Connecting to satellite receiver

T

Toastinloaf

Audiophyte
I have a Denon 2313ci receiver and I can't get mt Uverse satellite to go through it. I have to plug my satellite straight into the tv. I thought I could run the satellite through the Denon receiver and plug my TV into the monitor HDMI on my Denon? I also have to use analog cables for sound. Is something wrong with the Denon? Firmware Upgrade?:mad:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with Uverse hardware, so I have some questions to help me understand so that I can try to get you set up:
1. What connections are available on the back of your Uverse equipment?
2. How do you have it connected to the TV?
3. What is the make and model of your TV?
4. What is the model number of your Uverse hardware?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The Denon will pass video/audio signals, not RF signals, which is what comes from the satellite You have to run output of a TUNER through the TV, not the raw satellite RF signal itself, before the Denon will accept it. .

T

Toastinloaf

Audiophyte
1. U-verse receiver HDMI, Optical and RCA on back

2. U-verse satellite is connected via HDMI directly to my HDMI on TV

3. My TV is a Poineer PDP-6071HD

4. VIP1225

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I don't know your level of experience with this hardware, so please don't think any of this is meant to be patronizing. Have you been using the Denon with other HDMI-based components with success? When you say that you can't get Uverse to go through the Denon, what do you mean?

You should be able to connect the HDMI output on the Uverse VIP1225 to one of the HDMI inputs on the Denon, and then connect one of the HDMI outputs on the Denon to an HDMI input on your TV.

Unless you are using a default input setting, you'll need to assign the HDMI input that you use on the Denon to the input selection (i.e. "CBL/SAT") that you're using on the Denon for Uverse. On modern receivers, a number of the input connectors are assignable, so you need to tell them which ones to use for which input selection. How to do that on the Denon is covered on page 115 of the owners manual. You can also check the Troubleshooting section on page 152 of the Denon owners manual that covers HDMI issues.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It works just like my DirecTV. Connect your UVerse box to an HDMI input on the receiver and your TV to the HDMI output on the receiver. Select the correct HDMI in and out from your remote or dial and enjoy. You will also be able to connect other devices such as a blu ray player to other HDMI inputs.

T

Toastinloaf

Audiophyte
I have CBL/SAT set to input 1 on the Denon. This where the Uverse satellite receiver is plugged into. I have my TV plugged into monitor 1 HDMI OUT on the Denon.

When I plug the HDMI straight from the U-verse receiver to my TV, it works. I'M decent with this kind of setup stuff and this kind of setup shouldn't be difficult. I've tried different settings on the receiver and nothing. I do have sound passing via RCA from the U-verse box to the Denon.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
That's wrong. HDMI handles the audio. You shouldn't have any other audio connection. There is no reason the setup shouldn't work through the receiver. I can't help but wonder if it is just an operation issue.

T

Toastinloaf

Audiophyte
You mean that shouldn't happen not that the setup is wrong, correct?

Basically the receiver is handling the audio only through RCA. I know that HDMI handles both audio and video and that's why I'm confused. I think the monitor HDMI port on the Denon may be out. I was hoping there was a secret setting that I haven't tried yet on the Denon and that someone would say that I had to turn it on and BAM it would start working. I mean once you have the HDMI ports assigned correctly, which isn't hard to do, and then you plug the TV into the monitor port, pllug the satellite into the CBL/SAT port, it should work. I appreciate the help though.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm, it's possible that there's an issue with the HDCP protocols between the three units. The Uverse manual doesn't say anything about it having it, and the Denon manual says that connected components must have it. However, let's try to detail this out and see if we can fix it.

Btw, if you are using RedMere HDMI cables, make sure that you have them connected in the proper direction - those are directional cables.

1. Turn off all equipment
2. Connect an HDMI cable from the Uverse HDMI output to an input on the Denon (let's go with "CBL/SAT" for this example).
3. Connect an HDMI cable from the Denon "HDMI OUT - MONITOR1" port to an HDMI input on your TV.
4. Turn on Denon, TV, and Uverse receiver.
5. Select the proper HDMI input on your TV.
6. Go into the menu on the Denon.
7. If you can see the Denon's onscreen display on your TV, then you know that the Denon and TV are connected properly.
8. Make sure that the HDMI input that you're using for the Uverse receiver on the Denon (e.g. "CBL/SAT") is assigned to the proper input selector (page 115 of the manual).
9. Set the Input Mode on the Denon for that HDMI connector to "HDMI" (page 117 of the manual)
10. If that doesn't work, go into HDMI setup in the Denon menu (page 110) and set "HDMI Control" to Off and "Power Off Control" to Off.

Please let us know if anything works when you try that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis