Current Future Proof Tech Needed In An HDTV

J

Jamester23

Enthusiast
Ok. I'm starting to noodle on a replacement for my '18 65" XBR 900. Looking at a 75 or 80. I'll probably stay Sony but the question is, as I do my research, what tech does the TV have to have to be future proof for a 5 year period? Obviously, I want it HDR+ but how many nits are needed? Quantum dots, OLED, what screen tech is the best? I figure this could be a commonly updated thread to make sure we all know the news tech we need to make a $2K-$5K purchase which to most of us is substantial.

Thanks for your help in advance. I'd like to keep my purchase under $3500. Primary source is a new Apple TV using HBO Max, Youtube, Netflix, Prime. Noticing more and more that the XBR900 is getting dimmer and dimmer.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It's difficult to recommend anything but OLED after moving to it from LED TVs. You might consider the Sony A80K if you want to stay with Sony. The 77" A80K would be within the stated budget.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You should NOT be able to tell your TV is dimming whatsoever. That just indicates something may be wrong with the power supply of the TV itself, or that your eyes are getting older... yes, that happens.

Many of us, I expect, have televisions well over ten years old that still look fantastic. But, the main thing with televisions is starting with a decent display technology from the start, then maximizing what it offers and understanding that all televisions seem to have some sort of tradeoff. OLED is dimmer than LCD, but it has, by far, the best overall contrast and image quality with Sony typically winning for best overall quality with their A95K. But, the LG C2/G2 panels really are solid performers as are Samsung OLEDs.

When it comes to LCD and bright room viewing, typically it is Samsung which wins for best overall with the QN95C.

I wouldn't touch LG for anything but OLED, and I wouldn't likely step away from Samsung, Sony, or LG for a higher end television purchase at this time.

Room conditions and screen size also come into play in getting the best overall television experience. Quite often, people go with sizes that are far smaller than what they really should be using from a typical viewing distance. I would say anyone 10 feet or more from their screen should be in a 80" or larger television class, which can sometimes strain budget. Especially with OLED displays.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Ok. I'm starting to noodle on a replacement for my '18 65" XBR 900. Looking at a 75 or 80. I'll probably stay Sony but the question is, as I do my research, what tech does the TV have to have to be future proof for a 5 year period? Obviously, I want it HDR+ but how many nits are needed? Quantum dots, OLED, what screen tech is the best? I figure this could be a commonly updated thread to make sure we all know the news tech we need to make a $2K-$5K purchase which to most of us is substantial.

Thanks for your help in advance. I'd like to keep my purchase under $3500. Primary source is a new Apple TV using HBO Max, Youtube, Netflix, Prime. Noticing more and more that the XBR900 is getting dimmer and dimmer.
Consider whether source components will be connected to an AVR or to the TV. If the TV is the connection point some TVs have only 1 or 2 HDMI 2.1 ports while others will have 4. Most reviews I've seen recently lean towards either OLED or QD-OLED. LG's latest may be referred to as W-OLED as they have an extra white LED per pixel. OLEDs will give you the nice deep blacks. mini-LED does not mean OLED. Sony's X95K for example is advertised as a mini-LED set but is LCD technology. LCD is good for very bright rooms but for the average room OLED has caught up and is bright enough for most with a few exceptions. LCD tends to be worse off angle though while OLED and QD-OLED will have good images off angle. Two of the top sets this year look to be the LG G3 and the Samsung S95C but they will get pricey in the 77" format. Treb already mentioned the A80K if you like Sony. I saw the Sony OLED and LG C2 at Costoc recently and both have fabulous pictures.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know why your set is getting dimmer and that you can actually determine the difference over time. How do you did you determine that particularly?

Unless new picture technologies emerge, can't see what is lacking with most current offerings. Hard to imagine what may come out that isn't already known.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
My advice is whatever you buy, at least play a few bluray/4K discs or files to see what the set is really capable of.

Watching nothing but streaming on these newer badass sets is like buying the best audio system and listening to 128kbps mp3's.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The IMAX Enhanced Marvel movies on Disney+ are very impressive in their presentation for streaming titles and the IMAX Enhanced expanded aspect ratio versions of those titles are not available on 4K/UHD disc at all.:confused: While 4k/UHD discs look amazing, Games in 4K @120Hz put them to shame. It's something to behold. So, when grabbing a new Sony OLED, go ahead and grab a PS5 as well.;)

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic

Invest in a holodeck

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
The IMAX Enhanced Marvel movies on Disney+ are very impressive in their presentation for streaming titles and the IMAX Enhanced expanded aspect ratio versions of those titles are not available on 4K/UHD disc at all.:confused: While 4k/UHD discs look amazing, Games in 4K @120Hz put them to shame. It's something to behold. So, when grabbing a new Sony OLED, go ahead and grab a PS5 as well.;)
I have the Marvel Imax/Disney+ films on file....while it is nice to have the Imax ratio, they are about one third of the disc versions bitrate...and it shows.
Disney wanting projected income is the reason you probably will never see a full blown version of them.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, it’s a shame. I stopped buying the Marvel discs awhile ago. The IMAX versions can hardly be called bad and I prefer to use as much real estate on my big OLED TV as I can and big fat letterbox bars just don’t cut it anymore.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, it’s a shame. I stopped buying the Marvel discs awhile ago. The IMAX versions can hardly be called bad and I prefer to use as much real estate on my big OLED TV as I can and big fat letterbox bars just don’t cut it anymore.
Have to agree. I was streaming a Netflix show last week that was made for TV and it was letterboxed. I couldn't help but wonder why on earth anyone would make a letterboxed TV series when 16:9 is the standard? You loose so much screen real estate.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis