counterfeit speakers on ebay

P

panicphan6

Audioholic Intern
how big of a problem is it? are there really counterfeits out there? i found a pair of primus 360s for $279/pair on ebay just a minute ago. this seems awfully cheap for a pair of primus towers...the seller says he is an authorized dealer, but infinity says he is only authorized to sell refurbished and discontinued products. i'm wondering if his speakers are refurbished? he is saying they are new. let me know what you think..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130011756473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

From what we can tell (and they'll never admit this) HK/Infinity ship a lot of b-stock to certain dealers to sell online... makes them money and keeps them in good graces with dealers who don't sell b-stock items. It's a very strange market. We only say this because if you add up the amount of b-stock and "reconditioned" items around the web, either they have a SERIOUS quality control issue or this is part of their business model.

Here is the Harman "outlet" site for reference: http://www.harmanaudiooutlet.com/

P

panicphan6

Audioholic Intern
do you think these are b-stock? i dont want to put a bid on them if they are b-stock :rolleyes:

P

panicphan6

Audioholic Intern
lol, yeah really. is there a big difference in b-stock speakers? pardon my ignorance but i'm not familiar with b-stock.

mytzen

mytzen

Audioholic
B-stock normally means that there are some cosmetic blemishes on the item. Some also have reduced warranties. You should contact the manufacturer to get their definition of B-stock.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you bid on the H/K "authorized" dealer auctions, I'll bet you dollars to deutschmarks that another "3rd party bidder" will up your bid to within $1 of the buy it now price within a few hours. Even if you bid on 20+ items, the same guy just has an insatiable appetite for speakers ;)

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
B-Stock can also indicate that there is no cosmetic blemishes/issues, but an item has been serviced for an issue at some point and they cannot legally re-sell it for the original asking/new price. Any reputable manufacturer would obviously have it go through yet another round of QA testing to verify it's properly functioning, so often, refurbished products may possibly have better track records than "new off the shelf" products.

Personally, I feel this is one of the best ways to save some money on a product that might have otherwise been a little too much for one to afford. I myself, have saved a few grand on buying used and refurbished items for both of my systems allowing me some pretty decent equipment that I otherwise couldn't swing.

Just use your common sense, buy from reputable sellers and be aware that there is some risk involved with buying used/refurbished equipment, but with risk comes reward and this is no exception... -TD

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Certain things are more suspect as refurbs, but speakers are not one of them. Basically they rebuild the speakers, replacing whatever was bad, so you are getting essentially a new speaker sound wise, though may have a few cosmetic blemishes. I don't have a problem buying used or refurb speakers.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
If you bid on the H/K "authorized" dealer auctions, I'll bet you dollars to deutschmarks that another "3rd party bidder" will up your bid to within $1 of the buy it now price within a few hours. Even if you bid on 20+ items, the same guy just has an insatiable appetite for speakers ;)

If I saw a pattern of that, I would raise so much hell for the people involved in that shill that it's not even funny. I'm pretty good at weeding out this type of activity....you'll notice it is very common on many of the Ampzilla and Sumo branded amps as well.

Ticks me off to no end...if the person wanted it to sell for that much, put it up with the start bid $1 below the buy it now. This is part of why I no longer "bid" on ebay, I only use buy it now, unless I cannot find what I want for the price I want, then I will bid.

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
well if you find or think they are counterfeit speakers then i would

suggest paying with confederate money. should balance out that way. send him some robert e lee hundreds. hehehe.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis