Dayton HO design check

S

Solidcrowd

Audiophyte
So I'm looking to port an enclosure I purchased off CL for my home audio setup. I have TWO Dayton Audio RSS315ho-44 DVC 12" HO's which will be powered by my 240wrms plate amp @ 4ohm.

The enclosure is a slant(wedge 2) dual sealed enclosure with seperate chambers.

Dimensions are:
34.625"W X 11.9375" H1 (Bottom Height) X 9.25" H2 (Top Height) X 12.625" D
Thickness = 5/8" MDF.

I figured my subs will get 0.959 cuft. each. If I go ported, I was thinking a 2" flared port in Each chamber @ 9.35" long will give me 30hz, but that would leave me with only ~1-2" from the wall depending on what sides I cut into. I am worried about port noise, especially if I throw more wattage at them.

If someone can check in bassBox or winsid, I'd like to see what has a better frequency response and higher output; sealed or ported (and what Hz is best). I want to get low for movies, but still sound good for music (rock and rap). Or tell me what size port and length I should get.

Here is my design (the slant is not that prominent):

The enclosure I will be stripping down, sand, and paint or wrap to appear like the setup below.

Here are my driver parameters:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can't get to my winisd right now but my hunch is a 2" port is gonna be noisy, and also I don't know if you'll even be able to tune that small of enclosure to 30hz. Another thing is the fs of the driver is 21hz. I would throw the box away, and start over and build 2 separate enclosures that are properly sized and tuned closer to 20hz each. Youll get better performance from 2 separate enclosures vs one.

S

Solidcrowd

Audiophyte
Well they don't necessarily share the enclosure, since they are separated chambers. According to partsexpress the Daytons strangely require small enclosures. I'm a noob with Winsid and don't have Bass box to figure it out. Here's some info straight from their website: (don't know what F3 means to my design plans)

Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity suggestion)
  • Sealed Volume 0.49 ft.³
  • Sealed F3 47 Hz
  • Vented Volume 1.36 ft.³
  • Vented F3 27 Hz

annunaki

annunaki

You need to check the vent velocity on your design. You are going to have a lot of vent noise. I would recommend leaving them sealed or building new properly vented enclosures.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
  • Sealed F3 47 Hz
  • Vented F3 27 Hz
If you're only able to provide .9 cuft per driver, then you do not have sufficient volume for a ported sub in that enclosure. F3 is the frequency response, 3dB down.

S

Solidcrowd

Audiophyte
I asked because I've read on forums that PE suggestion numbers are off alot of the time. I was hoping someone could run the numbers and see the output/response difference betwen leaving it sealed or going ported with my design.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Well they don't necessarily share the enclosure, since they are separated chambers. According to partsexpress the Daytons strangely require small enclosures. I'm a noob with Winsid and don't have Bass box to figure it out. Here's some info straight from their website: (don't know what F3 means to my design plans)

• Sealed F3 47 Hz
  • Vented F3 27 Hz
Those are the same specs listed at Dayton Audio as well.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've played around with it and with your proposed box with .9 cu ft for each driver and a 2" vent for each you will only be able to feed it 100w before the cone goes into over-excursion.

With a vented box this driver doesn't appear to have enough xmax for any sort of output. I only applied 100w and couldn't get it to output anything that great.

Sealed it can handle a lot of power, but the response curve is pretty ugly. F3 is 57hz or so.

Maybe someone can design a better box that will help you.

T

toffkanda

Enthusiast
On WinISD this sub does appear to want a small box between 2 and 2.5 cuft but the challenge is port velocity. Large enough port surface area= port gets too long. It may best be suited to a passive radiator alignment if adequate 20hz spl is desired.
With two subs one might attain 112db at 20hz if the room is right.

S

Solidcrowd

Audiophyte
Based on all the opinions I am going to leave it sealed. How much polyfill should I add in each chamber and what can I do EQ or otherwise to extend more bottom end? I have a Yamaha HTR-5960 along with my 240wrms @4ohm plate amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Based on all the opinions I am going to leave it sealed. How much polyfill should I add in each chamber and what can I do EQ or otherwise to extend more bottom end? I have a Yamaha HTR-5960 along with my 240wrms @4ohm plate amp.
What plate amp? Some have a built in boost....

ps usual formula for polyfill is 1 lb per cuft.

S

Solidcrowd

Audiophyte
Indeed has bass boost with detailed instructions on implementation....
I don't know if that is something I am prepared to do lol, but I think I will give it a shot. I can solder, but circuitry and resistors are intimidating. I just don't want to break anything since I'm on a tight-to nonexistent budget.

Considering I will be running the TWO Dayton HOs off 250wrms total, in .959 cuft Each, and possibly adding 1/2lb of Acousta-Stuf in each chamber.
Which Freq. and DB value should I select? This doesn't look like something I want to keep adjusting.

I currently only have a solder gun that looks like this..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know if that is something I am prepared to do lol, but I think I will give it a shot. I can solder, but circuitry and resistors are intimidating. I just don't want to break anything since I'm on a tight-to nonexistent budget.

Considering I will be running the TWO Dayton HOs off 250wrms total, in .959 cuft Each, and possibly adding 1/2lb of Acousta-Stuf in each chamber.
Which Freq. and DB value should I select? This doesn't look like something I want to keep adjusting.

I currently only have a solder gun that looks like this..
Don't blame ya. The Yamahas aren't famous for lower bass eq via YPAO but you could perhaps consider a miniDSP unit (one of their 2x4 models).

T

toffkanda

Enthusiast
250WRMS for both drivers total may not be able to do it with this sub rated at 700w rms and from a quick check on WinISD gets to about 109db for 500w per driver in a ported alignment much less in a sealed alignment where you would require much more power for meaningful equalization.
You may need an outboard pro amplifier.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis