Crown XLS-1502 -vs- Behringer NX-3000

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
EAFCF057-A491-4B0B-BDBC-EC4FDCE34F57.jpeg

After MUCH search and debate, it seems the Crown XLS-1502 is not the dollar/watt king after all.

To buy Crown or to buy Behringer? THAT is the question!

What do you think, guys? Has anyone put those two against each other with their main speakers?

- Crown XLS 1502 ($389.00)
SPECS:
* Power output:
* 300 watts x 2 at 8 ohms
* 525 watts x 2 at 4 ohms
* 775 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
* 1050 watts x 1 at 8 ohms in bridged mode
* 1550 watts x 1 at 4 ohms in bridged mode
* frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (-1 dB)
* signal-to-noise ratio: 103 dB
* total harmonic distortion: 0.5% (20-20,000 Hz)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_859XLS1502/Crown-XLS-1502.html

- Behringer NX3000 ($299.00)
SPECS:
* Power output:
* 440 watts x 2 at 8 ohms
* 900 watts x 2 at 4 ohms
* 1500 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
* 3000 watts x 1 at 4 ohms in bridge mode
* frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (-1 dB)
* signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB
* total harmonic distortion: 0.05%
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_937NX3000/Behringer-NX3000.html

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The Behringer is a great value for watts/$..
Its weaknesses are BS specs and long term reliability...
Thats why in Clubs & DJ systems the pros steer away from Behringer, for consumer applications U should be fine. Last year we did a pro system update for a club down by Staples Center that originally used Behringer amplifiers but in the the pro category 1 cannot afford amplifiers to just crap out in the middle of a performance so they stay with established quality brands. I replaced the Behringer amplifiers with QSC products, but note we also like Crown products as well. Just happens we know 1 of the sr engineers @ QSC and get sharp pricing on their products...

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When it comes to pro amps, I would stick to Crown, Yamaha, or QSC.

The Behringer amp aesthetic looks better to me, but I don't trust their reliability.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
When it comes to pro amps, I would stick to Crown, Yamaha, or QSC.

The Behringer amp aesthetic looks better to me, but I don't trust their reliability.
I believe class D amps have come a long way and that is why I’m asking. Many people are buying the Crown amps and are very satisfied with them. This is my attempt to step into the separates realm for the first time and I’m trying to spend my limited funds wisely. Connectivity, power, fan noise, and long term reliability are vital and it seems Crown has the advantage against Behringer on almost all of them.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
I don't think "Separates" and "limited funds" go well together. :D
They do depending on what you buy and they usually do on the long run when you only have to upgrade one component like the preamp to keep up with the newer formats and not the whole thing. The latest good receivers like Denon and Marantz run somewhere between $1K - $1.5K (more or less). Right?

With that amount (or maybe a little bit more), I can buy 3 Crowns XLS-1502 amps @$350/each and a pretty nice used (1-2 years) receiver with preamp outputs for like $500-$700. That equals almost as much as the newest receivers out there. It really depends on what you buy. Good part is you can always take it easy and upgrade one component at a time. And if any should die on you for whatever reason, you can replace it instead of having to replace the whole thing. So, to me, it is worth it.

I’m also looking at 3 main speakers and that limits the budget. I’ve had the same speakers for over 18 years so, whatever I buy, it is going to be a very looong time before I’m in a position to upgrade again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, separates would be a pre-pro and separate amp but an avr with pre-outs is pretty close :) What speakers do you have? What are you looking at? I take it you don't really need the latest 4k/atmos type features? Or?

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Well, separates would be a pre-pro and separate amp but an avr with pre-outs is pretty close :) What speakers do you have? What are you looking at? I take it you don't really need the latest 4k/atmos type features? Or?
I’m not into 4K yet as my Optoma PJ is 1080p - which I’m still satisfied with. Upgrading to 4K is not on my radar and I don’t believe it will for quite some time. Maybe in 2-3 years when it becomes more acce$ible. Yes, I’d like to get something with Atmos.

As for the speakers, I would love to het something from RBH, but shipping costs to my location is almost impossible (Puerto Rico). So that leaves me with Crutchfield - which is the only option with free shipping. Maybe Elac Uni-Fi’s (my first choice so far), maybe PSB, or maybe even Monitor Audio. I’m not quite sure yet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The salient question is, will these $1600-$1700 low-cost “separates” sound any better than a Yamaha RX-A2070 that you can get on sale on Amazon for $1000?

Or better sounding than a new Denon X4400 for $900 on Amazon?

Or even a Denon X3400 or Yamaha RX-A1070 on sale?

Can these low-cost “separates” really be compared to higher-priced separates like the Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200 or similar?

Of course, everyone has a different perspective.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
The salient question is, will these $1600-$1700 low-cost “separates” sound any better than a Yamaha RX-A2070 that you can get on sale on Amazon for $1000?

Or better sounding than a new Denon X4400 for $900 on Amazon?

Or even a Denon X3400 or Yamaha RX-A1070 on sale?

Can these low-cost “separates” really be compared to higher-priced separates like the Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200 or similar?

Of course, everyone has a different perspective.
That is right, my friend!

In my particular case, my system is very old and those amps paired to a receiver with preamp-outs or a dedicated processor will definitely be a huge upgrade. Aside from that, to me, it is not just a matter of sounding better but to finally have a rack filled with separate components which will add convenience and versatility in the future.

But to answer your question: Will it sound better than the models you mentioned? Maybe it will. Maybe it will not. Or maybe my ears will not be able to tell if there is any difference. Who knows? This hobby (as all hobbies) involves trials and errors in the process, and that is part of the fun (sometimes frustration) it brings. Of course, there is always something better out there but most of us can’t buy them all at the same time.

After all is set and done, what really matters is that you enjoy what you have and be happy/satisfied.

This is the video that got me interested in the Crown:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thanks I hadn't see that set of measurements. I'd be will to submit my QSC dac1622 to Gene for measurements if he had time or he can ship me the AP lol.
Just saw them this morning myself. Not surprising, great value amp.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just saw them this morning myself. Not surprising, great value amp.
@Verdinut had turned me onto them and QSC has always been
Resizer_15441012685270.jpg
good with specs. Bought it to power the Song 3 encores. Great amp if you run full range as there are good filters if needed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis