Considering searching for some used 901's

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Yes, yes, we have all heard the anger incited by Bose products.

But these in particular are interesting to me, and by a lot, considered to be the only "real" speaker ever made by the company.

No, I have never heard a pair, so that will be part of the search.

But anyways. I know there is massive variation between the individual series models, and the properly matching EQ is required. How do I tell if the EQ is of the right series to match? Which series seems to be the most worthwhile. If a series VI is the right one, should I listen to it in the Bose store, or find it in the real world, on a real consumer amp in a real acoustic environment?

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Actually IMO the 1st generation (only) 601 was quite a bit better than any 901 that I've heard however if you have a hankering for a pair of 901s I can certainly understand your curiosity. Placement is critical for the old Bose direct reflecting speakers.
I would assume so. It's only 1 driver facing forward, correct? And 8 rear facing in 2 axis, so nearly all the sound you hear is reflected.
Should sound very "large and spacious". But shifting them a couple inches could completely change them. And I guess using them in a treated room would be less than ideal as well.

(and also, Sholling, thanks for the suggestion, I had never seen the 601's before, will look into them as well)

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I would assume so. It's only 1 driver facing forward, correct? And 8 rear facing in 2 axis, so nearly all the sound you hear is reflected.
Should sound very "large and spacious". But shifting them a couple inches could completely change them. And I guess using them in a treated room would be less than ideal as well.
The rely on reflecting off the front wall to create the effect of a large sound stage. To me they always sounded muffled.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
The rely on reflecting off the front wall to create the effect of a large sound stage. To me they always sounded muffled.
Good input, thank you.
I am heading up the mountain to check out a pair of 601 series I's that I found for $110obo. Then will take a listen to a set of series IV 901's as well.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Totally concur. I remember back in the early 80s my fellow airmen wanted these things and I just didn't understand the appeal. I think they'd sound great in a mortuary.:p

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, yes, we have all heard the anger incited by Bose products.

But these in particular are interesting to me, and by a lot, considered to be the only "real" speaker ever made by the company.

No, I have never heard a pair, so that will be part of the search.

But anyways. I know there is massive variation between the individual series models, and the properly matching EQ is required. How do I tell if the EQ is of the right series to match? Which series seems to be the most worthwhile. If a series VI is the right one, should I listen to it in the Bose store, or find it in the real world, on a real consumer amp in a real acoustic environment?
If you do go for them, the ported speakers are hopeless. The drivers bottom continuously. The original sealed version was the best, but that is not saying much.

Don't forget the equalizer needs a tape monitor loop.

If the equalizer is not the one bought with the speaker, I would be very careful.

They are all pretty dreadful. I had a colleague buy a set when they first came out. Not happy, and upgraded to the ported version when it came out. Just an awful speaker. That was ditched pronto and he has stayed with B & W since.

Those drivers cost $3.40 each on the OEM market by the way. Bose has never changed its colors.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
601's sounded pretty dull. Not impressed by any means, even for only $100. Still headed down to see the 901's. They are a series 5 matching set. We shal see about them

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

601's sounded pretty dull. Not impressed by any means, even for only $100. Still headed down to see the 901's. They are a series 5 matching set. We shal see about them
What did you expect? The drivers are cheap TV and portable radio speakers. None of those speakers had any drivers that can be remotely considered as Hi-Fi drivers.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
None of them can hit super high notes but at least the two-way 601s had a pair of 8" woofers to give some lows. The 901s are multi-driver one-way speakers. Both require careful placement because 75% or more of the sound is reflected off the walls and (601 only) the ceiling. The 601s must be placed 18-24" from the front wall and must have side walls about 2' away and a ceiling that's not too high. 901s need a wall behind them and plenty of space between and to the side.

B

bobr1952

Audiophyte
I guess I would be embarrassed if I said I just bought a pair. But I do have a pair that I bought in the early 90s--and yes--even at the Base Exchange at Ramstein AB. I like them ok and will keep them in the living room where they are now--but my HT will be getting a fresh pair of Aperion Grand Towers--certainly a few steps up in my mind. :D Maybe I'll replace the 901s down the road with real speakers too. :cool:

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
What did you expect? The drivers are cheap TV and portable radio speakers. None of those speakers had any drivers that can be remotely considered as Hi-Fi drivers.
Just going on an audio journey, Dr.
listen to/experience everything I can.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I did the same thing not too long ago.
The build quality is appalling, but I'd be lying if I said they weren't fun to mess with!
Aside for the absence of highs, I enjoyed them. They would not pass for critical listening, but had decently full and warm bass and, of course the soundstage is an experience unto itself. I found they did best with a wall 2-3' behind them and another wall 3-4' on the outside of them.
I actually contemplated adding a small speaker with a solid tweeter to see how it would sound, but didn't get that far because I realized they simply would not work in the room I would use them in - the position limitations conflicted with the doorways and windows of the room (I just had them sitting on stools in the middle of the walkway).

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I ran 2 pairs of 901 Series V. I still think they where great sounding speakers. You do need good power for them. A 100 watt receiver is not going get it. I powered mine with VSP-Labs Straight wire pre amp-and 2 Gold Edition (200 watt X2) MOSFET power amps. I also had the DBX Dynamic Range Expander and a Carver Sonic Hologram generator in the mix (and a pair of Fourier speakers powered by SAE amps). It was a great sounding system for the mid 80's.

Last edited:
Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
I ran 2 pairs of 901 Series V. I still think they where great sounding speakers. You do need good power for them. A 100 watt receiver is not going get it.
Check my sig, I believe my big monoblocks will handle the task ;)
But anyways, I checked them out, they were pretty cool little speakers. Definitely filled the space.
Now, Dr. Mark, they may not cut the mustard for you, but I did enjoy the way they sounded, very different. That's kind of the point of me having multiple speakers pairs laying around. Searching for complete sonic accuracy is cool, but not totally my thing. Searching for different sounds and feelings from things is more in line with me (even though that's supposedly a "no-no" in audio), and it suits me fine! I don't really do any "critical listening" I am an artist by trade, and what I hear directly influences what I paint, so I look to build a mood.

In the end, the seller wouldn't move on the price, and I didn't believe they were worth what he did. I will continue looking though, because I actually did enjoy them.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Back in the late 70s, when I was in the Navy, a friend in the barracks room next door had a pair of 901's, not sure what series, but he had a something like a 350 watt amp and he needed it to get anything out of them. But let me tell you, for party speakers, they were loud and they shook the room. Hell, they shook the hall. Personally, I don't recall the sound quality, or how much treble or bass you got. I still think my Polk Audios (until I burned them out) and my Altec Lansings sounded much better.

I'd still be curious to find an early pair to see how they sound today.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Check my sig, I believe my big monoblocks will handle the task ;)
But anyways, I checked them out, they were pretty cool little speakers. Definitely filled the space.
I wasn't talking about any of your equipment, I see you got Denon Mono Blocks. The point I was trying to make is that most people (that knock the 901's) never heard them properly powered.

V

Vedder323

Banned
Why not, give the 901s enough power and a proper setup, they are a really fun speaker to listen to

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Why not, give the 901s enough power and a proper setup, they are a really fun speaker to listen to
I'm not sure what fun you could have listening to these, unless you want to hear multiple voice coils bottoming.

Now just look at those cheap and nasty Far eastern drivers with pressed chassis.

I don't know where any of you get the idea these can take a lot of power. May be if you don't give them any bass.

I had a good chance to listen and examine these up close when they came out.

With even modest power a dramatic drum beat would have an artifact, and that was the sound of all those voice coils bottoming.

Next problem everything had a wide sound stage, even if it was solo instrument! I remember this being commented on adversely in Stereo Review.

The whole concept is just bad. Take all those drivers and try and force bass out below their F3 with Eq. It well know you can't and should not try to extend the bass of any ported cabinet with Eq. That produces nothing pretty. I always regarded these as totally cynical rip off. I will never change my opinion, and Bose has never mended its ways.

V

Vedder323

Banned
I'm not sure what fun you could have listening to these, unless you want to hear multiple voice coils bottoming.

Now just look at those cheap and nasty Far eastern drivers with pressed chassis.

I don't know where any of you get the idea these can take a lot of power. May be if you don't give them any bass.

I had a good chance to listen and examine these up close when they came out.

With even modest power a dramatic drum beat would have an artifact, and that was the sound of all those voice coils bottoming.

Next problem everything had a wide sound stage, even if it was solo instrument! I remember this being commented on adversely in Stereo Review.

The whole concept is just bad. Take all those drivers and try and force bass out below their F3 with Eq. It well know you can't and should not try to extend the bass of any ported cabinet with Eq. That produces nothing pretty. I always regarded these as totally cynical rip off. I will never change my opinion, and Bose has never mended its ways.
I have heard them a few times on a couple different systems both good and bad and I dont ever recall hearing what you describe as voice coils bottoming.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have heard them a few times on a couple different systems both good and bad and I dont ever recall hearing what you describe as voice coils bottoming.
May be you thought the bottoming was part of the percussion section! I found them really easy to bottom, as you would expect and infer from the ridiculous design and engineering approach.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis