck, NY 12572
845-516-4188

I have a pair of original Time Windows purchased directly from the factory. I used to live in Ann Arbor when they were originally made. I was a supplier to DCM when Steve owned them.

They are not produced anymore and the company is now owned by MTX (I beleive). You have a rare gem on your hands.

Do not aim them at each other---
Set the backs no closer to the wall than 11"
They will fill the room like few can.
You can tighten up the bass response by using spikes, just be careful drilling into the bottom as the crossovers are located there.

E-mail me and I can provide schematics.
More than likely you will need new grill cloth...

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
These were my (years ago) and many others first hi-end speaker....enjoy!

D

DiverDave

Audiophyte
Me Too

I also have an original pair of DCM T/W's. Need new cover cloth. I had these rebuilt back in 1995. Might be time to do it again but I too understand the company no longer supports these. Any one?
Thanks
Dave
dgirdler(at)saber(dot)net

R

resolution

Audiophyte
Selling a Pair of DCM Time Windows

I have a pair of DCM time windows that I bought many years ago. They produced fantastic sound, but never met my wife's designer criteria due to the size. To make a long story short they went reluctantly into storage in my attic. When I last used them they worked well, but in storage the speakers at the bottom have come loose from the mount. I am guessing that it would be an easy repair. Also, I have replaced the cloth covering on these some time ago with a different black speaker cloth.

I have decided to sell them, but do not know where to find an interested buyer. It seems that there is some interest here. Note that all proceeds from this sale will be donated to the Leukemia Lymphoma Society.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
Ah, the reason I got bit by the audio bug. Saw a pair on craigslist months ago, guy had them boxed up for a while. They looked to be in decent shape, kinda still wish I had grabbed them.

The DCM offerings I have seen of late just aren’t in the same league. Time Frame, Image Master….like taking a trip down memory lane.

P.S. For those looking to sell, also try craigslist and audiogon.com

R

resolution

Audiophyte
I have looked at Craig's List and do not currently see any DCM Time Windows. Any sense for price?

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
Does anyone remember these speakers? Design Acoustics PS10. PS stood for point source, with the tweeter placed very near the mid, in a mirrored configuration. The slot at the bottom was for a down-firing 10” woofer. I remember I convinced my father to buy a pair. Man, I though those were the coolest speakers ever.

(Apologies to the OP for the hijack)

C

camaraderie

Audiophyte
I knew the original designer and company management back in the 80's and 90's and everyone above is correct about the speakers being deigned and built to the highest standards and brought to market at prices well below what other audiophile grade speakers were selling for at the time. They did pioneering work with transmission line design and the original TW became an instant classic. They got in bed with the mass merchants in the 90's and lost their way...producing a series of price point oriented speakers that were a complete departure and more designed to compete with Cerwin Vega boomers than other budget priced high quality speakers. MTX did buy them and still owns them. The manuals for the TWseven are still on line on their site and will still be useful to you to help understand the placement and principles underlying he original:
dcmspeakers. com /manuals /TimeWindowSeven.pdf

(can't post links yet...eliminate the spaces!)

You will find the TW's very neutral and transparent with excellent imaging when placed correctly. They are fairly reactive and need a good amp to drive them properly and it looks like you have that. Don't expect to be blown away but give them a while to grow on you and after a while you'll begin to notice things you DON'T like about other peoples speakers!
I owned a pair of TF2000's which were designed for more rectangular rooms (TW's are best in squarish rooms) and they are still my favorites of all time...but one could be buried in them and the WAF does have to be considered! :D

Anyway...enjoy the TW's...you have a set of classics!

R

resolution

Audiophyte
Determining TW Model

I went to the DCM site and looked at the Time Window manuals and none of these looks like mine. I am sure that when I bought them in the 70s they were called Time Windows, but I see no placard for a model # or serial #. Where is that located? Unlike the manuals here, my speakers are curved in the back and only have flat sides in the front.

Also, one of the speakers has come loose from its mounting. It looks like it was held there with some sort of thermoplastic material that penetrated a hole in the speaker and adhered to the fiberboard material below. Not being an audiophile I have to wonder if there is a good reason to not just glue this or screw this in place? If so, where can I get this material to make a repair?

K

kgirrard

Audiophyte
Sounds like you have the same TimeWindow 1A speakers that I have, or possibly something predating them. Being a complete pack-rat I still have the original "Owner's Instructions" and DCM's product literature advertising this line.

The product info on my speakers is located on the input panel and identifies them as TimeWindow 1A, made in Ann Arbor, MI.

The instructions don't describe much on placement, only that "since the Time Window 1A has a wide angle sound distribution you have unusual flexibility of positioning while still producing excellent sound." Their only suggestion is that you try turning them toward your listening position, and that you be careful watering plants placed on top of the speakers. :)

The only repair I've had to make was re-attaching one wood top that broke loose during a move. I'd use an epoxy to reattach the loose speaker, mainly for bond strength. I'd be nervous that screws might break up the particle board face; it's a dense material, but brittle.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis