Damaged HDMI ARC Port on TV... Alternatives?

S

sm31

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, the HDMI ARC port (hope I'm using the correct term) on my Samsung TV has died... probably due to my ham fisted attempts to plug in & unplug HDMI cables between the wall & TV over the years (TV is 5 years old).

Currently I'm using the optical out, and I miss the lossless audio... So I would really like to re-establish the ARC connection somehow, if possible. Is there a Roku/Firestick/Apple TV type of alternative that works? Or is this a great excuse to buy a new (larger) TV? Thanks!!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, the HDMI ARC port (hope I'm using the correct term) on my Samsung TV has died... probably due to my ham fisted attempts to plug in & unplug HDMI cables between the wall & TV over the years (TV is 5 years old).

Currently I'm using the optical out, and I miss the lossless audio... So I would really like to re-establish the ARC connection somehow, if possible. Is there a Roku/Firestick/Apple TV type of alternative that works? Or is this a great excuse to buy a new (larger) TV? Thanks!!
If you are using an AVR, just plug your devices into it.....I don't even use the EARC on my set that way.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Hi everyone,

When in doubt buy a bigger and better new TV. ( just kidding)(sort of)

With regards to other options it’s hard to say without knowing more about your audio system. I have a Samsung TV and a Denon AVR. I input everything into the HDMI ports on the AVR (including Roku) so the audio goes directly to the speakers and the video goes to the TV via HDMI. I consider this to be a “cave man” solution to ARC problems but it works. I’m stuck with the Roku interface of course but it works.

If you do go with Roku, make sure the one you buy supports the audio and video formats you want. Roku tends to be a little slow adapting newer formats. Also, take the time to go through the settings when you set it up. The Rokus I’ve had default to low definition output. If nothing else, turn off the stupid power saver feature. The factory default is to turn off without warning or explanation after a period of time

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi everyone,

If it's just ARC it's not lossless, generally optical will provide the same capabilities (with possible exception of Atmos metadata). Might look into hdmi port savers, too. Personally I just don't use a tv to source video, just use it as a display.....an external streamer into the avr is my preference (Fire Sticks in my case)

S

sm31

Audioholic Intern
If it's just ARC it's not lossless,
Oh! Thank you for the clarification! My bad... I believe it is eARC in my case as well. But it's great to know there are alternatives! And now (Mr_Clark) I'm faced with whether to admit there are actual alternatives or just inform my spouse that we need another TV! :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh! Thank you for the clarification! My bad... I believe it is eARC in my case as well. But it's great to know there are alternatives! And now (Mr_Clark) I'm faced with whether to admit there are actual alternatives or just inform my spouse that we need another TV! :D
eARC can be lossless, but if you're streaming not likely.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis