Custom 12v Linear Power Supply

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
Hey Folks!

Been away for a long time but thought I'd poke my head back around these parts to throw out something I'm working on and seeing if there's any interest.

I'm currently working on a 12v Linear 2000ma Power Supply for my recently acquired MUSE DIR9001+TDA1543x4 DAC to replace the cheap Chinese SMPS wall wart it came with.

Right now I have a breadboard version running with a clean 12v (well, 11.96v :p) signal. My goal for the project is to keep the design simple and modular so I can re-use it to power additional devices (5v, 16v, etc.). When everything is said and done the price should be around $150-$125 per unit depending on how good a deal I can get on the enclosure.

If there's interest from folks here I'll do a run of 10-20 of them after I get any design issues works out of a couple prototypes.

Couple design notes:
- Decided to go with a EI Transformer (Hammond) to isolate the circuit from DC noise on the AC line. Toroidal transformers just have issue with it and my goal here isn't to deliver a huge power curve, just a clean one
- The enclosure will have the transformer enclosed in a separate compartment surrounded by EMI shielding material to reduce EMI interference to low power signal cables nearby
- Sticking with reputable component manufacturers like Hammond, STMicroelectronics, Nichicon, etc.

Cheers! :D

12vLinear.jpg

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
Greetings Lurkers!

Not sure if anyone's interested in this but I'll post progress anyways ;)

So over the weekend I was able to solder together the first functional prototype on a small prototboard. Everything worked well and as expected! The MUSE DAC has a heft draw of 1800-2000ma @ 12v and really pushes the voltage regulator to the limits. My readings from the heatsink were in the 105-110c range, which is hot but well within the operational limit of ~150c for the specific voltage regulator. Measuring the voltage after 30 minutes of use came in at around 11.82v which is expected loss due to heat on the regulator.

I have ordered more stout regulators as well as more substantial heatsinks as well which should help with efficiency. I'm revising the design and should have another protoboard prototype done by this coming weekend. Once I can verify it powers the MUSE DAC without issue for an extended period on the new design I'll get some PCB's designed and do a small run of PCB's.

Ideally I'll just offer the boards up as part of a kit which can easily be adapted to handle different loads (by swapping out the regulator).

Cheers!:D

Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 2.11.39 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2013-12-10 at 2.11.14 PM.jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Greetings Lurkers!

Not sure if anyone's interested in this but I'll post progress anyways ;)

So over the weekend I was able to solder together the first functional prototype on a small prototboard. Everything worked well and as expected! The MUSE DAC has a heft draw of 1800-2000ma @ 12v and really pushes the voltage regulator to the limits. My readings from the heatsink were in the 105-110c range, which is hot but well within the operational limit of ~150c for the specific voltage regulator. Measuring the voltage after 30 minutes of use came in at around 11.82v which is expected loss due to heat on the regulator.

I have ordered more stout regulators as well as more substantial heatsinks as well which should help with efficiency. I'm revising the design and should have another protoboard prototype done by this coming weekend. Once I can verify it powers the MUSE DAC without issue for an extended period on the new design I'll get some PCB's designed and do a small run of PCB's.

Ideally I'll just offer the boards up as part of a kit which can easily be adapted to handle different loads (by swapping out the regulator).

Cheers!:D

View attachment 12811View attachment 12812
Dunno how much interest there is on this site for purchasers.

But it looks like a good DIY project anyway. Good work!

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
Dunno how much interest there is on this site for purchasers.

But it looks like a good DIY project anyway. Good work!
Didn't figure there'd be that much action here, but I came to this point after scouring the internet trying to find a suitable power supply for my DAC and was reading about people either paying $300+ for boutique linear power supplies or even powering the DAC off a car/marine batteries to get a stable 12v load. :p

So I guess I'll just keep updating this thread in the event that someone else on the internets was looking for the same thing I was ;)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Didn't figure there'd be that much action here, but I came to this point after scouring the internet trying to find a suitable power supply for my DAC and was reading about people either paying $300+ for boutique linear power supplies or even powering the DAC off a car/marine batteries to get a stable 12v load. :p

So I guess I'll just keep updating this thread in the event that someone else on the internets was looking for the same thing I was ;)
give ' Computer Audiophile' a try those people talk about changing Dac power supplies

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis