Connecting A DVD For Audio Playback Only

Big Daddy

Big Daddy

Enthusiast
I have this Philips DVD player, which I want to use strictly to play CDs. A quick glace at the back of this unit , and you know that connections don't get much simpler. There are only component outs, TV out, analog audio L&R out, HDMI, and a digital audio coax out.

Since I'm only interested in using the audio portion of this player, I only used a digital audio coax cable to connect it to my Pioneer VSX 918V reciever. However, there is no sound. Will I need to use the video connections as well, just to play CDs?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You may need to check your manuals to configure your receiver's digital input to know there's a digital signal coming in. Or there might be a setting in the DVD player.

This ain't like the old days when you just plugged in red and white analog connectors, selected the proper input, and it worked. Or, maybe it is...

Last edited:
Big Daddy

Big Daddy

Enthusiast
True enough, and I did set the CD input to digital on my receiver. I'm not sure if there is a menu for such things on my DVD recorder, but, I'll check it out when I get home. I assumed that the DVD player automatically sent the signal through whichever cable was plugged in, but, perhaps it defaults to analog out, when HDMI is not in use.

That brings up another good point. Since I use my PS3 for DVDs and Blue ray, I have been trying to select CD as the source for playing the CDs from my Phillips DVD player. Maybe I should play a CD while I shuffle through the various signal sources on my receiver.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to do what I think you're saying, unless you run a video lead from the quasi-CD player, you'll not get any video.

In such case, it's just another DVD player input.

Big Daddy

Big Daddy

Enthusiast
I just found the PDF manual for the player on the Philips site. I see that you DO have to assign a digital output in the setup menu, when using the digital coax. That will easy enough to do when I get home. Thanks for your replies.

Big Daddy

Big Daddy

Enthusiast
Interesting...after reading the manual, upgrading the player's software, and fooling with the setup menu all evening, it has become apparent that this player has a major glitch which will not allow me to turn on the digital outputs. Even though the option is displayed in the setup menu, it's not selectable. HDMI works fine, but, the digital coax output doesn't. That would be fine and dandy, except that my receiver only has two HDMI inputs, and they are currently both being used.

It seems that I am in the market for a CD player :(

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
...and you thought these new-fangled digital devices were supposed to make our lives easier. :rolleyes:

(Psssst.... c'mere, kid. :cool: I've got a bridge to sell ya)

Seriously, you might do just as well using the red/white analog connections.

Big Daddy

Big Daddy

Enthusiast
Yep, the analog connections worked. Perhaps someone more experienced would be able to hear a difference, but, it sounds good to my ears.

Thanx

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting...after reading the manual, upgrading the player's software, and fooling with the setup menu all evening, it has become apparent that this player has a major glitch which will not allow me to turn on the digital outputs. Even though the option is displayed in the setup menu, it's not selectable. HDMI works fine, but, the digital coax output doesn't. That would be fine and dandy, except that my receiver only has two HDMI inputs, and they are currently both being used.

Just use the analog hookups!

I assume it has the red-white things. Those will work just fine for CDs.

If you're looking for a nice player. I love this one. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKDXC390/Onkyo/DX-C390-6-Disc-Carousel-CD-Changer/1.html

It plays really well with receiver remotes.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Even though the option is displayed in the setup menu, it's not selectable. HDMI works fine, but, the digital coax output doesn't.
Hi. You probably already tried this, but the manual states that you must set the HDMI audio to "Off" in order to enable the selection of the digital coax output.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Have you tried the analog outs from that player to the receiver?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis