Damaged denon dvd 2800

Y

yev

Enthusiast
I just picked up a damaged denon dvd 2800 for 100, it doesn't read dvd's. How much do you guys think it will cost to fix it and is it worth fixing it?

Thanks.

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Sounds like a trip to the service center is in order. It is probably a transport, which if it's a universal type is pretty cheap.

But I could be wrong. It's really hard to diagnose problems via a bulletin board.

Y

yev

Enthusiast
Thanks, just wanted to get some idea if it was worth trying to repair :)

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Does the unit go ON? If it does, try to play an Audio CD. Does it play? If it doesn't, see if the motor runs. If it does, try to clean the pick up. That is all you can do without relying to a service company.

Mr.T

Y

yev

Enthusiast
Received the DVD player, turned it on, unit turns on fine.

Placed DVD into the tray
DVD went in, loaded and played.
Left DVD playing, came back home, it was hung, just a picture on the screen, couldn't stop it, remote control unresponsive
Turned the unit off, then back on
Display showed DVD Loading, but was hanging
Turned the unit off, then back to on, ejected DVD
Inserted new DVD, started playing
left the house again, came back, DVD is hung again
Remote unresponsive.

I think I need to take it to the repair shop, unless someone could suggest something :)

Thanks

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
As you describe the problem to us, the cleaning is not going to solve your problem, because when the unit hangs up you have a still picture on your TV screen, so I tend to beleive that the motor stops running.

Judging from your descriptions your DVD player has a thermal problem which it stops the motor from running giving you a still picture on the TV screen.
Shutting the DVD off allows the faulty component to cool off and start working again when you turn the DVD player back on.

The problem could very well be a MOSFET in the power supply circuit breaking down after heats up, causing the lack of 18vdc to the motor. Obviously to repair this kind of problem you have to take to a repair shop.

Mr.T

Y

yev

Enthusiast
Uhhhh, Is that something that is going to be expensive to fix? Sound like a part needs to be replaced.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
If it's true that the MOSFET is your problem or even a cold solder joint in the printed circuit board, it will cost you. Parts like Chips, Mosfets or voltage regulators are not expensive at all, usally less than $ 20, but the labor charges is the problem here.
Some reputable repair shops have minimum charges for an estimate as much as $79.95.

So this means, that you have already spent $100 to buy this thing and if you're lucky it will cost you another $100 to fix it, you'll be the judge.

Mr.T

Y

yev

Enthusiast
Mr. T, thanks for all your help. To confirm if this is a heat issue, I took off the top cover and left a DVD playing all day long, the player kept on going without a hitch. My next thought before taking it to service, perhaps to purchase some sort of a heat sink/fan to dissipate the heat under the cover. Don't know if that will solve the issue or not, but something I am considering.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis