Crackling in speakers with new receiver

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Hi-

I'm new to this website and found it trying to troubleshoot a problem I'm having. I just bought a new receiver, an Onkyo TX-SR702. I know it's not high end, but it's the best I could do. At any rate, upon hooking it up, I heard some light crackling/popping in my speakers that I'd never heard. It's not real loud, but definitely audible I've got Boston Acoustics CR95's hooked up to it that aren't even a year old, using monstercable wires. As a test, I hooked them back up to my old receiver, via the same coaxial connection, and heard nothing. I hooked it back up to the Onkyo and the craclking reappeared. I called Onkyo and a rep suggested reseting the processor. I did so. I cut the receiver on...still crackling. I hooked them back up (just to make sure) to the old receiver and still no crackling.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on here. My hunch is that it's the receiver, but I'm not that knowledgeable about what would be causing a "crackling" in the speakers, and why it would dissappear when hooked to another receiver.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with any advice or tips on how to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

D

dohanc

Junior Audioholic
If you disconnect all the inputs does the crackling remain? And does volume affect the loudness of the crackling?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it does get louder. I don't know if I explained earlier, but it is sporatic..meaning it's not a continuous crackling...it only comes every so ofter...so it's not a constant crackle/buzz. If the volume is louder, it is louder through the speaker.

Also, per your suggestion, I unhooked everything so that only the speakers were connected and the crackle remained.

This is a brand new receiver and it's bumming me out. Any more suggestions or hints at what this might be?

Thanks.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
If the crackling is heard upon adjustment of the volume, the likely cause is contamination (dust usually) in the volume pot. The pot (potentiometer (sp?)) is the variable output device (or guts of ) behind the volume knob.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
If I were in your shoes I would exchange the receiver for a new one and see if that resolves your problem. I do not believe there is a "design flaw" in the Onkyo, they make good receivers AFAIK. I have had an Onkyo 595 for about 4 years with no problems.

X

xyntax

Enthusiast
maybe you have to exchange your 702 with a new one.try to read on the qc issue on the 02's model of onkyo.mine is a 602E(european version) and it drives my jamo E850 very well. :)

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
....and if it is a new unit, still under warranty, I'd make them fix it or give you a replacement.....

T

tw2143

Audiophyte
Same problem with Onkyo 777

Had the same problem with the Onkyo 777. Had it fixed once under warranty and it happened again after warranty. Definately the receiver because for me it happened on the left front surround speaker. I switched the speakers and it still occurred on the left front. It was also sporatic. The first repair was just a resodering of something. The second time I bought a Yamaha 1500. I'll get the Onk fixed but I'm in no hurry. Heard that it may have happened because it got too hot. I dodn't buy the 702 because of my problems with the 777. Figured I didn't owe Onkyo the new business. I'd demand a new 702 since this has been that way since it was new.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis