Connecting 2-Channel Amplifier to A/V Receiver

S

sri330

Audiophyte
Hi,

I have a Yamaha RX-V373 receiver and two floor standing Venturi DV-64 speakers and a 12-inch subwoofer. I mostly watch movies, just wanted to know whether I can use an amplifier to connect to this av receiver and whether this would provide any performance increase in my current setup.

Thanks in advance.

Sri

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
No you can't, there are no pre outs, and that all depends. If you listen loudly, then it may, if you never feel like your speakers are straining or running out of gas at your normal listening levels then probably not.

S

sri330

Audiophyte
Thanks for your quick response, I feel for some movies my speakers are under powered. Can't I use A/V Out jack on the receiver which outputs analog signal to connect it to the amplifier

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Two potential issues there.

1) I believe it will only output audio that came in in an analog format through them, such as your FM tuner. IOW, no digital DVD/Blu-Ray audio.

2) Those jacks afford no preamp control over the signal at all. That means, among other things, no volume control. Your amp would be running as if the volume control were maxed out at all times.

But, you're certainly welcome to try it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis