M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here's a link to a paper that stating that the earliest samples were collected in September 2020. The paper suggests (but does not prove) that the mutation may have occurred in a chronically-infected patient. This does make me wonder about the wisdom of using plasma to treat patients.

>>>The two earliest sampled genomes that belong to the B.1.1.7 lineage were collected on 20-Sept-2020 in Kent and another on 21-Sept-2020 from Greater London. . . .

The B.1.1.7 lineage carries a larger than usual number of virus genetic changes. The accrual of 14 lineage-specific amino acid replacements prior to its detection is, to date, unprecedented in the global virus genomic data for the COVID-19 pandemic. Most branches in the global phylogenetic tree of SARS-CoV-2 show no more than a few mutations and mutations accumulate at a relatively consistent rate over time. Estimates suggest that circulating SARS-CoV-2 lineages accumulate nucleotide mutations at a rate of about 1-2 mutations per month (Duchene et al. 2020). . . .

What evolutionary processes or selective pressures might have given rise to lineage B.1.1.7?
High rates of mutation accumulation over short time periods have been reported previously in studies of immunodeficient or immunosuppressed patients who are chronically infected with SARS-CoV-2 (Choi et al. 2020; Avanzato et al. 2020; Kemp et al. 2020). These infections exhibit detectable SARS-CoV-2 RNA for 2-4 months or longer (although there are also reports of long infections in some immunocompetent individuals). The patients are treated with convalescent plasma (sometimes more than once) and usually also with the drug remdesivir. Virus genome sequencing of these infections reveals unusually large numbers of nucleotide changes and deletion mutations and often high ratios of non-synonymous to synonymous changes. . . .

These considerations lead us to hypothesise that the unusual genetic divergence of lineage B.1.1.7 may have resulted, at least in part, from virus evolution with a chronically-infected individual. Although such infections are rare, and onward transmission from them presumably even rarer, they are not improbable given the ongoing large number of new infections. Although we speculate here that chronic infection played a role in the origins of the B.1.1.7 variant, this remains a hypothesis and we cannot yet infer the precise nature of this event.<<<

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It's not that recent a variant. UK reported that they had been infested with it since March.
That is not true. The first sample to show the new mutation was collected in Swale in September. It took until almost November for the virus to be decoded by Porton Down. Then it took until last Friday for scientists to be confident that this strain was the one spreading faster then other mutant strains.

I can't emphasize enough the insufficient restrictions have allowed this virus the opportunity to go through many, and increasing iterations, with an ever increasing number of mutations.

I think the public do not understand he scale of the problem.

First thing noticed is a case count rapidly rising. First reaction, is the public is non compliant. (likely). Investigations shows public is largely compliant with prevailing area restrictions. So increase restrictions and look for other explanations.

Multiple samples are sent form affected area to Porton Down. Laborious work of genetic decoding of samples takes place.

Multiple different mutated strains identified, but there is no clue as to the responsible mutant strain is progressively dominating over the other strains.

So testing continues until you find which strain is clearly coming out, and predominating over the others. By the time this work was done this new strain is 60% of cases in Kent.

The overwhelming probability is that this strain is now far more widespread than people want to admit. Sir Patrick Valance feels it is likely widespread in Europe and probably beyond.

I think it is recognized now, that the virus was in fact probably decoded first in the UK, because of the capabilities at Porton Down. This is a unit most people have not heard of previously as it is a military top secret biological and chemical warfare unit, and its activities are a state secret. As stated previously it is over 100 years old and was founded in WW I when the Germans started using mustard gas. So little of its work is known publicly, but in this pandemic it has come into the limelight and has been very busy. They have been a partner with the Jenner institute in the development of the Oxford vaccine.

A few weeks ago the Queen visited Porton Down to personally thank the staff. This is the only trip she has made out of London since the start of the pandemic. This highlights the importance attached to that facility.

On another note there is a huge problem created by France at the Kent ports. They closed their borders, to manned freight for 48 hours. Which would have lasted to midnight tomorrow GMT. However they now say the drivers have to show evidence of a negative test. This is hundreds of tests a day. They also insist they be PCR tests. The problem is that these test will take 24 to 48 hours. In addition to that, there is no certainty which tests can detect this new strain which can not.

As an example my brother James contracted Covid-19 11 days ago. He almost certainly has the new strain, as his office is in Sittingbourne which is in Swale. He lives in Medway at Rainham. Of 8 staff who work in the office, 7 have now come down with the virus. His illness is quite severe actually, but he has not had to go to hospital. I check in with him daily. His O2 sats are just OK, and I think he is turning the corner. His wife has also become ill but with a mild illness. She was tested after my brother. I established they had different tests. My brother's test was positive, but his wife's negative. So that is yet another issue.

So I'm not convinced the French are doing anything with this restriction, but being a nuisance as usual.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here's a quote by a professor to the effect that the N501Y mutation had already occurred earlier.

>>>Dr Julian Tang, Honorary Associate Professor/Clinical Virologist, University of Leicester, said:

“Regarding the N501Y mutation within the new B.1.1.7 lineage, part of the 20B/GR SARS-COV-2 clade, which was already defined in this earlier paper (Fig 1):

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.32.2001410

“An examination of the global GISAID SARS-COV-2 sequence database shows that this N501Y mutation was actually circulating, sporadically, much earlier in the year outside the UK: in Australia in June-July, USA in July and in Brazil in April, 2020.” “Whether or not these viruses were brought to the UK and Europe later by travellers or arose spontaneously in multiple locations around the world (in response to human host immune selection pressures) requires further investigation.”<<<

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
To me Dude has always had a hillbilly connotation attached to it. At least I think it does in the Midwest.
Where I'm from it just means you're a bud, a pal. Like "Hey, dude!" Or cool.:cool:

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I read it was birthed in Africa.
Either way, why has the __________ know as Trump not stopped flights from Great Britain yet?

The guy stopped doing his job entirely months ago. If the 25th is not used today, we may as well repeal it, it is useless.
It's like Operation Warp Speed: he's absent until an opportunity comes to take credit for it.
Trump is an extreme narcissist. He's never going to empathize. It's that simple.
Edit: another example: during his brother's funeral years back, Trump talked about himself.:rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's like Operation Warp Speed: he's absent until an opportunity comes to take credit for it.
Trump is an extreme narcissist. He's never going to empathize. It's that simple.
He's all about the narcissism. Must have been a fuckedup childhood. Or maybe just greed does that. He has no sense of humor, music, empathy or much of anything else unless he thinks he'll get better ratings for it....

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Here's a quote by a professor to the effect that the N501Y mutation had already occurred earlier.

>>>Dr Julian Tang, Honorary Associate Professor/Clinical Virologist, University of Leicester, said:

“Regarding the N501Y mutation within the new B.1.1.7 lineage, part of the 20B/GR SARS-COV-2 clade, which was already defined in this earlier paper (Fig 1):

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.32.2001410

“An examination of the global GISAID SARS-COV-2 sequence database shows that this N501Y mutation was actually circulating, sporadically, much earlier in the year outside the UK: in Australia in June-July, USA in July and in Brazil in April, 2020.” “Whether or not these viruses were brought to the UK and Europe later by travellers or arose spontaneously in multiple locations around the world (in response to human host immune selection pressures) requires further investigation.”<<<

There were 17 changes to the genome found in Kent. I think that unless the genome of any varieties of the Covid-19 virus are alleged to have caused significant change then the whole genome needs to be decoded.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
According to Reuters, the drug companies are testing to see if the existing vaccines are effective against the new strain. In short, the companies say they expect the vaccines to be effective but they need to run tests. They also say they can create a new vaccine very quickly if needed, but it's unclear how regulators would react.

>>>Even though there are multiple mutations, BioNTech’s Sahin said, most of the sites on the virus that are recognised by the body’s T-cell response are unchanged, and multiple antibody binding sites are also conserved. . . .

In the event that the variant presents vaccine developers with an unexpected challenge, an advantage of mRNA is that scientists can quickly re-engineer genetic material in the shot to match that of the mutated protein, whereas modifying traditional vaccines would require extra steps.

“In principle, the beauty of the mRNA technology is we can directly start to engineer a vaccine which completely mimics this new mutation,” Sahin said.

“We could be able to provide a new vaccine technically within six weeks. Of course, this is not only a technical question. We have to deal with how regulators... would see that.”<<<

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
According to Reuters, the drug companies are testing to see if the existing vaccines are effective against the new strain. In short, the companies say they expect the vaccines to be effective but they need to run tests. They also say they can create a new vaccine very quickly if needed, but it's unclear how regulators would react … …
The seasonal flu vaccine changes each year as influenza type A can rapidly vary it's genetic make up. They are accepted by the FDA without requiring full clinical trial data to demonstrate safety & efficacy. The methods of making the flu vaccines differ from those for the new corona virus vaccines, but they are the regulatory precedent for rapid acceptance of vaccine modifications to keep up with rapidly changing viruses.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The seasonal flu vaccine changes each year as influenza type A can rapidly vary it's genetic make up. They are accepted by the FDA without requiring full clinical trial data to demonstrate safety & efficacy. The methods of making the flu vaccines differ from those for the new corona virus vaccines, but they are the regulatory precedent for rapid acceptance of vaccine modifications to keep up with rapidly changing viruses.
Trinity.png

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Yep. Let's call it The Enthusiastic But Neurotically Adolescent Hate The Orange Devil thread. ;)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yep. Let's call it The Enthusiastic But Neurotically Adolescent Hate The Orange Devil thread. ;)
Every adult knows that the Orange Saviour, anointed by God, saved the world from the pandemic and his advice has been indispensable. So many more people would have died, at least those with the right skin color, if it where not for his heroic and herculean efforts. The scary part is that so many believe the tripe I just wrote.;)

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Well I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. No issues so far aside from a mildly sore arm. I've never been so happy to wait in a line in my life.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis