PHYSTRAINER

PHYSTRAINER

Audioholic Intern
Hey all, I have a pioneer vsx1015 in 5.1 configuration which i am having a few problems finding the best cross over settings for. I have wharfedale 9.6 floorstanders as fronts and slightly smaller 9.5 floorstanding models at the back. I have tried settings at large fronts small fronts etc and crossed over on amp at
80hz and 50hz. I have found that large all round and 80hz sounds ok, but wanted to see if i can get more out of my speakers.
(I leave the sub wide open at 85hz obviously)
I have read all of the articles on bass management and have a question about something, If i set all speakers to small and crossover to 50hz am i using the speakers effectively? As it seems that with small settings the sub is handling all below 50hz so are my fronts taking care of everthing above that or am i leaving a huge gap?
Sorry if this is gibbberish but i can't explain very well.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
When you set your speakers to large, they are sent a full range signal. The crossover point only affects speakers set to small. Try setting everything to small and crossing over at 50Hz or 80Hz.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your sub's x-over should be set to its highest point, allowing the x-over in the receiver to handle the task. jax is 100% correct, if your speakers are set to large, your x-over isn't in effect. A x-over isn't an all or nothing deal, it is simply the point at which the blend starts - sound is slowly reduced in the mains or sub respectively as you move away from that point, so each will still have some sound above/below the x-over point. Even with floorstanding speakers, most still cannot handle bass nearly as well as the sub, so you will likely want them crossed over. I'd start with 50Hz and see how it goes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis