Dayton Audio T652 Tower Speakers Overview & Brief Review.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Dayton Audio T652 Tower Speakers Overview & Brief Review

From Nov. 2014

I got these almost 2 weeks ago. I've been a bit busy lately, so I was not able to play with them. I'll give them a week to open up. Here are some pics in the meanwhile.:cool:

The box is here.
:cool:

They are packed in thick foam(Top and Bottom).

As you can see they are well secured by Dayton.

Wrapped in nice plastic.

Nice rubber feet on bottom.

Speaker wires and manual.

Front and back of the grills.

Back of speaker with spring loaded speaker terminals.

(30 inches tall)Dual 6-1/2" polypropylene cone with 4-layer coil Tweeter: 5/8" polycarbonate dome with ferrofluid cooling. 5 inches shorter than the Pio Phil modded 52's(35 inch tall) I think the Dayton looks nicer looks wise. I like the black finish(Black ebony pica vinyl cabinet finish. Made of wood.) better than the Pio.

Music That I Use For Testing Out My Speakers:

I also included the remastered CD's with excellent audio quality: Elvis Is Back and From Elvis In Memphis.

Acknowledgments:
First of all Thank You Rich from Parts-Express for sending me these to demo.
I'd like to say I'm not a reviewer, but have loved electronics since I was 9 or 10 years old and have been through alot of budget speakers that have sounded amazing and some not. I recently got a permenant job, so I've been a bit busy never the less I've been listening to these for 2 months. Please feel free to ask any questions, just don't get too technical. :)
Jan 13, 2014
Dayton T652 Brief Review:

These took about a week or so to open up. I have these setup 6 feet apart to get a nice balance soundstage. I am 8 feet away. The tweeters are at ear level. They are tucked(toed in) in 5 and half inches. I tried 2-5inches of toe in and 5 was the best balance. It took me a while to get these just right for a good balance, but when I did I just sat back and enjoyed. I got the separation(Left and right speaker) just right. :) As you can see I used different types of music, but mostly Jazz CD's for clear cymbals and bass. Once the speakers were toed in just right the magic began. These speakers sound really nice for the budget price. Nice highs and mids to my amazement and play pretty loud too. Fiona Apple's voice was clear as a bell. Her breathing between is heard, which is not often heard in some speakers in this price range. Presleys voice is clear and the music separation is really clear and not muffled. The other thing that bugs me is sibilance and I'm happy to say there is little to none on these. Hooray. It does ok with bass, but to compliment it I'd recommend a sub. The Dayton 1200 took care of this perfectly. I bet these would be just as good for HT movies, which I did not try, but if it sounds this good for music, then...I can't tell you how good these are. Just get a pair and see for yourself. I bet for the price you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
How do they sound as compared to the Pios? The AAL? The Primus?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
slipperybidness thanks for the question. I think the Pio's 52's only problem was sibilance, which bothered me, but after the Dennis's Mod it's less intrusive and the clarity is much better. I had the Primus 162's for a couple of months and always felt they sounded muffled and not clear. Some other members here have said this as well. I sold them. I like TREBLE so I can hear every sound. I'm telling you these Dayton T652's sound really nice and can go toe to toe with the Pio's. Yeah I said it. :)

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the review. They do look to have a little better fit and finish than the Pioneer. I think this adds to the pride of ownership factor. Having been somewhat impressed by the stock Pio's at their price, these seem to be a very viable option for a budget double duty system. Is there a mated center or rears designed to go with these?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the review. They do look to have a little better fit and finish than the Pioneer. I think this adds to the pride of ownership factor. Having been somewhat impressed by the stock Pio's at their price, these seem to be a very viable option for a budget double duty system. Is there a mated center or rears designed to go with these?
Hi JohnnieB and thanks for the compliment. They do look real nice in person. I might hook these up for my PJ for a 2.0 or 3.0 and get the dayton center, which I did not know they had. This is the only center Dayton Audio CCS-33B and rear Dayton Audio B452 of Dayton that I know of.
upload_2015-1-17_17-35-1.jpeg

M

markosti

Enthusiast
Love them, a friend of mine has them and I'm considering getting them too :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis