Dark Side Of The Moon 50th Anniversary!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
True enough but the whole exercise seems a bit dubious.
You could order one. If it doesn't audibly perform any better than the disc you already have, and Amazon refuses to accept a return, then you could sell it on eBay for $20 or so and only lose less than $10.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could order one. If it doesn't audibly perform any better than the disc you already have, and Amazon refuses to accept a return, then you could sell it on eBay for $20 or so and only lose less than $10.
So it is something superior to my current 5.1 recording....different mix and by who under what circumstances, etc?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
So it is something superior to my current 5.1 recording....different mix and by who under what circumstances, etc?
It's not only a different mix but advertised as a new complete remastering of the original recording with uncompressed audio format.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just ordered it too. Managed to get free same day shipping, so it will be here tonight.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I just ordered it too. Managed to get free same day shipping, so it will be here tonight.
Let us know about your review. I'm not an expert on this type of music. About 30 years ago, my son had bought the CD and I had listened to it once or twice. I liked some of the tracks then. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Let us know about your review. I'm not an expert on this type of music. About 30 years ago, my son had bought the CD and I had listened to it once or twice. I liked some of the tracks then. :)
I have the SACD also, and that multichannel mix is already quite good. Interested to hear this one. The review suggests it is tastefully done.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then you can mail it to me of course! ;)
LOL not like I still wouldn't have a few copies of various forms (basic vinyl, mofi vinyl, cd, SACD). Dammit, I'll probably end up buying it....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Had the LP years ago but now only the cd. Still like it but really have to be in the mood to listen to it anymore.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Had the LP years ago but now only the cd. Still like it but really have to be in the mood to listen to it anymore.
I am not always in the mood to listen to it either, but when I am, the multichannel mix adds a lot to the experience. We will see if Atmos adds anything to that.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It showed up, I threw it in immediately and listened to the whole thing. This isn't the kind of album that you just listen to a few tracks or bits an pieces. It urges you to listen all the way through. They really did go all out for this one IMHO. There was always a bit of "muffle" to it, even on the SACD, which I thought was just how the master must be. The SACD is still very clear despite that and I can crank it, but the improvements here are very noticeable. Some things have changed in a good way and others were sort of left the same with a bigger presentation. I believe the previously linked reviewer said the mix was done "respectfully" and I would have to agree. There's nothing gimmicky here.

Speak to Me and Breathe sound very similar to before, except for the synth which is either really remastered or was totally redone. That was a bit surprising, but the clarity it provides still works. With On The Run, the footsteps that previously sounded like someone running from speaker to speaker with a bit of depth to it, now sounds like someone running about the room, complete with the sense of the size of the room. On Time, the clocks always sounded impressive and clear, now they have an added sense of the space you are in with them. The coins and drawer sound pretty much the same on Money, which works for me. I don't think it needed anything added. Bass on the album as a whole feels cleaner and more pronounced.

For most of the tracks, the Atmos isn't in your face, it is used effectively to give a huge front stage and a lot of the ambient synth and guitar sort of floats above. Some vocals, like the echo on Us and Them, almost seem to float away above you. Probably the single most noticeable improvement though is the ambient voices. The levels of them have been increased and they are very clear and more prominent now across the whole album. Overall, I will say: fans of this album and Atmos should pick this one up.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just did a quick compare to the SACD. The DSD still has a lot of presence and clarity. The mix is a little different with Atmos though. I had not noticed it, but on Time, the last clock chiming is in a different location. There are a number of small differences like that, but the overall presentation still has the same effect. The laughing moves around the back of the room and then to the center on the SACD while in the Atmos mix, it hangs above you in the rear, then moves front. At the end of Time, there is a woman saying "I never said I was afraid of dying" coming from the right rear and it is so clear and distinct that it surprised me and I had to look, BOTH times I listened to it lol. The SACD always felt spacious and it actually has more separation than the Atmos mix, but the Atmos mix feels huge and has more presence in the room.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I just did a quick compare to the SACD. The DSD still has a lot of presence and clarity. The mix is a little different with Atmos though. I had not noticed it, but on Time, the last clock chiming is in a different location. There are a number of small differences like that, but the overall presentation still has the same effect. The laughing moves around the back of the room and then to the center on the SACD while in the Atmos mix, it hangs above you in the rear, then moves front. At the end of Time, there is a woman saying "I never said I was afraid of dying" coming from the right rear and it is so clear and distinct that it surprised me and I had to look, BOTH times I listened to it lol. The SACD always felt spacious and it actually has more separation than the Atmos mix, but the Atmos mix feels huge and has more presence in the room.
Thanks JG throwing in my Amazon cart. $20 is a great deal. Waters is gonna make lots of money from all of us.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like this Atmos mix a lot better than what the SACD 5.1 in the DSU up mixer can do. I’m setup in 5.1.4.

The effects are very smooth as it pans around the room.

They should redo more albums this way. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like this Atmos mix a lot better than what the SACD 5.1 in the DSU up mixer can do. I’m setup in 5.1.4.

The effects are very smooth as it pans around the room.

They should redo more albums this way. :)
I do think this is the one I will thrown in from now on when I want to listen to it. I would LOVE them to give Wish You Were here the same treatment.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I do think this is the one I will thrown in from now on when I want to listen to it. I would LOVE them to give Wish You Were here the same treatment.
Agree 2025 is the 50th anniversary. Hoping for something special for Wish You We’re Here. it’s my favorite Floyd.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Who Quadrophenia is 50 also and is getting the Atmos treatment

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Does anyone know a retail store (Walmart?) who has this in stock for $20 like Amazon? I'm in Spokane headed to San Francisco, via Bend Oregon tomorrow and would love to pick this up in my travels. Tuesday we leave San Francisco and head to Palm Springs for a week or so. Fly back home on the 15th. Maybe Costco has it by now?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Does anyone know a retail store (Walmart?) who has this in stock for $20 like Amazon? I'm in Spokane headed to San Francisco, via Bend Oregon tomorrow and would love to pick this up in my travels. Tuesday we leave San Francisco and head to Palm Springs for a week or so. Fly back home on the 15th. Maybe Costco has it by now?
You can get it from Amazon.ca for $32.10:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis