Confusion with RXV1400

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Another challenging question for some, but a simple get your head out of your butt for others.

I've had my 1400 since last March and I think its great. I have a 1992 25" Zenith (pre digital) and have been running a L/R audio cable from the TV to the 1400's DVR input (obviously I don't have a DVR yet). When I press the DVR button on the remote I am now getting sound out of the TV speakers AND the two bookshelves next to them from the Yami (Yami 333's). Everything sounded good (not great but better than what it use to be). I purchased two new towers last night (on order should recieve them middle of next week - B&W 604's). I brought the Center home last night (B&W LCR CM6 S2 or something like that- used demo cheap) and hooked it up at lunch today. NOW FOR THE PROBLEM: when I press the DVR button while watching TV I now get NO sound from any of the three speakers, just the TV's internal speakers. What's up with that? I even re-YAPAO'd and read the manual several times. Is my problem because I have it to Jerry Rigged until I get a new TV? The main reason everything isn't switched through the Yami yet is because the Mrs. doesn't want to end up using a buttload of remotes. You know; one for Dish, one for the TV, one for DVD/CD player, one for VCR (yeah, still old school - no computer at home either) and so on.

Thanks in advance. My work day is now over and I'll check back with you guys tomorrow.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I think you may need to go into your tv setup and choose (audio out fixed).

To get your center to play a 2-channel source like stereo, tv, & vhs, you need to choose from the options on page 42 of your manual. I prefer one of the PLII options. Just play around with it & see.

If you don't have a sub, make sure to set your mains to LARGE.

You can program your Yamaha remote for almost anything.

Last edited:
toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
The TV was disconnected during the hook-up process of the new speakers. Connect it again.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Thanks guys,

Sound is now working, it turns out my head was up my butt. I just have to turn the sound up much higher on the Yami to get the signal from the old TV.

Another problem I'm now having is the "C" center icon below the volume indicator bar will not light. It is still just showing L and R but no C. There is sound coming from the center though. Is this me, again, or is it the Yami?

Thanks,

Bryguy.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Bryguy said:
Another problem I'm now having is the "C" center icon below the volume indicator bar will not light. It is still just showing L and R but no C. There is sound coming from the center though. Is this me, again, or is it the Yami?
I don't own a Yamaha but have seen questions like this before. I *think* those icons show the channels present in the input signal, not the channels being played back. Thus, if the input signal is stereo, you would only see the L and R icons even if you were using PLII or another sound field to turn it into 5.1 or 6.1. Might want to check if that is the case.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Anonymous said:
I don't own a Yamaha but have seen questions like this before. I *think* those icons show the channels present in the input signal, not the channels being played back. Thus, if the input signal is stereo, you would only see the L and R icons even if you were using PLII or another sound field to turn it into 5.1 or 6.1. Might want to check if that is the case.
Yes, that is right.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
Thanks guys,

That definitely makes sense. Two channels coming in from the TV would equal L/R even though the center is playing. I guess I need more TP for the forhead.

I'll try a DVD at lunchtime.

Bryguy

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis