M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Well I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. No issues so far aside from a mildly sore arm. I've never been so happy to wait in a line in my life.
My brother just got his first shot. He said there wasn't much to it.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
There were 17 changes to the genome found in Kent. I think that unless the genome of any varieties of the Covid-19 virus are alleged to have caused significant change then the whole genome needs to be decoded.
I'm not sure I follow. I think you're saying it's not worth decoding the whole genome if the varieties are significantly different? (i.e. there isn't much value in decoding the genome if it doesn't tell us much about the different varieties)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm not sure I follow. I think you're saying it's not worth decoding the whole genome if the varieties are significantly different? (i.e. there isn't much value in decoding the genome if it doesn't tell us much about the different varieties)
No, my point was that you can not focus just on this N501Y mutation to identify this virus found in Kent. At the moment I understand there is no PCR test specifically for this variant. So identifying it is not easy. Dr Fauci made that point pretty much this morning. At the moment identifying it is difficult. It does seem worrying. There is not a place in the SE of the UK, where cases are not rising fast. Despite severe restrictions cases are rising fast in every area of Kent and Sussex. Medway now has over 120 cases per 1000 population and rising.
So the pandemic has taken a really bad trajectory.
My brother had to be rushed to Medway Maritime by ambulance this morning after his sats dropped and he became weak with fever spiking. He was able to Email me this afternoon. He has received the Regeneron monoclonal antibody. That is still investigational in the UK. He was enrolled as part of a trial run by Oxford university.
If we get case rises like that in the US were in many places we have already lost control, then we are going to have a truly awful situation.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
My brother had to be rushed to Medway Maritime by ambulance this morning after his sats dropped and he became weak with fever spiking. He was able to Email me this afternoon. He has received the Regeneron monoclonal antibody. That is still investigational in the UK. He was enrolled as part of a trial run by Oxford university.
If we get case rises like that in the US were in many places we have already lost control, then we are going to have a truly awful situation.
I'm sorry to hear about your brother's situation. I certainly hope the treatment is effective and his condition improves.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
No, my point was that you can not focus just on this N501Y mutation to identify this virus found in Kent. At the moment I understand there is no PCR test specifically for this variant. So identifying it is not easy. Dr Fauci made that point pretty much this morning. At the moment identifying it is difficult. It does seem worrying. There is not a place in the SE of the UK, where cases are not rising fast. Despite severe restrictions cases are rising fast in every area of Kent and Sussex. Medway now has over 120 cases per 1000 population and rising.
So the pandemic has taken a really bad trajectory.
I hope your brother pulls through this, Doc.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm perfectly okay with the vaccines, but I've noticed some people are worried due to news reports of adverse reactions.

Here's an article discussing the possible role of polyethylene glycol (PEG) in the RARE (6 out of 272,001) allergic reactions to the COVID-19 vaccines.

>>>The two vaccines both contain mRNA wrapped in lipid nanoparticles (LNPs) that help carry it to human cells but also act as an adjuvant, a vaccine ingredient that bolsters the immune response. The LNPs are “PEGylated”—chemically attached to PEG molecules that cover the outside of the particles and increase their stability and life span. . . .

Szebeni says the mechanism behind PEG-conjugated anaphylaxis is relatively unknown because it does not involve immunoglobulin E (IgE), the antibody type that causes classical allergic reactions. (That’s why he prefers to call them “anaphylactoid” reactions.) Instead, PEG triggers two other classes of antibodies, immunoglobulin M (IgM) and immunoglobulin G (IgG), involved in a branch of the body’s innate immunity called the complement system, which Szebeni has spent decades studying in a pig model he developed. . . .

Other scientists, meanwhile, are not convinced PEG is involved at all. “There is a lot of exaggeration when it comes to the risk of PEGs and CARPA,” says Moein Moghimi, a nanomedicine researcher at Newcastle University who suspects a more conventional mechanism is causing the reactions. “You are technically delivering an adjuvant at the injection site to excite the local immune system. It happens that some people get too much excitement, because they have a relatively high number of local immune cells.”<<<

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/suspicions-grow-nanoparticles-pfizer-s-covid-19-vaccine-trigger-rare-allergic-reactions

According to this article, epinephrine is the only effective treatment for anaphylaxis:

>>>People may wonder if they should administer epinephrine if they suspect — but aren’t sure — that they are having an anaphylactic reaction. The answer is yes. Epinephrine should be administered without delay if there is any concern or suspicion of anaphylaxis, because the risk of an untreated severe allergic reaction outweighs the risk of inappropriately receiving epinephrine.<<<

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Moderna vaccine was approved in Canada today. Intention is to use it in more remote areas where the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine may not be feasible because of its storage requirements.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I hope your brother pulls through this, Doc.
Thank you. I spoke with him by phone this morning. He is no better and sounds pretty rough. He is still short of breath which concerns me and on oxygen. He is no worse then yesterday. He has received the Regeneron monoclonal antibody and dexamethasone.

We lost a 49 year old school teacher from Grand Forks last night after about six week on the vent. He leaves a wife and two teenage children. I have to say I am totally out of patience with the "no worse than flu" crowd.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The bad news just keeps coming. The UK minister of health Matt Hancock has just reported two cases of a mutant South African strain. They were contacts of an individual who recently returned from South Africa. They have apparently had this strain for a while, and it is more infectious even than the one in the South East of England. That UK strain also appears to be spreading fast in Denmark and Holland at the moment. The South African strain seems to also make children and younger people ill.
If the population don't get a grip, we will not be able to edit vaccines fast enough to keep up with the mutations.
Spread around the world is now a major problem. I think it is time to ground all passenger aircraft world wide.

Astrs/Zeneka, have presented their data to the UK regulator today. They hope to start vaccinating with it next week.
There is no alternative now but to really cut red tape.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'll defend neither him, nor those who wail and whine incessantly about him. In the words of the Budweiser frog, "Let it go, Louie. Let it go."
Don't you see the irony of disparaging those that knows (and post about) that the Trump handling of the deadly epidemic is worse than awful and then post you post your healing wishes to @TLS Guy brother? In this very thread? :rolleyes:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Don't you see the irony of disparaging those that knows (and post about) that the Trump handling of the deadly epidemic is worse than awful and then post you post your healing wishes to @TLS Guy brother? In this very thread? :rolleyes:
Exactly who is responsible for our national illness and death had zero to do with wishing TLS Guy brother's healing. You might want to get your priorities in order.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis