connecting computer to a/v reciever

S

Suic

Enthusiast
ok so i am trying to connect my computer to my a/v reciever and have that route my laptop screen onto my tv. Here is what I was wondering, If I am using say this external sound card:
http://reviews.cnet.com/sound-cards/creative-sound-blaster-audigy/4505-9334_7-31156120.html?tag=rnav
It seems that with the vast majority of a/v receivers (if not all) only have component video and not component audio. Is this because the a/v receiver will do the decoding to surround (7.1 in my case) itself? In that case, does that mean that the audio that I send it through the line out must already be encoded in the format I want it to play? Since there is no component audio, I assume that this is the case. Can a normal line out that is plugged into an a/v receiver as a stereo L and R send that type of data?

My overall question can be put more concisely as: How do I pass surround sound from my laptop to my a/v receiver?

This Is my receiver:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665361526
there is a .jpg on this page with a high rez picture of the back

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
to pass digital audio, you need either and hdmi out of your computer, or a 3.5mm>optical cable(spdif (although some laptops have optical out)). All of the surround formats will be dependent on whichever soundcard you buy or is embedded in your motherboard and your software. The soundcard you linked is a little old, maybe you want to take a look at newer options(and if its for home use only, you can steer away from pc cards)

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
What computer do you have? Can you list the computer components?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
A couple of things that I'd like to say:

1) That sound card does have an optical digital audio output - that is what you would use to connect to your receiver.

2) A lot of receivers do have audio inputs that support the analog multi-channel outputs from that sound card. Your particular receiver just doesn't have them.

So, to answer your question, use an optical cable to connect the sound card to your receiver. Based on the photos, you probably need a cable like this one linked here to make the connection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis