connecting my ipod to my avr

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I recently got an ipod and I currently have the Denon avr788.

I have a cord it connects to the earphone jack on the ipod and has 2 rca plugs that plug into the front of the avr. I see the Denon has on the back panel an ipod hookup. I looked at their suggested cable and to buy their ipod dock. It has a bunch of bells and whistles on it.

I only need the thing to play my playlist and nothing else. If I use this Idock will the music sound better over plugging it into the front with the rca jacks? If so is there a cheaper cord I can just buy versus spending over $100 on a denon ipod dock.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You can buy a 1/8" stereo mini-jack (earphone jack) to two RCA plugs adapter and most likely be satisfied with that. I am.

I've seen these in well-stocked dollar stores.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
That's what I'm currently using now, wondering if this dedicated ipod input will create better sound quality over the rca front jacks. I don't want to spend the money on an ipod dock if it won't improve the sound quality.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
ill share some tips since i use an ipod with my receiver, keep the volume below 3/4ths or the signal will clip.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you want to be sure you have the best sound coming out of you're ipod, I would suggest getting a LOD. It's a line out dock and it bypasses the headphone amp which is only decent on the ipods (or any portable device for that matter). I would only get the denon dock if you're interested in all the other bells and whistles that is has.

Here's an example of an LOD.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083101&p_id=6225&seq=1&format=4#feedback

On a side note, the best thing you can do for sq from you're ipod is to make sure you're stuff is compressed as little as possible.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
If you want to be sure you have the best sound coming out of you're ipod, I would suggest getting a LOD. It's a line out dock and it bypasses the headphone amp which is only decent on the ipods (or any portable device for that matter). I would only get the denon dock if you're interested in all the other bells and whistles that is has.

Here's an example of an LOD.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083101&p_id=6225&seq=1&format=4#feedback

On a side note, the best thing you can do for sq from you're ipod is to make sure you're stuff is compressed as little as possible.
yes, this is what I was looking for. I don't need the bells and whistles just want to hit play and walk away and listen. From the review only one person mentioned it sounded better than the rca rest never mentioned anything.

dkane360

dkane360

yes, this is what I was looking for. I don't need the bells and whistles just want to hit play and walk away and listen. From the review only one person mentioned it sounded better than the rca rest never mentioned anything.
Depending on your equipment and your ears, you may never hear the difference. It would just bother me to know that there could be a possibility of it sounding better.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
LOD would certainly, and does sound better, the headphone amp clips at higher volume in turn giving you distortion. i have to have my receiver turned up to -25dB gain because of having to keep the volume low to avoid distortion. and any bitrate above 256kbps is fine.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
how do I know what the kpbs is? I took my cd put it into my computer and itunes said do you want to inport and I clicked yes.

dkane360

dkane360

how do I know what the kpbs is? I took my cd put it into my computer and itunes said do you want to inport and I clicked yes.
iTunes defaults importing at 128kbps I believe. If you right click on the top bar where it says name, time, artist, you can select bit rate. To change the importing quality, you have to go to the general settings, and under import settings you should be able to change it.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
oh boy. I have 893 songs inported already at 128. I found the setting to change to 256. Looks like I can start all over. Glad I'm not even close to being done or that would really suck.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
If you really want to get ambitious, install RockBox on your ipod. It will play many more formats than the stock OS. I use it to play FLAC and WAV files. I'm very happy with it.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I rec'd the cable and can't get any sound to come out my speakers. The Denon manual is well useless, but I already knew that. I also checked that batpig site and they didn't have anything about it either.

Anyone know how to hook up the cable to get sound of of the speakers?

I plug the cable into the 3.5mm jack that says ipod dock and plug the other end into my ipod. There is a button on the front and on the back of the remote that says ipod. I select that and nothing happens.

When I goto setup the inputs I can easily assign ones for names dvd, cd, cable, aux, etc but one of the main components there isn't an option that says ipod. There is under each of the main names the last option says Ipod dock but that doesn't seem to work

dkane360

dkane360

I rec'd the cable and can't get any sound to come out my speakers. The Denon manual is well useless, but I already knew that. I also checked that batpig site and they didn't have anything about it either.

Anyone know how to hook up the cable to get sound of of the speakers?

I plug the cable into the 3.5mm jack that says ipod dock and plug the other end into my ipod. There is a button on the front and on the back of the remote that says ipod. I select that and nothing happens.

When I goto setup the inputs I can easily assign ones for names dvd, cd, cable, aux, etc but one of the main components there isn't an option that says ipod. There is under each of the main names the last option says Ipod dock but that doesn't seem to work
Sorry, my response earlier in this thread was pretty vague. You still need to convert that 3.5mm jack to the red and white rca plugs. The 3.5mm jack on the back isnt an audio input. It's for the ipod dock that they sell and is used for controlling it. I'm not sure where you can get a 3.5mm in to rca out, but I know they make them. I briefly checked monoprice and I couldnt find one. Radioshack might have one.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I have the exact opposite adapter already. rca female to male 3.5mm.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis