Custom Built TV Console Ideas?

A

Argroft

Junior Audioholic
I've decided to build myself a TV console to match some other items in my home theater setup, but I figured I'd ask here about some ideas I wanted to include to see what experiences anyone may have had with them. So to start, here is a rendering of what I'm thinking of building:

Here is the other furniture I'm trying to match:

This is my subwoofer end table and one of my front speakers.

This is my center channel, which I plan to keep mounted over the TV (for now).

And this is one of my rear surrounds.

I'm trying to keep the design for everything the same, but I am open to changes on the console. As for ideas I wanted to include, here's the list:
-Since there is no visible hardware, doors or drawers on my sub end table, I wanted to match that look. To achieve this, I decided to build solid doors on the console with hidden hardware. Each of the three segments will be mounted on hinges so they will function as doors with a push-to-open latch so I don't need to add handles.
-This leads me to idea number 2: IR Repeater setup. Since the doors will be solid and will be housing my Blu-ray player and AVR, I'll need a way to control them. The solution was an IR repeater with the receiver mounted under the TV. Anyone had any experience with IR repeaters?
-Another idea I wanted to include was integrated power outlets. If there's one thing I've never liked about other cabinets and furniture for electronics, it's trying to fish wires through the back or up shelves to get things plugged in. The solution is to mount outlets on several shelves so I have easy access to power.
-Following this idea, I wanted to add in easy to access speaker hookups, meaning that I would have a wall plate with hookups for each speaker mounted inside the cabinet. This means I would only need to connect short jumpers from my avr to a clearly labeled plate. On the back side of the cabinet would be the output to the speakers. One set of posts on the left for the left front, left surround and a sub, another on the right for the right front, right surround and a second sub then a single set of posts toward the top for the center channel.
-To save on costs and hassle I opted not mount HDMI hookups on each shelf (which would be nice), but I will make easy pass-throughs for any a/v wires between shelves.

Ultimately, I'm looking for feedback on my ideas and/or ideas for improvements. Also, for those of you with under-TV consoles, what features do you like or dislike about them? Is there anything you wish your TV console had? Thanks in advanced for your feedback!

A

Argroft

Junior Audioholic
I've always wanted a motorized screen lift, but it's not very practical in my case. With the center channel being 13" deep, I'd like to keep the TV even with front of the speaker. That, and with the speakers I have, the room everything is in will be a dedicated room, so there isn't much need for it. I'll have to keep the idea in mind though in case I make a piece of furniture for another room with a smaller TV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis