Crowson Technologies TES-100 couch shaker

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
just heard they are coming out with a new amp and some new gadgets.

these do the same job as buttkickers, but imo they are much higher quality.
AH gave buttkicker the 2005 product of the year so i just wanted to let people know about these too.

Much more expensive though, and not really produced for mass market like buttkickers. crowsons new preamp, allows for directional lfe, with adjustable cross overs. Suppsedly you can feel stuff move from side to side.. like a helicopter flying by etc. But i havent tried this one out yet. Their new amp is 150x4, so that you can run all 4 channels.. or 4 actuators at once. i have two set up now, with about 200 watts to each which is more than enough power.

their older amp was ok but was only 85 watts a channel.

Buttkicker is good for the mass market, but since this is an audioholic forum i just wanted to give my few cents. The quality difference of buttkicker and crowson is pretty big in my opinion.

buttkicker is cool.. especially if its new to you. But when you compare it to crowson its like comparing radio to cd. vibration on the bittkicker comes from spinning an unbalanced object, like a cell phone, or ps2 controller. The motion is not as realistic The crowson TES uses a linear actuator, so its completely accurate, and i swear sometimes it feels like its moving back and forth even though it only goes up and down. (it sits under the couch legs) It has a range of many motions, and will move up and down exactly how the frequency wavelengths tell it to.

i emailed them askin if they were goin to make any wireless kit like the feature buttkicker has. They told me it was slowly in the works, but they wanted to make a wireless kit that was better than buttkicker's. I guess the buttkicker is just rf, so the quality of sound is pretty bad. He said most people probobly wouldnt notice the quality difference, but they dont want to stain their product line by making something cheap.

i think the entire kit is around.. $1600.

i just bought 2 actuators, and used my own amp, and im extremely pleased with them.. had it about a year or so.

Last edited:
K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
oh youre right.. its still a pretty unrealistic vibration though. i dont remember where i got that from, but i wasnt that impressed when i demoed it. it almost felt like either it was just on or off.

maybe i demoed an older version? not sure if the newer ones are supposed to be better, but the old was was pretty dissapointing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis