Connecting CD Player to amp question

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
Okay, I just posted but I have another question. When connecting my Onkyo CD player to my NAD amp, should I use line level outputs? Again, system consists of..

Amplifier - NAD D3020 amplifier
Digital Media Player - Sonos Connect
Turntable - Audio-Technicia AT-LP60
Compact Disc Player - Onkyo C-7030
Mains - NHT SuperZeros
Subwoofer - Outlaw Audio M8

Here's the issues, the amp has only 2 analog inputs. One is RCA inputs and the other is 3.5mm jack. The turntable is already using the RCA inputs. The NAD D3020 already has a good DAC built in but should I take advantage of the Onkyo's Wolfson® 192 kHz/24-bit DAC and connect it via RCA to 3.5mm connection or just use it as a transport and connect it via digital coax? Right now the Sonos Connect is connected via coax but I'd just connect the Sonos using the optical out and connect the CD via coax. Thoughts?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You have a good, compact amplifier. It's limitations are that it's got room on the back for just a couple of inputs and you have more. The weakest point of your devices is that AT-LP60 turntable. I would try to upgrade that. I know because I owned one and even the slight bump to the one I have now was a HUGE jump in sound quality.

Your current connections are fine, and the DAC in the Onkyo is a pretty good one. Would you notice any difference between that and the one in the 3020? I doubt it...I think they're essentially the same other than the one in the 3020 is probably a Burr-Brown.

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
I would try both the digital and analog connections from your CD player and choose the one that sounds best. There may be no difference or there may be somewhat of a difference. It won't be a large difference though.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I'll try it out. Thank you

I would try both the digital and analog connections from your CD player and choose the one that sounds best. There may be no difference or there may be somewhat of a difference. It won't be a large difference though.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
LOL! I just opened the package on the AT-LP60 yesterday. I'm just getting back into vinyl and this seemed to be the best turntable for the price. I do have my eyes on a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon though. I must say that I am VERY happy with the sound of this setup.

You have a good, compact amplifier. It's limitations are that it's got room on the back for just a couple of inputs and you have more. The weakest point of your devices is that AT-LP60 turntable. I would try to upgrade that. I know because I owned one and even the slight bump to the one I have now was a HUGE jump in sound quality.

Your current connections are fine, and the DAC in the Onkyo is a pretty good one. Would you notice any difference between that and the one in the 3020? I doubt it...I think they're essentially the same other than the one in the 3020 is probably a Burr-Brown.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You wouldn't appreciate the difference in the LP60 as opposed to the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (can be had with HDMI output) until you hear them both. Much of the difference lies in that the Pro-Ject comes with a much better Ortofon 2M Red or Sumiko Pearl standard 1/2" mount cartridge versus the fixed AT cartridge on the LP60. I think taking the money out of the automatic functions of the LP60 and putting it into a lower signal to noise ratio (-68dB vs. -50dB) and giving you a better, upgradable cartridge is well worth the money.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
What do you think of the Pro-Ject elemental? Is that a good turntable?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Not particularly. It's "incrementally" better quality sound than an LP60, but they (Pro-Ject) doesn't even give the signal to noise ratio for it. If you could possibly bump up to at least the Debut Carbon or RPM1, Music Hall MMF2.3, or Rega RP1 you'd be much better off.

Where are you shopping? Have you checked NeedleDoctor.com? There's a lot of options there, do check out the ones I've mentioned.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
Decided to return the AT-LP60 and get the Debut Carbon and match it with the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM - MM Phono Pre-amplifier

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Good man! I'd appreciate hearing back from you when you get it, with your impressions.

I should have mentioned how when I first upgraded from an LP60 to the Pro-Ject RPM1 (I also have the Phono Box MM, btw) the first thing I noticed was the vast difference in the "rumble" heard in the couple of seconds of what should be silence between when the needle first comes in contact with an LP but before music starts playing. That base noise is SO much less now it's unreal.

Looking forward to your report. ;) Congrats!

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
That's interesting that you have that turntable because there's a guy in Craigslist selling a RPM 1 for $325. I considered that one.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, that's a bargain I would have jumped on! The only issues I have with mine is:

1: The 3 pointy "legs" are supposed to land in the dimpled center of 3 thin steel disks provided. Those disks didn't work any better on the black glass surface of my AV stand than the pointy legs, so I'm using the larger, rubber-bottomed disks that came as hard floor protectors for the carpet spikes of my KEF R500 speakers. Perfect.

2: The optional dust cover is HUGE, much bigger than it needs to be. It's far too big for the tiny space I crammed my RPM1 into, which is the whole reason I bought the RPM1. I didn't opt to buy the dust cover. The RPM1 is very compact on width and depth. I'll make my own dust cover when I get a Roundtuit.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
This 2.1 system is in my office but I'm sure it'll find it's way into my bedroom at some point. I need a dust cover and, like you, I don't have a lot of space. The RPM1 is very stylish but not practical in my situation. Might upgrade the speakers after Christmas as these NHTs were found on Craigslist and I believe they are original Superzeros (pretty old).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting looking up the specs on the belt drive vs direct drive models discussed. Makes me appreciate how good my 35 year old direct drive is. Always preferred better speed control and lower wow/flutter over basically comparable rumble in a belt drive. I wouldn't get a turntable without the ability to use a cartridge of my choice, though, which is why I looked up the LP60; the LP120 or 240 look more interesting in that respect.

As far as the original question I'd generally use the digital connection over a player's dac but don't have the gear in question; try 'em both and see if there's an appreciable difference, which I'd doubt.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Both direct drive TT's and belt drive have their pros and cons. I can't help but notice how many high-end ones use belt drive and just work on developing the bearings and platters more. The very good direct drive ones available today can be pricey compared to what it takes to build a belt drive TT. The belt does a good job of decoupling the motor vibration and more money can go into platters, bearings, tonearms and cartridges.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Meh, they're still just turntables. Very much diminishing returns as you go up the ladder.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Both direct drive TT's and belt drive have their pros and cons. I can't help but notice how many high-end ones use belt drive and just work on developing the bearings and platters more. The very good direct drive ones available today can be pricey compared to what it takes to build a belt drive TT. The belt does a good job of decoupling the motor vibration and more money can go into platters, bearings, tonearms and cartridges.
The Technics SL1200 is a great DD table.

I own a SL1210 and a Pro-Ject Debut carbon.

My biggest complaint on the Pro-Ject was the janky felt mat that came with it! Wow, what a piece of crap that thing was. I replaced it with the cork mat. Note my avatar--I was using my Technics mat on the Pro-ject until my cork mat arrived.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Technics SL1200 is a great DD table.

I own a SL1210 and a Pro-Ject Debut carbon.

My biggest complaint on the Pro-Ject was the janky felt mat that came with it! Wow, what a piece of crap that thing was. I replaced it with the cork mat. Note my avatar--I was using my Technics mat on the Pro-ject until my cork mat arrived.
Yep my SL1200mk2 has been very reliable.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'll agree about the felt mat which comes with the lower level Pro-Ject turntables. I notice static electricity builds up and that felt mat will stick to the LP when I go to flip it over to Side 2.

Can I ask where you got the cork mat and what did it cost?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'll agree about the felt mat which comes with the lower level Pro-Ject turntables. I notice static electricity builds up and that felt mat will stick to the LP when I go to flip it over to Side 2.

Can I ask where you got the cork mat and what did it cost?
Pro-Ject mat, from Amazon, $25
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHOLLSG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm sure you could find a GOOD felt mat for cheaper. My technics mat is a good quality felt mat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis