Considering this system...I need expert opinions like YOURS!

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
Greetings!

I am finishing my 1900 square foot basement. The jewel for me is the home theater area. I have been hunting for just the right equipment for my man cave. My budget is $4000 for the speakers ONLY. I have auditioned the following and loved the sound. Please provide your feedback as to whether this seems to be a good system. Oh, also, I will be watching movies 80%, gaming 15% and music 5%. Thanks in advance for your responses!

And the equipment is...
FR, FL - Paradigm SE 3
Center - Paradigm SE Center
Subs (2) - Paradigm SE Sub
In-ceiling surrounds (4) - Paradigm AMS 150R v.4

Total cost from dealer: $3269.00

Other decisions already made
1. Oppo BDP-103
2. Denon AVR-X4000
3. Panasonic TCP65ST60 65" plasma

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Sounds like a great setup. Only thing I would recommend is looking at subwoofers from subwoofer companies. HSU, SVS, Rhythmik all make some awesome products that would complement the rest of your lineup beautifully.

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
tmurin,

Thanks for your response.

I did look around a bit. One sub that seemed impressive is the SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer. What are your thoughts on this model? Would I still need two subs?

Thanks,

HT4ME

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
How big is the actual HT area and is that open to the rest of the basement? L X W?

Depending on the size of your HT area one or two of those may be enough, but if the area is large you're going to want multiple subwoofers, not only for adequate bass, but also for smoothing bass response across a large area.

If your budget is around $4000 for subs (2 SB13s) I'd almost rather see you with 3 rythmik FV15HP's or 3 PSA XV30's. At 1900sqft, that's 13-15,000 cuft and a heck of a lot of air to move for some subwoofers, depending on how much of that space is for the HT and if it is open to the other areas or not.

tmurin,

Thanks for your response.

I did look around a bit. One sub that seemed impressive is the SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer. What are your thoughts on this model? Would I still need two subs?

Thanks,

HT4ME

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
How big is the actual HT area and is that open to the rest of the basement? L X W?

Depending on the size of your HT area one or two of those may be enough, but if the area is large you're going to want multiple subwoofers, not only for adequate bass, but also for smoothing bass response across a large area.

If your budget is around $4000 for subs (2 SB13s) I'd almost rather see you with 3 rythmik FV15HP's or 3 PSA XV30's. At 1900sqft, that's 13-15,000 cuft and a heck of a lot of air to move for some subwoofers, depending on how much of that space is for the HT and if it is open to the other areas or not.
I have to agree Alex, that's a lot of air to move, I'd lean towards 3 PSA XV30Fs or dual Triaxs.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
On the one hand the PSA subs have a better warranty, on the other the Rythmik subs offer more tuning options and customizability.

On the other other hand, you could get 4 HSU VTF15's. Uber customizability and a decent warranty.

On the other other other hand you could buy 10 SI 18" drivers and pay somebody $1000 to build you a bunch of sub boxes and spend $1000 on amplification and then you'll have enough bass for all 13-15000 cu ft bar none.

I have to agree Alex, that's a lot of air to move, I'd lean towards 3 PSA XV30Fs or dual Triaxs.

H

HT4ME

Audioholic Intern
All,

The layout is open between the billiards room and the home theater. This was my wife's preference. (see attached). The home theater room is 19'5" x 21' 5". The adjoining billiards room is 18'6" x 16'5". Please note, where you see walls that appear like this == === = == =, these are dimensional walls. In a nutshell, they are not walls at all. They are merely used to define the purpose of a room (e.g. billiards room).
[/URL][/IMG]

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
On the other other other hand you could buy 10 SI 18" drivers and pay somebody $1000 to build you a bunch of sub boxes and spend $1000 on amplification and then you'll have enough bass for all 13-15000 cu ft bar none.
Oh hell yeah!

And if he doesn't have room for 10 drivers, get four UXL-18 drivers, which would cost roughly the same. Get someone to build couple of opposing woofer boxes. They could be powered by a couple iNuke 3000 or 6000s. That would own, and probably be cheaper overall than 10 SI 18s. It would be easier to calibrate too since it is basically just two subs- two very powerful subs.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I knew that name sounded familiar. Curse my poor memory and lack of bookmarking! There's no way that I won't be ordering a Phallus or two sometime in the future.

Oh hell yeah!

And if he doesn't have room for 10 drivers, get four UXL-18 drivers, which would cost roughly the same. Get someone to build couple of opposing woofer boxes. They could be powered by a couple iNuke 3000 or 6000s. That would own, and probably be cheaper overall than 10 SI 18s. It would be easier to calibrate too since it is basically just two subs- two very powerful subs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I will say, at volume, Denon receivers have shut down repeatedly across all models I have seen from them in recent years, so it may be worth considering to get an outboard amp to go with the X4000. Obviously, this is something which can be added later.

I will say, I hate in-ceiling speakers. They bleed sound upward into other living spaces. If you setup is on the top floor of your home, the don't worry about it, but otherwise, I just let people know it's a bad way to do audio. You can build back boxes for the speakers, and you really should if you are set on in-ceiling placement, but I would still just go to in-wall/on-wall speakers instead, if possible.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
That looks like an awesome room, I would put A lOT of thought into this system, and definitely go over board on the subwoofer side. Also make sure your amplifier have enough headroom to support your desired listening levels at you seating positions. What is your actual budget, total for electronics, subs, and speakers?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Assuming 8 ft ceilings, you have about 3300 cubic feet to pressurize. I'll admit to not being a massive bassaholic like many, and at least for me, the appearance of the room is pretty important and most subs aren't beautiful, so there's no way I could stick 4 in a room, but that's a personal preference. I think you should be fine with 2 subs for that space. I haven't heard the SVS but it has a lot of fans here. Personally, I would call SVS, Rhythmik, HSU, and PSA with your room dimensions and see what they recommend. You can always start with 2 subs and add on later if you feel it's required.

ahblaza

ahblaza

258.jpgOne PSA Triax has more output than dual XV30Fs stacked and even separated, I also believe it has the equivilent output of 3 XS30s, for your room I would definetely call Tom or Jim and they will tell you exactly what you need, I would go out on a limb and say to start with dual XS30s or XV30Fs, they could pressurizi that 3300cf space quite nicely, that's pretty close to my space and I had dual XV15s do quite well in my space, the XS30s also had no problem filling that space with plenty of headroom to spare, these subs are monsters, I can't wait on my Triax (one of these will do the trick for you also) duals would be insane, I am considering a second but I am a pig. I'm chatting with my man Alex (Fuzz) about doing some DIY kits for mains with big drivers, I just can't help myself with big stuff :D, that's the same reaction I get from my wife ;). Go with as much as you can afford, to me it's never enough, but like I said I'm :eek: If you don't mind moving a 200 ilb. subwoofer around I would seriously consider the Triax, here's mine waiting for drivers.

Call Tom and Jim and talk it over with them or email them
support@powersoundaudio.com You'll be glad you did, friendliest and knowledgeble guys in the business.
Cheers Jeff

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
View attachment 12315One PSA Triax has more output than dual XV30Fs stacked and even separated, I also believe it has the equivilent output of 3 XS30s, for your room I would definetely call Tom or Jim and they will tell you exactly what you need, I would go out on a limb and say to start with dual XS30s or XV30Fs, they could pressurizi that 3300cf space quite nicely, that's pretty close to my space and I had dual XV15s do quite well in my space, the XS30s also had no problem filling that space with plenty of headroom to spare, these subs are monsters, I can't wait on my Triax (one of these will do the trick for you also) duals would be insane, I am considering a second but I am a pig. I'm chatting with my man Alex (Fuzz) about doing some DIY kits for mains with big drivers, I just can't help myself with big stuff :D, that's the same reaction I get from my wife ;). Go with as much as you can afford, to me it's never enough, but like I said I'm :eek: If you don't mind moving a 200 ilb. subwoofer around I would seriously consider the Triax, here's mine waiting for drivers.

Call Tom and Jim and talk it over with them or email them
support@powersoundaudio.com You'll be glad you did, friendliest and knowledgeble guys in the business.
Cheers Jeff
My wife paid over $1000 just for one of them coffee tables they are using to roll the subs around on... Furniture Factory Cart | Coffee Tables | Restoration Hardware I have to admit at first I was like $1000 coffee table WTF? but that thing gets more attention by guests than my $15K 1940s wurlitzer juke box.. that company makes some cool stuff, check out this tv stand Gunmetal TV Easel | Plinths & Columns | Restoration Hardware

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

I will say, at volume, Denon receivers have shut down repeatedly across all models I have seen from them in recent years, so it may be worth considering to get an outboard amp to go with the X4000. Obviously, this is something which can be added later.

I will say, I hate in-ceiling speakers. They bleed sound upward into other living spaces. If you setup is on the top floor of your home, the don't worry about it, but otherwise, I just let people know it's a bad way to do audio. You can build back boxes for the speakers, and you really should if you are set on in-ceiling placement, but I would still just go to in-wall/on-wall speakers instead, if possible.
+111111 This is an amazing value and would drive any seven channels of speakers you decide on, I am seriously considering this amp with the matching pre-pro for under $2000, you don't need the 4000 anymore:D Sorry they are sold out of both the Sherbourn 7 channel amps, the PA-7 150 and 350, this is the link tho.
Welcome 150 was $599 and 350 was $999 unreal bargains gone as of today.
The 4000 is nice tho and offers a lot of flexibilty and advanced RC Audyssey XT32, I would consider an outboard amp as BTRIX reco for at least the front three depending on your speaker choice, the EMO XPA-3 comes to mind.
Cheers Jeff

ahblaza

ahblaza

My wife paid over $1000 just for one of them coffee tables they are using to roll the subs around on... Furniture Factory Cart | Coffee Tables | Restoration Hardware I have to admit at first I was like $1000 coffee table WTF? but that thing gets more attention by guests than my $15K 1940s wurlitzer juke box.. that company makes some cool stuff, check out this tv stand Gunmetal TV Easel | Plinths & Columns | Restoration Hardware
That is some interesting stuff there, it must be nice to have a money tree in your back yard:D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'd really like to see some pics of the jukebox, that is cool. Is it 78rpm?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis