Critique my budget HT list

D

Digital_G0D

Enthusiast
Hi everyone, first time on the forums here, received a warm welcome so far!

I'm trying to piece together a home theater system, but I don't have a whole lot of knowledge in the area despite quite a bit of online research. I would appreciate any and all input on my current list of gear for my beginner/budget surround system, as I'm unbelievably indecisive when it comes to buying things.

Receiver: I'm pretty set on the Onkyo HT-RC360 7.2 Receiver, unless someone can convince me otherwise. It is affordable, has network capability and I can eventually upgrade to 7.1 or 7.2, which is a huge plus for me.

Sub: Again, pretty set on this one. I've heard great things about the Dayton Sub-120, and haven't seen anything more tempting in the price range.

Speakers: Here's where I have trouble deciding. By the time I get to this part I have about $200 left in the budget for 5 speakers.

Originally, I had looked at the Polk RM95 speaker set for a little over $200. But, my wife would really like to have floorstanding front speakers so we aren't running cabling up the side of the wall in our apt. Ok.

So, now I'm looking at Sony as a second option for speakers (typically one of the last brands I would think of for quality speakers, but I have no experience here.) So far the SSF-5000 floorstanding speakers, SS-CN5000 Center channel, and SS-B1000 Bookshelf speakers for rear surround. Right now it comes out to pretty much the same price as the Polks.

Which should I go with? I can always buy or make my own speaker stands, so floorstanding fronts isn't really a must here. Feel free to recommend neither choice, but I would like to stay within the range of ~ $300 for receiver and $200 for speakers. Any advice is most welcomed :)

EDIT: The polk speakers have gone up from $205 to $275 :(
Anything wrong with these Sonys for a decent home theater?

Last edited:
D

Digital_G0D

Enthusiast
I can't seem to edit my original post again, oh well. I found the Polk speakers for under 200 on another site so I think I may just do that. I realize that speakers in this price range are nothing to really talk about, so I may just do this for a year or so, and in the meantime save up for some worthy floorstanding speakers to build this into a 7.1 system.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I realize that speakers in this price range are nothing to really talk about...
The reviews of those speakers are excellent. Something doesn't have to cost a lot to make you happy. :) Plus, great or not, they're a fair bit better than trying to make all the sound effects yourself...although maybe less fun. :D

My suggestion is to buy them from someplace that will let you return them (hopefully without a restocking fee or large shipping costs). That way, if you don't like them, then you're not out much or any money.

D

Digital_G0D

Enthusiast
Thank you, Adam. You are truly helpful, in contrast to the rather cold response I received when asking a similar question at AVS forum. I just might stick around here :)

Although indecisive, I am very patient and don't mind saving up for something nice vs. instant gratification. I decided to get the receiver now with a pair of Polk Monitor60's that Newegg has on sale. Later I will add in something comparable for center, surrounds and a sub.

Thanks again - if you ever need help building a PC or something hop on over to Overclock.net and I can help you out.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks again - if you ever need help building a PC or something hop on over to Overclock.net and I can help you out.
Hey, glad that you decided to join us.

Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely cruise over there if I decide to build another one - but I think that I'm in the just-buy-it crowd anymore. I gave it a shot about six years ago, and it worked out okay, but it seems like I can buy one that's just as good for the same or less money...and it's less hassle. I'm not a hard-core gamer, so I don't need bleeding edge performance and can normally buy something plenty fast for me in the ~$600 range.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think you would be much better buying two decent speakers rather than 5 so-so speakers. For 200, I would look into a pair of Infinity Primus p162. Here are some other decent speakers that are on a great Black Friday sale: Energy EF-500 towers.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Another vote for a nice pair of speakers here.

I'd look into the Audioengines. If you upgrade in the future, you can use them as rears.

I always tell new budget buyers to buy their initial pair of speakers as speakers that they later can use as rear once they have the budget for the mains they really want.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I think you would be much better buying two decent speakers rather than 5 so-so speakers.
I have to agree with this. Upgraditis is a nasty disease.
In a short time you may find yourself wanting better speakers.
If this set-up is simply for movies and TV the Polks will do OK.
For music they will quickly show their weaknesses.

IMO, stay away from the Sony's. I have yet to hear any of their speakers made recently that sound good.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
There seems to have been some problems with Onkyo's reliability. I don't know if this model is in the same boat. But if you hear anything further, have a second choice ready.

D

Digital_G0D

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. If you look at my previous post, I did end up getting just the receiver and two fronts for now. Went with a pair of Polk Monitor60's for $200 from Newegg. I will save for the rest of the speakers and get them at a later date.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis