Connecting an RX-V2065 to DSP Z9

getafix

getafix

Audiophyte
I have picked up a 2065 at a good price and want to connect it to my Z9. I connected to two by going pre-outs of the 2065 (centre, left, right, surrounds and sub) to the multichannel inouts of the Z9.
I left all the speakers connected to the Z9.

I have looked through the setup of both units and can't seem to find anything that I need to set/change.

I get sound through all speakers so I assume that both are setup correctly. However, I haave the following "problems"

1. The remote control effects both units. (they are next to each other). This means that when the volume is adjusted, it pysically adjusted on both avr's. Is this correct?
2. When using the Z9 on its own, a comfortable listening level is -30. Now I have to adjust (both) to -10 at least to get any sort of decent level. Not ure why.

Other than that, I am enjoying the processing of the 2065, but would really like to use the power of the Z9.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
Gareth

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Gareth, I'm not sure there's any real benefit going through the Z9. There's only a 40W, or about 1 dB, difference in the power output of the two receivers. Although I'm pretty sure the Z9 has a better amp structure.

That said, yes I would think the remote/volume could be a difficult issue. One thing that might help, is that the Z9 has L/C/R pre-amp inputs that you might try using for the fronts instead of the m-ch inputs and use the 2065 to power your surrounds and sub control. However, the Z9 manual, pg. 27, is contradictory as to how the L/C/R pre-amp inputs actually work. Since it's a pre-amp input, it should bypass the volume control of the Z9.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
1. The remote control effects both units. (they are next to each other). This means that when the volume is adjusted, it pysically adjusted on both avr's. Is this correct?

Gareth
I have never tried it so the following is just a guess.
In the 'Advanced set up' chapter; the principle of Remote ID is explained. How about making sure that the Receiver Id from both receivers is set up differently ?

getafix

getafix

Audiophyte
@AVrat. Thanks for the advice. I was reading that the Z9 has a torodial power supply which if I understand correctly is better. I like the 5 hdmi inputs (I am using 4 already) and I got this unit new at a steal.

What I will try what you suggest and let you know.

@Jeepers - I will also check out what you suggest.

Thanks again
Gareth

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
However, the Z9 manual, pg. 27, is contradictory as to how the L/C/R pre-amp inputs actually work. Since it's a pre-amp input, it should bypass the volume control of the Z9.
I reread that section and it makes sense to me now. Since you want to only use the amps of the Z9 and other processing/switching of the 2065 you're fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis