Dayton audio 7” epique

A

Ajcasey

Audiophyte
I’ll admit I jumped the gun before getting enough info and got a Dayton epique 7” and don’t really know what the hell im doing and I’m bout to burn this damn thing to a pile of dust. I’m just wanting to do a 2.1 build I guess somthing relatively simple. Where should I cross this over at where can I get a cross over how big of a box I’m really getting aggravated with this whole deal if someone could help a brother out here would be freaking great. Thanks in advance

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I’ll admit I jumped the gun before getting enough info and got a Dayton epique 7” and don’t really know what the hell im doing and I’m bout to burn this damn thing to a pile of dust. I’m just wanting to do a 2.1 build I guess somthing relatively simple. Where should I cross this over at where can I get a cross over how big of a box I’m really getting aggravated with this whole deal if someone could help a brother out here would be freaking great. Thanks in advance
The bottom of this page shows vented and sealed box size- someone here should be able to model the enclosure and determine the port diameter and length- be patient. The link shows ,75 cubic feet, but the port will affect that- they can't be expected to model this for every application.

In the meantime, what amplifier are you using to drive it, what are the main speakers and what are you using to drive them?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you want help, you'll need to be a lot more clear on your goals.
You said a 2.1 build... so two Speakers L and R plus a Subwoofer?

If I were to use this Driver, I would use it as a woofer in a larger 3-way Stand Mount. You need a cabinet volume of about 1 cu.ft to account for some losses of internal space (targeting .75cu.ft for the woofer enclosure). If you follow the suggestions from PE, you can tune that Box to about 31Hz, but they don't give a port diameter or length, so that still would need to be worked out.
Again, if it were me, I'd look to cross this driver around 800Hz, say... To a mid range driver. Then you still need a tweeter. Two of everything for 2 Speakers.
For a Sub, there are easy-ish kits. Perhaps something using the Dayton 12" HF Subwoofer Driver.

It's a lot easier to pick a tweeter and work your way down, when it comes to matching Drivers. I think the absolute biggest problem with these Epiques is their low sensitivity. By the time you get it wired up and in a box with XO network, I'd be surprised if you kept overall sensitivity for the Speaker above 82dB.
You could design the system as Active Speakers with amps and DSP to manage the integration, and that may help some... but again... Not really understanding what it is you want out of this, we can only spitball.

If you want to learn a little about Speaker Design, you could buy a book like the Weems or Murphy books on Speaker Design. There are two other good books, but the Weems and Murphy are the better introductory sources.
There is a lot that goes into designing a halfway decent Speaker. Doing so from scratch and without the proper knowledge will be a daunting task, I'm afraid.
I've been working on my own plans for four years and haven't built a d@mn thing!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis