Craigslist great find...

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I saw a set of speakers on CL and the guy said he has a crew that go in and clean out buildings and he cleaned out an AMC theater and got some of the speakers. I thought they were Klipsch Heresy speakers but they are actually made by a company named High performance stereo. I went to his house and auditioned them with a small boom box I brought with me and they sounded very nice considering what I was using to test them. They are clones of the Heresy's from what I can tell. Well I ended up buying all 4 of them for $100 and I am super happy with my first really great CL deal. These are the specs and some info on these speakers. speakers.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_143431896167210&key=3397896ab70579bd534071f2988ad06f&libId=iax0ggw30100sq3d000DAeq5fgmo4&loc=http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/chat-box-swamp/124554-1986-theater-speakers.html&v=1&out=http://www.hps4000.com/pages/sr_70_.html&ref=http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3182290&photoplog_searchinfo=1&title=1986 theater speakers - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com&txt=http://www.hps4000.com/pages/sr_70_.html

Here are some pics of them.....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Speaking of 'finds', I got a buffer/polisher for 5 bucks. It was $20 but when it failed to work, I got it for 5. Then just before I was ready to take it apart I curled up my fingers into a fist and clubbed the thing while it was plugged in and it gasped for air. I brought the hammer down yet again just to show it what happens to my sh!t when it don't work and it's been fine since ... winnin'. :D

What are you gonna do with those speakers? Surrounds? Different system?

I noticed the sensitivity on those is 98db unless I need glasses. With a power handling of 600 watts, that's got to be plenty loud enough for you and your block. Congrats. :)

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
What are you gonna do with those speakers? Surrounds? Different system?

I noticed the sensitivity on those is 98db unless I need glasses. With a power handling of 600 watts, that's got to be plenty loud enough for you and your block. Congrats. :)
Your correct they are 98db for sensitivity I am going to hook them up to my Home Theater system and see how they sound before I decide where they will go.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
looks like great find. These speakers are made for surround duty, but not in homes, but in large venues. But in home these could easily be base for great AT Screen LCR system. Just compliment with capable folded horn subs

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Your correct they are 98db for sensitivity I am going to hook them up to my Home Theater system and see how they sound before I decide where they will go.
Enjoy them things - they look nice - and a solid deal for $100

The best I have found in yard sales from my area, are the Infinity 1500e speakers
for $20 a pair. They did sound nice - however, they still lacked definition with their
budget version of the EMIT tweeter. The speaker only had a 12 db high pass filter.
Someone will enjoy them.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
looks like great find. These speakers are made for surround duty, but not in homes, but in large venues. But in home these could easily be base for great AT Screen LCR system. Just compliment with capable folded horn subs
If I use them for LCR duty I have Chase HT Pro-10's which are horn speakers for surrounds and a Danley DTS-10 for sub duties.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If I use them for LCR duty I have Chase HT Pro-10's which are horn speakers for surrounds and a Danley DTS-10 for sub duties.
That would be very sweet setup I think. Very dynamic for sure.
Probably matchbox sized amp can play it at reference levels.
These?: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/chase-home-theater-sho-10-speaker-for-sale.92664/

Also I wont recommend running that speaker on it's side for center - you'd better of with horizontal distribution if your "center" is vertical

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
That would be very sweet setup I think. Very dynamic for sure.
Probably matchbox sized amp can play it at reference levels.
These?: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/chase-home-theater-sho-10-speaker-for-sale.92664/

Also I wont recommend running that speaker on it's side for center - you'd better of with horizontal distribution if your "center" is vertical
I am running my mains now with a QSC GX5 which does 500w into 8 ohms so that is what I will use to run the new speakers. I agree with you on the config for running one of them as a center. Vertical is the way to go and I have enough room under my screen for just that.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
98dB sensitivity. For the hell of it you should try hooking them directly to the headphone jack from your phone/iPod. I have a friend that did that with his old electravoice speakers, and it was pretty surprising how loud they would play. I'm not saying he decided not to get an amp, but it was clear he didn't need much power.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
98dB sensitivity. For the hell of it you should try hooking them directly to the headphone jack from your phone/iPod. I have a friend that did that with his old electravoice speakers, and it was pretty surprising how loud they would play. I'm not saying he decided not to get an amp, but it was clear he didn't need much power.
Well I used a Sony portable cd/cassette/radio To make sure they worked and just with that little boom box they sounded pretty good. On the back of the speaker is say's it can take 600w so my 500w QSC at 98db sensitivity should bring them to life very easily.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I am running my mains now with a QSC GX5 which does 500w into 8 ohms so that is what I will use to run the new speakers. I agree with you on the config for running one of them as a center. Vertical is the way to go and I have enough room under my screen for just that.
BTW what do you think of that QSC GX5 amp??

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
BTW what do you think of that QSC GX5 amp??
I really like it. It powers my Cerwin Vega XLS-215's with ease. Also unlike many pro amps the fans are not very loud at all. You can't even hear them unless you are right next to it so no fan mod is necessary.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I really like it. It powers my Cerwin Vega XLS-215's with ease. Also unlike many pro amps the fans are not very loud at all. You can't even hear them unless you are right next to it so no fan mod is necessary.
The reason I asked because I have that same amp and I think it's a fantastic amp for the price. I have amps that cost thousands more and I think this QSC sounds just as good. I use it to drive 2 15" Isobaric subs.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
The reason I asked because I have that same amp and I think it's a fantastic amp for the price. I have amps that cost thousands more and I think this QSC sounds just as good. I use it to drive 2 15" Isobaric subs.
I agree, QSC makes a great product.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I finished repainting one today and I tool some pics of the components. All Electro voice parts. They look brand new.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
These had scratches and some corner damage but it wasn't too bad so I just gave them a wet sand and a new coat of paint.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis