• Thread starter Rock&Roll Ninja
  • Start date
Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
The doctor said I need to lose a few dozen pounds. So in addition to amending my 'take-out 10 times a week' diet, I've also signed-up at the Y to get some good ol' exercise in.

Now mind you I haven't exercised in awhile..... Clinton was in office then.

Now I do move around a bit, I'm not one of those shut-ins who couldn't get out of the couch if the house was fire or anything, but the cigarettes and the 12" prime-rib & peppercorn Quiznos sub weren't making my 2nd story walkup any easier.

So my first day at the gym I figure I'll take it slow. I walk around all the time so I figure I can do a brisk walk for 60 minutes. The treadmills all have 9" TVs built into them (with headphones) to take your mind off of the tedium (The man who combined a TV with a treadmill is truly a forgotten genius). Now the bad thing is that 60 minutes of Becker and The King of Queens reruns can distract you. Distract you enough that your brain doesn't listen to your feet when they say they want to stop around 40 minutes in....nooooo.... just keep up walking briskly.

So now my socks are bloody. Guess that what I get for buying $9 sneakers.(Ironically I had a crapload of disposable income this weekend and could have bought $500 shoes... but was too lazy to go to the mall and try any on.... had to just buy whatever fit from Wal*Mart)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Get a nice pair of walking or running shoes (New Balance, Saucony, etc), a nice pair of walking or running socks (polyester, nylon, acrylic, wools ok - no cotton), and don't stay on the treadmill for an hour. It's pretty pointless.

You're much better off staying on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes, then spending the other 30 minutes doing some light weight training. Do some bicep curls, leg presses, sit ups, chest presses, etc. Your gym should have a trainer you can borrow for 15 minutes to work up a basic weight routine for you. The goal is to get most of your major muscle groups (biceps, triceps, chest, abs, glutes, quads, back) and just work them a bit to maintain your current muscle or even build a little.

The weights thing is very important. If you don't work the muscles, they are the first thing to go when you lose weight because they are expensive calorically. Another effect of "calorically expensive" muscles is that they make you lose weight more quickly, just because they burn calories like mad when they're not doing anything.

Cut down on the calories and do the gym thing 2-3 times a week and you will see the pounds disappear in short order.

I also have this fairly intricate Excel spreadsheet that helps me keep track of my weight, the food i eat, etc. Using it is the only way I can realiably control my calories, and the weight charts and stuff are just nice incentives. Find it here:
http://www.jonnythan.com/fitness/fitness sample.xls

P.S. Drink lots and lots of water.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I just got back from the gym. Personally, Running on the ground is different then a tread mill. If you can, run around your neighborhood. Go at night so its not that hot and bring some music.

You should also do some light weights if you're going to run, as well as stretching before any work out session.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The goal is to get most of your major muscle groups (biceps, triceps, chest, abs, glutes, quads, back) and just work them a bit to maintain your current muscle or even build a little.
Also, make sure you go in order from largest to smallest. If you do arms before chest and back, they won't be able to do the workout very well. You need your arms for the big exercises.

SheepStar

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

If you can, run around your neighborhood. Go at night so its not that hot and bring some music.
Its been 10 degrees below zero here for the last few days. I've made a new years resolution to not die of hypothermia. :D

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
As a club owner and personal trainer, I can say that none of the aforementioned suggestions is wrong. The biggest thing you can do at the start is to pick something that you will stick with.

If walking on the treadmill is hurting your feet, try a different cardio machine, such as an elliptical, or even bike.

I designed and installed a personal viewing system for my cardio machines and members have found themselves staying much longer just because they want to see the end of their favourite show. Let's face it, cardio can be boring, and anything that can distract you while on the machine is a bonus.

What you do want to do is try to get your heart rate up. As your fitness level improves, you will need to increase the intensity. Before long, you will find a jog is more effective than a walk on the treadmill. This is a good thing!

If you haven't, I may suggest consulting a personal trainer for a few sessions to get you started.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Its been 10 degrees below zero here for the last few days. I've made a new years resolution to not die of hypothermia. :D
So.........how's that new years resolution comming along:D

Im sick of the cold & snow:mad:

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Start off slow...

Another very important issue to consider is how you start. A lot of people dive in and over do it the first few weeks then burn out because they are too sore and too tired. Just push yourself until you start to feel the strain the first few times out. Don't max yourself out at first. You'll be too sore to move the next day and won't want to workout for a bit. This goes for both cardio and weights.

It's important to start off slow and somewhat ease into for the first few weeks. You'll feel better overall and you'll be more likely to stick with it. You'll find your body adapts quickly. Try not to go all out and train for an hour or two a day, each day when you start. You have to build up to it. Getting a trainer or asking for advice at the gym will get you a lot of good information. Just be aware that a lot of people who are at gyms really mean well but aren't always as informed as they believe themselves to be.

Jack

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Getting a trainer or asking for advice at the gym will get you a lot of good information. Just be aware that a lot of people who are at gyms really mean well but aren't always as informed as they believe themselves to be.

Jack
Ain't that the truth. I'd issue a blanket "don't take advice from anyone at the gym who isn't a professional trainer."

I run on the treadmill at the gym and listen to music while watching other people work out. I'm always amazed that virtually *no one* - even the big, muscled-up guys - does their workouts with anything approaching good form. I see more swinging elbows and awkwardly bent backs than I care to remember.

Some people will do whatever it takes to get the biggest possible dumbbell up to their shoulder when doing bicep curls. They'll put their entire body into it.. lean over and throw the entire torso back to swing the thing up.

Anyway, yeah, don't take advice from strangers at the gym. Talk to a trainer.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
If running/walking is your thing ( I hate elliptical machines and recumbent bikes for some reason???) go to a good running specialty shop. They 'should' let you try on shoes and run/walk around outside so you can get a feel for them.

Also, I've been to a shop that had a treadmill and I ran on it while the salesman looked my running form over. I pronate when I run and without telling the guy he told me I needed a shoe designed for pronators, which I already knew anyways. The salesman actually knew what he was talking about, I would think in specialty shops like that you should be able to find some help in a properly fit shoe.

Get a shoe that is designed for your application (running or walking).

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
I'm a huge runner, but I really honestly have never run a workout on a treadmill. I can't stand those things. Once you feel confident about your jogging/walking/running abilities, hit the streets!

For workouts I usually alternate easy-hard-easy-hard weekly so that I can recover from hard workouts. My weekly workout (obviously I am young and this is for track, but you can see how it works and apply it to your fitness) usually goes like this:

Monday: 8-12 400s, 70-75 second pace, 1 to 1 rest time. Warm up and cool down.

Tuesday: Easy run, 3-5 miles on trails, 4-8 "flying forties"

Wednesday: 3 sets of 400, 800s. 1x1 rest, strides and cool down

Thursday: Easy run followed by 1 hour of Yoga (it really is amazingly helpful)

Friday: Some type of FastWave or Fartlek type workout, strides, cool down

Saturday: Off, or biking

Sunday: 5-7 miles easy

This has turned me into race shape after only 4 weeks, so the easy-hard mentality works.

Also, diet is important, just get lots of good sugars and carbs, red meat, etc.

And I would definitely quit smoking, that would help a lot.

_WL_

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
And I would definitely quit smoking, that would help a lot.
I give my mini smoking cessation lecture to probably 5-6 people a day, but few people even TRY to quit. Maybe I need SCARE TACTICS!!!! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis