Corner placement--yes or no?

55katest55

Audioholic
I hear many varying opinions about corner placement. Some people say dont do it, it muddies up the bass, other say do it because it increases output and you can EQ it.

What do you guys think?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I think you should just try it and see how you like it. I can't test mine in a corner since I don't have one available.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
I hear many varying opinions about corner placement. Some people say dont do it, it muddies up the bass, other say do it because it increases output and you can EQ it.

What do you guys think?
I have both my subs near corners,my Paradigm is about 30" from the lf fr corner & the Emotiva is about the same in the rt rr corner,and it sounds great IMO !
I have Auralex grammas on both as well as a anti-mode bass eq on both,and the room is 19' front to rear & 17' L to R.

Last edited:
spyder152

spyder152

Audioholic Intern
I have mine in the corner, having the sub facing down the longest wall, sounds great to me

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Totally depends on your room. Do you have an SPL meter? A lot of the questions you've been asking are going to depend on you having one.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
if i remember correctly floyd toole recommends starting with corner placement for subs because you get the most output that way. he recommends changing it if you are unhappy with the response.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Given that most people do not buy great subwoofers capable of high output, corner placement is probably best for most people, as it increases the effective output. But one should try it and compare with other placement options, as it will not always be best.

As for EQing a subwoofer, if you have the equipment for it, that can help quite a bit. But only for getting rid of peaks, not for filling in significant valleys in the frequency response, because it takes considerable power to do that, and very often, neither the woofer nor the amplifier is not going to be able to handle it. Remember, a 10dB dip would require 10 times the normal power to fill it, and that is just not going to do doable for usable volumes with normal subwoofers.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The varying opinions are due to various results because of various circumstances.

What you're saying is that you've read that some people say shoe size 12 EE is too small while others say it's too big, and some say it's just right. Who is right?

Each room is different. You should try it in various positions and see which one works best for your particular environment.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Corner placement can be good and it can be bad.

The real answer is to try different placements until you're satisfied. a measurement setup can make a big difference. A second sub can make a huge difference.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
In My Case

I feel that it largely depends on the room. I ended up putting mine in a corner for the deepest and loudest bass. Also, I thought that the transient response was better with that placement instead of out in the room somewhere.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Put your subwoofer in the listening position, play bass heavy music like techno and start crawling like a baby. The position where you feel the bass is not too bloated and not too anemic is where your subwoofer should be. There will be many spots like this around the room, so find the one that is most optimal.

NOTE: Do not use test tones for this method. The peak and dips are frequency dependent. A position that works for one frequency may not be as good for a different one. This crawling method for location works best done with music or bass heavy movie pieces (Finding Nemo - Darla Tap Scene) since they do not focus on a specific frequency. For the same reason, use different tracks/scenes and fine tune the location.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can simplify it by choosing some possible locations and comparing the sound in those locations. You may not find a "perfect" spot for it, so just go with the one that works the best.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Does sealed or ported matter?

I'm thinking that the gentler roll off of sealed subs has more effect when it comes to corner loading. More of the bass below the -3db point is realized, no? At the risk of boominess, won't corner loading effectively extend the depths to which they'll dig?

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I'm thinking that the gentler roll off of sealed subs has more effect when it comes to corner loading. More of the bass below the -3db point is realized, no? At the risk of boominess, won't corner loading effectively extend the depths to which they'll dig?
Sometimes it will and that is what happened to me. But, in my room, I have no excessive boominess at all. That is why you'll most likely have to experiment with placement.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
ALL of the effects are entirely dependent on your whole room, not just putting it in the corner. If you have a square footprint room, corner loading may not be the best thing. Corner loading will increase output, but depending on the size of the legs of the room, it may also cause other negative effects via room modes. It may accentuate the lower end for a certain sub in a given room, but it won't extend it below what it is capable of. Sealed or ported doesn't really matter, you have the same benefits/issues, but ported subs can actually be harder to place in a room depending on the port configuration.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis