ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Last night I was truly able to enjoy a movie without trying to adjust everything on the new set-up; I am quite amazed by the sound and looks of it! Especially impressed by the sound, at low volumes, once the action gets going…what impact. I had to have the HTIB at full volume just to get a hint of sound/impact. When I look back at my original goal of just getting something better than the Sony HTIB that I was using; I just have to laugh. I guess I could say “mission accomplished”.

My only fear is that I may have created a monster. In the past my S.O. used to just play her music on the IPOD clock radio or on the LCD in the bedroom. She would play it so loud and distorted that it would make me cringe. She thought it sounded great. I even had to replace the speaker in the LCD secondary to her abuse. Well now she is getting an ear for good sound and even using some crazy AV terminology (she asked about bass contour last night) Now she wants me to run a zone into her bathroom so “it will sound good when she is getting ready”…does this ever end?...

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Look on the bright side. New audio/video budgets will be much easier to negotiate ! Lol

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just wait, it gets worse.

And, if you haven't made the jump yet, just wait until you get your first HDTV. That REALLY spoils you.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
For some it end's but for others it turns more into a hobby,it's pretty easy to spot somebody who's been converted to the dark side :) your screwed:D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
highfihoney said:
For some it end's but for others it turns more into a hobby,it's pretty easy to spot somebody who's been converted to the dark side :) your screwed:D
When does "hobby" cross the line to "obsession"?

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
there are two possible outcomes:

1) She's been converted and will be a lifelong tweaker. From this point on, sound will become more and more a part of your relationship until eventually you'll end up fighting more over how chocolaty the midrange sounds rather than who left the toilet seat up.

or

2) She's just on a kick. After a week or a month or maybe a bit more, she'll be "satisfied" (as she once was with the sound coming from her clock radio) and that will be the end of that. She'll never be interested in upgrading again because she's convinced she's found the "perfect" system. All your arguments will be for naught because she now knows (because you let her in on all your dirty little secrets) that much of this is subjective. And her subjective opinion is that she is done. Which means you're back to hording change and birthday money from your parents to upgrade you transport.

If it were me, I wouldn't count on #1. Assume #2 and get the best you can while the getting's good. Start talking about how great things are now but how much better they could be if only you upgraded.... X. Just make damn sure she hears a difference or you could kill her rush right then and there.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
markw said:
When you are upgrading and at the same time, already thinking about your next upgrade.:eek:

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
markw said:
I crossed the line years ago when i started 'collecting & storing' gear,i think the tweak & cable market is also a good pointer,when ya start looking at power cords & tweaks as components your obsessed.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I think I am about done...I have cut so many holes in my walls, ceiling and headers that I am starting to get uncomfortable...gezzzz...this house is only 3 months old...

Maybe I should bi-wire my mains when the direct TV guy is out this afternoon...I have to pull everything out of the way anyhow...Holy cow...I am obsessed... Oh well...Does it sound better to bi-wire...seems like a free upgrade...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Greg Gable said:
I think I am about done...I have cut so many holes in my walls, ceiling and headers that I am starting to get uncomfortable...gezzzz...this house is only 3 months old...

Maybe I should bi-wire my mains when the direct TV guy is out this afternoon...I have to pull everything out of the way anyhow...Holy cow...I am obsessed... Oh well...Does it sound better to bi-wire...seems like a free upgrade...
Bi-Wiring does not affect the sound or power given to your speakers. Bi-amping can give you more power if done properly. If you bi-amp using a receiver it won't likely give you anything in respect to power. If you use 2 separate stereo amps to power your fronts it can make a difference in power, +3db. You double the wattage you should only get 3 more decibels. You could use mono-blocks as well, like the Emotiva stereo amps that can be bridged or the Behringer A-500 (highly recommended on this forum and many others). the A-500 is rated at 230 watts x 2 @ 4ohms, 500 watts @ 8 ohms bridged.

Concerning your S.O. I hope that she doesn't crank your sound system like she did the iPod dock, that is the scariest thing ever.:eek: That would be my biggest concern, but I assume that you have reached an understanding with her and she is gaining a larger respect for audio in general.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My G/F loves music, but never really appreciated it for what it is until she met me :) I get no questions about why I buy the gear that I buy.

If you use 2 separate stereo amps to power your fronts it can make a difference in power, +3db. You double the wattage you should only get 3 more decibels.
Yes, but there are two additional things going on when you use separate amps 1) each portion of the speaker is being handled separately, so in reality your headroom is MUCH greater and 2) 3dB IS noticeable when you're talking about headroom. There are also 2 ways to biamp - vertical and horizontal, for balanced amp loading. With really tough to drive speakers, biamping can be a benefit, but for the 40s, a solid 2ch amp would be enough to drive them adequately. My receiver was enough to drive them at near ref levels for 3 hours.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It says her bathroom not bedroom. I am a man so I sleep where ever she tells me to....ummm...I mean where ever I want to...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
She actually has a twin but we live in Texas not Iowa.

F

f0am

Audioholic
I have always wondered what it would be like to live in Texas. :p

majorloser

majorloser

You are a lucky man!

Hey, if she's OK with the money.........good for you!

My wife became spoiled very quickly once I set up our first surround sound system. It's now her hobby, too. It never hurts to have the same interests and willingness to take it to the "next step". Unfortunately, the only cure for upgraditis is bankruptcy.

BTW- my wife is also an "Audioholic" a.k.a -loserwife
(but she's also an accountant, damn bean counters)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis