C

cutlas

Enthusiast
Here's my little system.

I started off my stereo while I was in High School mainly trying to emulate my dad's rigs. Started off with an old technics amp with the polk audio rt35 bookshelf speakers. This was a great little system, I've really enjoyed the polks and they are still acting in my system today. A few years later, picked up a polk audio cs175 center and a couple of polk r1 rears. Then completed the 5.1 by picking up a yamaha sw3 sub and had a nice small system. About 5 years later I decided to pick up a new amp (yamaha htr-5550). I wish I did more research on this one - I should have bought the 5560 (pre-amp outs) because now I'm either looking at a pre/pro combo or a new integrated amp.

I then picked up the jbl e90 fronts (moving the r35's to the rear). My latest addition is upgrading the polk audio center to a B&W LCR600S3 center channel and boy what a difference.

A few things I've learned along the way - pick up an SPL meter - it can make the world of difference in balancing your speakers. Also, using your receivers cross-over will help give you an extremely balanced sound (with the SPL meter) when trying to match different speakers.

As you can see, I've been slowly adding, upgrading and most of all enjoying each and every one of my upgrades. My next upgrade will be a new receiver / TV. As you can see from the pictures, I don't have a lot of space to play with in my current pad.

Grills on:

Grills off:

Rear / Sub:

Center:

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Nice job,it looks like your on your way:)

If a may offer some advice on your set up.

MOVE THE PLANTS OFF THE SPEAKERS PLEASE:eek:

No matter how carefull you are the plants are a horrible accident waiting to happen,water from the plants can destroy the finish & warp the wood.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
highfihoney said:
Nice job,it looks like your on your way:)

If a may offer some advice on your set up.

MOVE THE PLANTS OFF THE SPEAKERS PLEASE:eek:

No matter how carefull you are the plants are a horrible accident waiting to happen,water from the plants can destroy the finish & warp the wood.
Totally agree with ya, move the plants (unless they will kill WAF and she kills you)

Matt34

Matt34

Seth=L said:
Totally agree with ya, move the plants (unless they will kill WAF and she kills you)
Probably a compromise made with household six.;)

C

cutlas

Enthusiast
I've tried

Like Matt mentioned, it's a compromise. I'm a little concerned about water damage, but none so far.

I'll see if she would mind putting the plants in another room - but it most likely won't happen.

I've tried moving the sub to the front of my system and sounds much better, but my g/f doesn't like the "look" of it.

:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
cutlas said:
Like Matt mentioned, it's a compromise. I'm a little concerned about water damage, but none so far.

I'll see if she would mind putting the plants in another room - but it most likely won't happen.

I've tried moving the sub to the front of my system and sounds much better, but my g/f doesn't like the "look" of it.

That would drive me insane.

"It sounds and looks better to me here"

"Yea, but I don't like it, move it or I won't........tonight."

D

DDigitalguy06

Audioholic
to please a women,you must let her put her junk on your speakers. or she will tell you get smaller speakers.:eek: but yea,remove the plants.! :) great system.

C

cutlas

Enthusiast
Update...

Well one of the plants is off the speaker..... (off to a good start). Still working on the others.... hehe.

Seth=L: it's tough, but until I get my own play room I have to bite my lip.... :)

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
At least put a towel or something under the plants. If it's a girlfriend right now it only gets worst when they become the wife. You need to sort that stuff out before the vows ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, no plants allowed anywhere near my speakers. Now sell those JBLs and get 2 more LCR600s!!!! Don't try to match different speakers.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
cutlas said:
Well one of the plants is off the speaker..... (off to a good start). Still working on the others.... hehe.

Seth=L: it's tough, but until I get my own play room I have to bite my lip.... :)
Us married slobs fully understand:rolleyes: but dig this,if you gotta keep them on the speakers a towel is useless,you'll need something to catch the water before it hits the speaker,we have a sun room in our home where my wife grows plants,mostly ferns & such but we have a small system in there that she plays music for the plants with,she has planters on her speakers & keeps dinner plates under them to catch any excess water.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Seth=L said:
I concur, things like water plants that are placed overhead or on top of electrical items.:eek:

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Who's to say the plants don't help?

I, myself, first tried various cactii, but found the upper frequencies somewhat prickly, before settling on the more elastic sound of the rubber plant. :p

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Nestor said:
Who's to say the plants don't help?

I, myself, first tried various cactii, but found the upper frequencies somewhat prickly, before settling on the more elastic sound of the rubber plant. :p
Nice, very nice.:D

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
cutlas said:

Nah, either get rid of the girlfriend and the plants... or get rid of the speakers. Simple.

I don't care how much the g/f or wife says how much she wants her stupid plants on expensive speakers, there's still an opportunity for them to be ruined... especially with how DUMB women are with electronics.

I chewed out my roommate's friend for placing a WET condensating cold glass of beer on one of my Energy rear channel speakers. I don't think he likes me anymore, but I can care less!

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
JaceTheAce said:
Nah, either get rid of the girlfriend and the plants... or get rid of the speakers. Simple.

I don't care how much the g/f or wife says how much she wants her stupid plants on expensive speakers, there's still an opportunity for them to be ruined... especially with how DUMB women are with electronics.

I chewed out my roommate's friend for placing a WET condensating cold glass of beer on one of my Energy rear channel speakers. I don't think he likes me anymore, but I can care less!
Nothing sexist about that post.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis