Crawling for Bass- Horizontal AND Vertical?

D

darthkringle

Junior Audioholic
One question for the seasoned board members: When "crawling for bass", does the sub only need to be in the listening position on the same horizontal plane or does it also need to be elevated vertically to ear level?

Thanks!!

It needs to be exactly where you are sitting. While there is a difference in placing the subwoofer vertically - this has nothing to do with the "Crawling for Bass" excercise and is largely impractical for most users.

D

darthkringle

Junior Audioholic
That is a relief, b/c I have an Axiom EP500 and it is a wee bit of a beast to move about. Thanks as always Clint.

S

Sinsemilla

Audioholic Intern
I was wondering this too, and actually my sub is rather light and I can move it easily. I have a small listening room so I don't need a huge sub at all for lots of bass. Since it's possible for me to elevate my sub to the level of my ears @ the listening position, would it be better to do this?

Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer

Full Audioholic
> Since it's possible for me to elevate my sub to the level of my ears @ the listening position, would it be better to do this? <

Yes, because for this method to work, your ear and sub locations must be exchanged precisely.

--Ethan

S

ScottMayo

Audioholic
darthkringle said:
One question for the seasoned board members: When "crawling for bass", does the sub only need to be in the listening position on the same horizontal plane or does it also need to be elevated vertically to ear level?
Thanks!!
You get the most accurate results if the sub is brought to the usual height of your ear, and the crawler is at the usual height of the sub. It's a pain.

Luckily, in most rooms, it doesn't matter too much. With an 8' ceiling and a 3' ear level, the floor-ceiling mode is not the biggest problem for bass; so accurate placement in height isn't that incredibly critical.

You haven't had fun until you've hoisted a VMPS "Larger" sub up onto a chair and crawled around in a large room, listening to 30Hz tones for an hour, with a test meter. I think I was gibbering by the end.

F

Fierce Mice

Audioholic Intern
Think how gibbering you would be if you crawled around for an hour listening to 30hz test tones without raising the sub to ear level...and realizing one of those improbable events that make life so fun had occurred...after you had finalized all your room layout and setup!

If you go to the trouble of doing this, might as well do it right to try to rule out the improbable!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis