Subwoofer: Axiom EP125: $380

Amplifiers: 2x Outlaw Audio M-Block: $598

Preamp: Parasound P/HP-850: $249

Interconnects: 2x Cobalt Cable Ultimate 1m: $129

Speaker Cables: Cobalt Cable Ultimate 2m: $104.95

Cobalt Cable Ultimate 4m: $134.95

Power Protection: Monster HTS 2000 MKII: $229.95

Rack: Outlaw Audio OASEA-4 Black/Silver Tubes: $239.99

The preamp though, does not have a dedicated subwoofer out. I'd like to get an active crossover so I can run two sets of interconnects instead of two sets of speaker cable. I think this would be the best option as opposed to using the high-level inputs on the sub. Thus, I was just trying to see if anyone knows of some decent active crossovers or if I'd be better using the above configuration. As of right now, there is not a digital source but there is cabling alotted for it.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

You've already got Outlaw Audio amps, why not try their crossover? It's 6 channel where you only need two, but it'll work fine and is a lot cheaper than anything else you can get. Plus, you then have flexibility for the future.

Otherwise you can find an x-over by Behringer or Rane if you're willing to use a Pro model. For home stuff you're pretty much left with Marchand or AudioControl. And a couple I'm forgetting, I imagine. Bummer, until very recently I had an AudioControl PCAIII that would've been perfect for your application. It sat unused for a few years, and I just sold it about 2 months ago.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
If I recall right, I came across a DBX pro-stuff gear called a Subharmonic Synthesizer that accepts your 2-channel stereo RCA input from a preamp, extracts the low frequencies and adds subharmonic content based on the LF information (as the name of the gear implies) and routes them to a separate subwoofer with selectible 80 and 120 hz crossovers. Then it feeds the L and R to separate stereo power amps. So it sits between a preamp and the main. I've read some nice feedback on this as imparting really deep and involving bass. You may want to google search the dbx brand and the subharmonic synthesizer function to learn more. I am not sure if it has both RCA and balanced terminals. As most professional gears are, you may have to make special cables terminating on RCA on one end and balanced XLR on the other.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Most pre-amps do not have a subwoofer out connector. The subwoofer amps that I am aware of all have a pass through for the high fq's. I am not sure on this but most of the pass throughs appear to be just that. I know that some have a high pass filtered output for the mains but that may not be suitable. Paradigm makes a very reasonable xover, with high and low pass outputs. The model number is X-30. It is only about $100US. :cool:

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jaxvon said:
Thus, I was just trying to see if anyone knows of some decent active crossovers or if I'd be better using the above configuration. As of right now, there is not a digital source but there is cabling alotted for it.
An another suggested, a Behringer would be excellent. It is low cost and has lots of flexibility for future potential applications. The CX3400 is about $130.00. If you wanted an even more powerful device, a DCX2496 would fit the bill. A digital unit that would even make it possible to design your own speakers, using this as the crossover(full customiziable slopes for each channel, 3 way stereo, notch filters, eqs, shevling filters, etc.). Of course, you can use it as a simple 2 way crossover for your application if that's all you needed at the moment....

-Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis