Crestron system help

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
{Woooh I know that’s a lot and if you guys don’t have the time to read this or the time to answer I understand but some input would be great. thanks guys.}

I have read the other threads on this topic but want to go over it again with any of you that can help. I have been sitting in front of a hand drawn diagram of the rooms I am setting up and want to know if I am at all right with the way these are being hitched up.....better yet I will just start with what I am doing. Then go into detail in a later post. I have 6 zones in my home/office. I have a rack system in my closet that will house everything for this system.

Zone 6 is a theater room in which I have the rack system with Denon receiver, hd/dvr Direct TV box, a Denon dvd player, a rack mounted computer and 4 Crestron Xm receivers(as of now), and I am looking into amps for the other zones in the house the denon receiver will be pre/pro/amp. In the theater room I have 7.1 surround sound driven by the 7.1 denon receiver, a Sony vpl-hs51, Lutron shades, and Lutron lighting control. I want this room and all of these components dedicated and to work off of a stx-1700cxp or a tpmc-10. This room is dedicated to theater and I don’t want any of these components distributed anywhere else in the house except for the Xm receivers.

The Xm receivers will be routed to zone 1, 2 and 3.
Zone one will use either a tps-2000L or a c2n-dbf12w or a handheld program
Zone two will use either a tps-2000L or a c2n-dbf12w or a handheld program
Zone three will use a c2n-dbf12w

Zone 1, 2 and 3 will all have Lutron lighting controls in them (still need to figure out what control (radio ra or grafik eye) and I want these controlled by the control surfaces stated above.

Zone 4 is a family room with all its own components
- 42" plasma screen
- Satellite
- 5.1 pre/pro/amp by denon
- 5.1 speakers
- HD antenna
- Denon DVD player
- Lutron lighting
I think in this zone I am just going to go with a pronto remote and control everything with that. I don't want this hitched up to the rest of the house.

Zone 5 is going to be just like zone 4 but may have one or two differences that don’t really matter.

Woooh I know that’s a lot and if you guys don’t have the time to read this or the time to answer I understand but some input would be great. Thanks guys.

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
Good point. woops I was rather taken by typing that all out. I am wondering what I need for crestron products to hitch this system together. av2? pro2? and what other crestron components?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would likely go as follows:

AV2
PWS-75
TPMC-10 (theater)
TPS-2000 (in at least one sub zone)
12 button keypads in other rooms
ML-500 in living room - VERY good remote, not buggy like Pronto can be, integrates awesome.
PAD-8 for audio distribution
C2-Enet-1 (or 2) card for TPMC-10 & e-control interface
Connecting Block - Like Xantech CB-18
Antenna for XM radio
A bunch of IR emitters
A bunch of 232 cables or custom fittings for it
A bunch of audio interconnects - custom is MUCH better in a rack!

I would definitely allow for your zones 4 & 5 to be able to listen to the XM tuners and home audio and keep it as part of Crestron. Consistency is the key to make it so that everyone in the home can use the system. Different remotes all over, or completely different systems, like being forced to use a directional IR, non-logic remote like a Pronto can really screw up the system.

Might want to consider cable music for an audio source, if you want, as well as FM radio. Neither are as nice as XM though, but have their place. Also, what about CD/DVD? Do you have a digital jukebox like a Audio Request you are considering?

Go w/Radio RA - Make sure you get the Lutron RS-232 interface.

Most of all - don't forget to get enough wires and conduit where you need them for future upgrades. Nothing is worse than wiring up a $5,000+ plasma, then finding out you can't display everything you want on it, or control it because you forgot to run the right wire and can't add it in later.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
I'll second for the Radio RA!

The Radio RA is an awesome system that is very easy to use, and can be integrated into any home using the existing wiring. I installed it in a 12,000sft. home without a hitch (three different base controllers and 3 in-wall keypads) just make sure that you get enough repeaters to cover the size of your home. But with Radio RA you can't go wrong! :D

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
thanks both you guys for the info
i am going to boil that stuff down and i will come back with a couple other questions probably. and BMXTRIX you know your ****. its great to have a resourse like you around here.

j

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
will this little bad boy work?(282M/RP
Mouse Emitter)
and a quick question. How do the rs-232 cables hitch in to that system do they plug in (with the end terminated) or do all the modules by crestron hitch together with the single wire screw downs (like the green things on this comm peice)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
IR emitters are all over eBay at good prices and are pretty much standardized - the one you show should work fine. Looks just like a Xantech IR emitter.

The green phoenix type connectors are used on Crestron for IR, Cresnet, Serial IO, and relays, but they actually use standard DB-9 serial cable connections for serial communication.

Depending on what is being controlled serially, I usually make the DB-9 connection on my own.

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
yeah i might be setting up a work bench to work on cables and stuff like that. i want a nice command station for working on all this.

thanks trix

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis