Connect laptop to HK 990

gus_patino

gus_patino

Audioholic Intern
Ok, I feel like a rookie driving an F1 car who doesn't know how to change gears.

Anyway here goes my question...

How do I connect my laptop to the HK 990 amplifier?
My laptop has an HDMI output, an USB (eSATA), a regular USB, a 1394 output and headphone jack.
It also comes with a Sound Blaster sound card X-Fi.

From what I've read it is better to bypass the sound card, but I wanted to know your thoughts and experience on this and if it is possible to bypass the sound card by getting a special cable. (Maybe Turtle Beach Micro II cable? If you know of a better cable of option please let me know)

Thanks for your help

Gustavo

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Your best bet here would be to get some form of external sound card that has a digital output, either optical or coax. Easiest and least expensive way to get the best quality with your amp. If you had a receiver with HDMI you could use that to the same effect.

gus_patino

gus_patino

Audioholic Intern
Thanks. I had already ordered the Turtle Beach adapter but I went ahead and ordered the Behringer too. I will report as soon as I get them. I'm using Windows Home Vista and I don't need the adapter for headphones, I just want to plug the computer to the amplifier HK 990.

Thanks again and I liked your signature, I have to work harder in ruining my reputation further.

gus_patino

gus_patino

Audioholic Intern
The Turtle Beach Micro II worked fine with Vista, Media Monkey. I was able to use the headphones on it, but the optical cable didn't work. I wasn't able to connect the laptop > Turtle Beach Micro II > optical cable > amplifier.
I could see the red light on the cable, but not sound was transmited through it.

The UCA 202 worked fine using the analog output (red / white ) cables. The optical output (which is what I want to use) works, sounds great BUT the sound is intermittent. It seems as if the signal is interrupted for half a second and then the music resumes.

Has anyone had the same issues with the optical cable on the UCA 202?
I'm using a PC, Vista, media player Media Monkey.

Let me know if you suggest any changes or adjustments.

Thanks

gus_patino

gus_patino

Audioholic Intern
I changed the speaker cables from a Radio Shack 14 AWG to a Blue Jeans 10 AWG.
Now the sound is uninterrupted even when using the optical cable, so it must have had something to do with the amount of power transmitted to the speakers that was causing the interruptions.
So the UCA202 works great.

gus_patino

gus_patino

Audioholic Intern
Well... the UCA202 works great, except that if the computer goes into sleeping mode, somehow it messes with the USB and then the sound is interrupted.
So I have to restart the computer and everything goes to normal.

Another thing.

I'm using Media Monkey. DON'T USE THE EQUALIZER, WITH THE UCA202.
If you turn the equalizer on, it will start making HORRIBLE crackling sounds.
If you don't turn the Media Monkey EQ you should be fine.
The bad thing is that you cannot adjust the volume level or the frequencies from the laptop. :(

So the UCA202 will allow you to transfer the info from the computer/laptop to the receiver, but don't expect to allow you to use a lot of features from your computer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis