Could Use Some Help On A Receiver

Dylanl

Dylanl

Audiophyte
Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the forum and could use some advice on picking out a new receiver. I'm currently in the process of buying pieces of a new home theatre setup. For now I'm going to go with the Klipsch KF-26 floorstanding speakers and the SW-450 or SW-350 sub. I'm going to do the 2.1 system now and then move to 5.1 down the road. I'm aware a lot of people think Klipsch is too bright but I've heard them and like them. The big thing I need advice on is a receiver. The receiver I'm looking at spending a decent amount on because it'll last quite awhile and if I change speakers down the road I want a good receiver. Here's what I've been looking at: Marantz SR5008 and NR1605, Denon AVR-X3100W and AVR-X2100W, Onkyo TX-NR737 and TX-NR636. I've mainly been looking at the Marantz SR5008 and the Denons. I've always been told Marantz is the brand to go with but the SR5008 doesn't have built in WIFI which I think I'd like but may be able to deal without. It's the one I'm leaning toward but I'm very new to everything so I'd love everyones opinion.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get the Denon X2000 for $400 or wait for the prices on the X3000 and X4000 to also drop later this year.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If you like the 5008, I wouldn't let the lack of wifi turn you against it. If nothing else, you can add any $25 wireless bridge from Amazon if connecting the Ethernet interface to your home network is impractical. This looks like a great one. (See "used and new from $3.36" link when you go there.)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just to play devil's advocate, the Hsu STF-2 is on sale for $329 for Fathers Day and will bet the pants of those subs you're looking at.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Listen to MarkW: By all means get the Klipsch speakers if you like them, but there's no reason *at all* to stick with Klipsch for the subwoofers. I don't think they even match visually, which is the only reason to stay within brands. Hsu offers far greater performance per dollar.

Dylanl

Dylanl

Audiophyte
Thanks for the recommendation Mark. I'll definitely give it a look. I can get the Klipsch for a pretty good price but I'll definitely give that sub a look. I hadn't thought about the bridge for getting the Internet to the receiver so that takes that out of the equation. I don't want to just go off name but the Marantz seemed like a good receiver. Any other opinions?

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
The Marantz 5008 is a nice AVR but it does not have all the features you are looking for. It does have 7.2 preouts which may come in handy if you decide to add any external amps.
It also has Audyssey MultEQ XT which may help tame the Klipsch speakers if you have issues with them in your room.
The new Onkyo's have their own new proprietaryAccuEQ that replaces Audyssey, it may or may not be better. I suspect it was a cost savings.
Personally I like Denon, I'm still running an old 3805, and looks like the AVR-X3100W fits your needs so...
And as has been mentioned, I'd also look at a different sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis