Convert RCA (Analog) to speaker cable

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I need to send an analog signal from my AVR to where my home run for my zone 2 is located. I don't think this was preplanned, but I have the following running from my AVR to this location: (9) cat 5e to each volume control and 2 pair (L&R) speaker cable, Why I did not put a analog cable (L&R), I don't know. But, it is what it is.

So, I was wondering if anyone has come across a converter for Speaker wire to RCA / Analog. Over the weekend I spliced a RCA (Analog) cable up and it had a + & -. I remember that I might be able to carry the signal over this, but before I hook this up and run signal through it, I wanted to ask those who are more well versed in this if this would be OK, not fry my zone 2.

Also, is there a commercial adaptor out there that could accomplish this in a better method?

The zone 2 has 9 different rooms that will have their own volume control.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Those might work, but the signal woud be going from RCA (Low Level) out of the AVR through the speaker cable to another AVR / amp, then to the speaker.

Would those converters mess with the signal, or would that be a question for Parts express?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, gonna have to ask them. I am not sure if those work in the other direction. These are usually used to go from speaker level to line level.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I need to send an analog signal from my AVR to where my home run for my zone 2 is located. I don't think this was preplanned, but I have the following running from my AVR to this location: (9) cat 5e to each volume control and 2 pair (L&R) speaker cable, Why I did not put a analog cable (L&R), I don't know. But, it is what it is.

So, I was wondering if anyone has come across a converter for Speaker wire to RCA / Analog. Over the weekend I spliced a RCA (Analog) cable up and it had a + & -. I remember that I might be able to carry the signal over this, but before I hook this up and run signal through it, I wanted to ask those who are more well versed in this if this would be OK, not fry my zone 2.

Also, is there a commercial adaptor out there that could accomplish this in a better method?

The zone 2 has 9 different rooms that will have their own volume control.
Are you using a separate amplifier for the Zone 2 speakers or an ABUS system with amplified keypads?

One stereo amp to run 9 different rooms is far from the right way to do this. Divide the total max power by the number of speakers and that's close to what each will get, no more. If you want to make it easier, get a multi-channel amplifier like the Dayton MA1240 and if you need some speakers to be louder, get two of them and bridge some of the channels. You can't connect 9 rooms of speakers to one amp without blowing it up- the amplifier isn't designed for that kind of load. The benefit of the multi-channel amp is that you won't be hanging a bunch of speakers on each channel, dropping the load to nothing and frying the amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-815&ctab=5

BTW- if you try to use one of those High-Low level converters, you'll fry it and possibly the amp, depending on how the adapter goes away. It's almost guaranteed that you'll see smoke.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Are you using a separate amplifier for the Zone 2 speakers or an ABUS system with amplified keypads?

One stereo amp to run 9 different rooms is far from the right way to do this. Divide the total max power by the number of speakers and that's close to what each will get, no more. If you want to make it easier, get a multi-channel amplifier like the Dayton MA1240 and if you need some speakers to be louder, get two of them and bridge some of the channels. You can't connect 9 rooms of speakers to one amp without blowing it up- the amplifier isn't designed for that kind of load. The benefit of the multi-channel amp is that you won't be hanging a bunch of speakers on each channel, dropping the load to nothing and frying the amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-815&ctab=5

BTW- if you try to use one of those High-Low level converters, you'll fry it and possibly the amp, depending on how the adapter goes away. It's almost guaranteed that you'll see smoke.
I would be using the Onkyou TXSR 702 that I have kicking around. I would just have it come into one of the inputs and then set the volume at say -25 to -15 and have individual volume controls at each of the zones controlling the speaker(s). For the other two zones I need, I would find a small amp and attach it to this on it's preouts. So, just looking for something that will carry the signal over to the new amp.

If this would not be the right approach, and this amp setup would work better, let me know.

highfigh

highfigh

I would be using the Onkyou TXSR 702 that I have kicking around. I would just have it come into one of the inputs and then set the volume at say -25 to -15 and have individual volume controls at each of the zones controlling the speaker(s). For the other two zones I need, I would find a small amp and attach it to this on it's preouts. So, just looking for something that will carry the signal over to the new amp.

If this would not be the right approach, and this amp setup would work better, let me know.
You posted that you have nine rooms. You can't connect nine speakers to a channel, or both channels, in a way that will make the amp happy. You could use an impedance matching device, sold by many companies, but you'll still be producing XX Watts/channel and somehow, nine speakers or pairs of speakers will be sharing that total.

If you do try that high to low level converter, you know it needs to go at the tail end, right? Use the shortest RCA cables possible after the adapter and remember- you will need to start with the volume control set low in order to find your cleanest signal. Get the one with the highest power rating and if the resistors are visible, make sure they're described as "flame-proof".

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Even with an impedance matching switch or volume controls, the Onkyo probably won't handle the load that many speakers will create (If you intend to have them all playing simultaneously). The amp would still have to manage a low impedance load and a receiver generally isn't going to be up to that task, even a decent one like the 702.

highfigh

highfigh

Even with an impedance matching switch or volume controls, the Onkyo probably won't handle the load that many speakers will create (If you intend to have them all playing simultaneously). The amp would still have to manage a low impedance load and a receiver generally isn't going to be up to that task, even a decent one like the 702.
That's why I like to use one channel for each speaker, if I can. Otherwise, if the amp can handle a low Z load, I may double up the speakers. Theoretically, the impedance management is keeping the load at about 8 Ohms but I haven't measured one. I know people who have used many over the years without problems, though.

This is the kind I'm referring to:
http://www.jamo.com/eu-en/products/zi-8-specifications/

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Just to clarify, each zone has the VC that has the ohm load leveling. So, in 5 zones, there will be 1 speaker. in 3 zones there are two speakers, and the last zone I may have 2 - 4(It is outside, so, I won't be getting to this until next spring). On the rooms with 2 or more speakers I was going to put them on the same channel and run it through the Volume control as one speaker so the ohm load stays at 8. It will lower the watts. So, I will do 7 rooms each room on one of the 7 channels on the AVR. I will run the avr at all channels in stero. For zones 8 & 9, I will pick up a two channel amp.

If my logic isn't correct, would that dayton 12 channel amp be a better choice?

I'm not the best about the whole house stuff. So, any help would be appreciated.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
That's why I like to use one channel for each speaker, if I can. Otherwise, if the amp can handle a low Z load, I may double up the speakers. Theoretically, the impedance management is keeping the load at about 8 Ohms but I haven't measured one. I know people who have used many over the years without problems, though.

This is the kind I'm referring to:
http://www.jamo.com/eu-en/products/zi-8-specifications/
So, even with the Load matching VC, would it be better to put each speaker on its own channel?

If I did this, I could cover 6 zones. with 7 speakers, Then my Onkoy 805 could handle two more zones on zone 2, and I would need an additional 3 - 5 channels, or would the VC level the ohm load enough to keep two speakers on one channel. Each zone is not planned on blasting the music, they are more for background music.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Depending on how demanding the speakers are, I'd have to say you will be OK with the VC and a 2 zones for one channel. I've done it like that in the past - one stereo amp powering 3 zones via an impedance matching switch. Rarely would more than 2 zones be on and all of the speakers were smaller, relatively low demand, so it never became an issue with the load.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Depending on how demanding the speakers are, I'd have to say you will be OK with the VC and a 2 zones for one channel. I've done it like that in the past - one stereo amp powering 3 zones via an impedance matching switch. Rarely would more than 2 zones be on and all of the speakers were smaller, relatively low demand, so it never became an issue with the load.
Most of the speakers are these sold by monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702&p_id=4100&seq=1&format=2

I also have two of the RBH A-610.

http://rbhsound.com/a610.shtml

Either of the two are not too hard to drive. I also talked to the Parts Express and they said the hi low converter probably would not work as the signal would probably be diminshed by the time it got to the 2nd AVR. He said that my initial approach of splicing an analog RCA cable would probably be OK.

I really appreciate all of the advice. It is extremly helpful when others share their knowledge.

So, with that being said Is there any other things that I need to keep in mind?

highfigh

highfigh

Just to clarify, each zone has the VC that has the ohm load leveling. So, in 5 zones, there will be 1 speaker. in 3 zones there are two speakers, and the last zone I may have 2 - 4(It is outside, so, I won't be getting to this until next spring). On the rooms with 2 or more speakers I was going to put them on the same channel and run it through the Volume control as one speaker so the ohm load stays at 8. It will lower the watts. So, I will do 7 rooms each room on one of the 7 channels on the AVR. I will run the avr at all channels in stero. For zones 8 & 9, I will pick up a two channel amp.

If my logic isn't correct, would that dayton 12 channel amp be a better choice?

I'm not the best about the whole house stuff. So, any help would be appreciated.
The volume controls may show an 8 Ohm load to whatever is driving it but you still have several that would need to be connected. One VC may show 8 Ohms but 2 wired parallel presents a 4 Ohm load. If you have more, you would need to use the correct formula to determine the load and regardless of doing this, more than 2 controls will present an unsafe load to the amplifier and many receivers will have a problem with 2 volume controls wired parallel. This is the reason I like to use one channel per load- you have a lot less to worry about in terms of amplifiers remaining usable and reliable. If the volume controls have a switch for selecting 1, 2 or 4, you can try it but the power is still shared and may not be sufficient for your application. The Dayton amp's channels can be bridged for areas that need more power, like outdoors or a larger room. Another benefit is that it can be set to turn on when the signal gets there, instead of having to remember to turn it on or off.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis