Dawgcrusher needs a new home (subwoofer)

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
The title says it all. This sub needs a new home since I picked up a pair of Funk 18.0s (Thanks Andrew). I purchased this from Paradigmdawg. It is passive, so you will need an amp to drive it. It has been a phenomenal sub, and if I had the space I would keep it. It originally replaced a JL F112 and I had no regrets. I will link to the original for sale thread as well as PDawg's quest for a replacement. $500 plus shipping. I will cover Paypal. Local pickup welcome (54902).

Attachments

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I also have a smaller version with a TC sounds Epic 12 available for $250 plus shipping.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, awesome versatile passive subs for only $500 and $250 each.

I love passive subs forever. :D

Matt34

Matt34

Do you have the orginal packing box for the sub? How much shipped to 80911?

Enclosure and the 15"

Last edited:
O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Sent you a pm Matt. Forgot to put in the shipping box dimensions are 28 x 25 x25. My zip is 54902 in case you want to double check shipping estimates.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Just say the word. It can all be yours again :)

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
Any chance you (oppman) or paradigm dog could compare the big one to my SVS PC12 NSD? I live in the Twin Cities... So close...

What kind of amp does the little guy need?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Any chance you (oppman) or paradigm dog could compare the big one to my SVS PC12 NSD? I live in the Twin Cities... So close...

It will it up the pc12. Grab a 250 to 350 pro amp from crown, Behringer, etc and your good. For optimal performance get a minidsp or similar eq/crossover.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
T

timmay8612

Audioholic
I would let something like Audyssey EQ the sub, then use Dynamic EQ and output the LFE to something like a $340 HSU sub amp or $400 Dayton sub amp.

HSU 500 Watt Amplifier for TN Series

Dayton Audio SA1000 Subwoofer Amplifier Rack Mountable

Crown XLS 1000 would also work.
That's kinda how I figured it worked. After all, my current signal chain is AVR -> Audyssey EQ -> SVS Amp -> PC12. So why wouldn't I just swap out and make it AVR -> Audyssey EQ -> Pro Amp -> Dawgcrusher

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's kinda how I figured it worked. After all, my current signal chain is AVR -> Audyssey EQ -> SVS Amp -> PC12. So why wouldn't I just swap out and make it AVR -> Audyssey EQ -> Pro Amp -> Dawgcrusher
Great minds think alike. ;)

That is why I will only own externally powered subs, instead of internally powered subs.

Great thing about externally powered sub is that it is easier to change amps if you want to. Also saves you a lot of money on amps in some cases where manufacturers charge $1-2K for the internal amps. If you need more power, you get more power. If you don't, then it is also your choice. And if you are worried about needing peak limiters, the Crown amps and other sub amps also come with peak limiters and other EQ/DSP if you like. :)

There has been debate about the EQ capability of AVR/pre-pros vs. Sub.

So it comes down to the $1K sub's EQ vs $1K AVR's EQ, $5K sub's EQ vs $5K pre-pro's EQ, $10K sub's EQ vs $10K pre-pro's EQ.

Or what about a $1K sub's EQ vs a $2K AVR? Or $1K sub's EQ vs a $3K pre-pro's EQ?

Do you like the sub's plate amp's EQ or Audyssey vs Trinnov vs ARC, etc.?

If you believe that Trinnov or ARC or Audyssey XT32 is the best, would you let your sub perform the EQ?

Last edited:
O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic

I used a Behringer EP2500 with each sub. A buddy of mine uses the 1500 with a sub identical to the 12" in his garage and that is plenty of power. I can't compare to the PC 12, but I can compare to the SVS SB13 and I can tell you the Dawgcrusher plays much cleaner. The fact that I replaced a JL Fathom with the Dawgcrusher should say a lot.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis