Connecting 2 speakers in 1 output??? questions...

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
Hello,
I have a ONKYO HT9100THX home theater system and i have a extra HT9100THX speakers laying around, can i stack the front 2 speakers on one top of each other and connect both on each side to one output of L and then 2 on the R output on the back of the ONKYO? Is that a problem or no? And then similarly i will stack and connect 2 center speakers in on center output.

Please let me know..
Thank you.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Hello,
I have a ONKYO HT9100THX home theater system and i have a extra HT9100THX speakers laying around, can i stack the front 2 speakers on one top of each other and connect both on each side to one output of L and then 2 on the R output on the back of the ONKYO? Is that a problem or no? And then similarly i will stack and connect 2 center speakers in on center output.

Please let me know..
Thank you.
You technically CAN... but you definitely shouldnt for lots of reasons.. numero uno being possible damage to your receiver...

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Actually I should clarify my first statement.. You can't.

Welcome to Audioholics....

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
As mentioned by doing this, you run the risk of overloading your amp. You see say you have two speakers that are 8ohms each, by connecting them together you are a creating a 4ohm load on the amp which some recievers can't handle (especially during low load scenes in movies) You see even though the speaker is rated at 8 ohms during it's life it goes through peaks and valleys were the ohm rating can drop down to say 3 ohms and if you have two speakers connected this will surely tax your amplifier.

You can buy a speaker selector switch which allows you to safely connect between 2 and 8 pairs of speakers in parallel without putting any strain on the reciever. You could also see if your reciever has a A+B speaker selector switch which does the same thing for your main speakers. If not then buy a speaker selector.

The other problem with hooking up speakers this way are lobing issues where you create self made null voids where certain frequencies cancel each other out by "cross-talking" with each other. Best to just leave the speakers unconnected in my opinion.

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
Thanks!
The player does have the A+B option.

As mentioned by doing this, you run the risk of overloading your amp. You see say you have two speakers that are 8ohms each, by connecting them together you are a creating a 4ohm load on the amp which some recievers can't handle (especially during low load scenes in movies) You see even though the speaker is rated at 8 ohms during it's life it goes through peaks and valleys were the ohm rating can drop down to say 3 ohms and if you have two speakers connected this will surely tax your amplifier.

You can buy a speaker selector switch which allows you to safely connect between 2 and 8 pairs of speakers in parallel without putting any strain on the reciever. You could also see if your reciever has a A+B speaker selector switch which does the same thing for your main speakers. If not then buy a speaker selector.

The other problem with hooking up speakers this way are lobing issues where you create self made null voids where certain frequencies cancel each other out by "cross-talking" with each other. Best to just leave the speakers unconnected in my opinion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis