Configuring a sub with audyssey

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
Hey Guys!

I wanted to know how successful have you guys been in properly configuring a sub with built in audyssey?

Also I read some where that post calibration, I should set my main speakers to 'small', does it hold true for full range tower speakers like Axiom M80s too?

I have audyssey MultiEQ XT on my onkyo SC885P. Does anyone have any experience setting up on a similar AVR?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I wanted to know how successful have you guys been in properly configuring a sub with built in audyssey?
On a scale from 1-10 . . . I have no idea, but I like it . . .

Also I read some where that post calibration, I should set my main speakers to 'small', does it hold true for full range tower speakers like Axiom M80s too?
small is just the name. It doesn't mean that your speaker is small in size. It means that a xover will be applied, even if as low as 40hz. Maybe they shouldn't just use large and small, but XX large, large, medium large, medium small, petite, super tiny, etc. :p

Personally, for HT, I would apply "small", and choose the xover that sounds best to me. Perhaps not yours, but most seem to choke out to me when you go too low. Try all of the settings, full/large, 40hz, 60hz, etc. What sounds best to you?

I have audyssey MultiEQ XT on my onkyo SC885P. Does anyone have any experience setting up on a similar AVR?
Yes, I have experience running XT on a 805.

Before you run the cal, I would do your best to find all of the best positions beforehand, in case you haven't.

You need to run all 8 positions. Best results will be with a mic stand/boom/adapter. If seating is leather, you may consider using a towel or blanket to somewhat mimic the HF absorption of the human body+clothing.

You will also get differing curves/EQ depending on if you have RE-EQ engaged. I believe with THX modes, it is defeated.

If you ever watch Iron Man, you must defeat autoflagged DRC with the night mode button. This DRC only exists with TrueHD bitstreams. I prefer to defeat it for EVERY TrueHD movie, but many others just think I'm nuts. To each their own!

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
small is just the name. It doesn't mean that your speaker is small in size. It means that a xover will be applied, even if as low as 40hz. Maybe they shouldn't just use large and small, but XX large, large, medium large, medium small, petite, super tiny, etc. :p

Personally, for HT, I would apply "small", and choose the xover that sounds best to me. Perhaps not yours, but most seem to choke out to me when you go too low. Try all of the settings, full/large, 40hz, 60hz, etc. What sounds best to you?
He He!! Do you think I should just set it to 80hz? The THX recommended setting?

Yes, I have experience running XT on a 805.

Before you run the cal, I would do your best to find all of the best positions beforehand, in case you haven't.
Could you elaborate a little?

You need to run all 8 positions. Best results will be with a mic stand/boom/adapter. If seating is leather, you may consider using a towel or blanket to somewhat mimic the HF absorption of the human body+clothing.
I have a cloth based couch so i guess its OK

You will also get differing curves/EQ depending on if you have RE-EQ engaged. I believe with THX modes, it is defeated.

If you ever watch Iron Man, you must defeat autoflagged DRC with the night mode button. This DRC only exists with TrueHD bitstreams. I prefer to defeat it for EVERY TrueHD movie, but many others just think I'm nuts. To each their own!
I thought Reon-EQ was for video :(

Auto flagged DRC???

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
He He!! Do you think I should just set it to 80hz? The THX recommended setting?
Personally, I like to run it lower than 80hz if I find the speaker can handle it. My front three are all at 60hz, atm. When I used to have a horiz center, I believed it couldn't handle 60hz for the volumes I obtained for the distance I sat from it (so it used to be 80hz before it was replaced by a tower). Hence, my suggestion to try them all out.

Could you elaborate a little?
What's to elaborate? Audyssey is not the end all miracle cure. For best audio, you want to have the best positions possible. Shoving a speaker into a corner, well Audyssey is not going to make up for all of that. You want the best starting point, and hopefully, Audyssey will be icing on the cake.

For your sub, place it AT the listening position, run bass heavy music, and crawl around on your knees. The spots that it sounds best will be the new candidates for placement.

I have a cloth based couch so i guess its OK
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.

I thought Reon-EQ was for video :(
Yes there is Reon, but Re-EQ is an Onkyo thing; it rolls off the HF some more, for listener preference in any particular room. It's explained in your manual. :cool:

Auto flagged DRC???
Yes, that's what I said. I'll repeat myself. When you BITSTREAM a TrueHD track, click on your late night button, while looking at your receiver. It will read Auto, clicking more will give you On, as well as Off. Just cause you turn it off won't make it permanent, as when you cycle the receiver's power, you'll have to do it again.

S

sptrout

Audioholic
FYI - - From our Audyssey friend, Chris Kyriakakis:

"Audyssey MultEQ creates room correction filters to two specific target curves. One is the Audyssey Reference curve that has a slight roll off in the high frequencies above 10 kHz that has to do with the translation required from a large movie theater to a smaller home listening room. The other is Flat that has no roll off. Some AVR makers decide to give the user a manual choice and others, like Onkyo, make the switch automatically.

Re-EQ is not an Onkyo function, it is part of THX. We recommend using the Flat room correction curve so that the intent of THX Re-EQ is preserved. Onkyo allows you to switch Re-EQ on and off separately from the other THX functions and so you could listen to Audyssey Flat if you turn off Re-EQ.

There is no interaction between the Re-EQ button and Audyssey. If you are in THX mode then you are listening to Audyssey Flat regardless of whether you have Re-EQ engaged. Of course, if you do have it engaged it applies a high frequency adjustment that takes you away from Flat. I recommend using Re-EQ with Audyssey Flat for movie listening.

There is no way to have Audyssey Flat in Onkyo products without having the THX mode engaged."

http://ask.audyssey.com/entries/93466-audyssey-onkyo-re-eq-button-feature-interaction

By the way, the 805 defaults to Re-EQ "on" when using any THX Mode. If you do not use a THX Mode then the 805 will apply Audyssey's "Reference Curve."

S

sptrout

Audioholic
Hey Guys!

Following is a link to excellent Audyssey write-up that was just published in past few days. Be sure to read the entire thread since there are several follow-up posts from the main author and others.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/audio-theory-discussion/159948-guide-audyssey-auto-calibration-other-technologies.html

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
We had to turn the gain up to 80% on the sub for the mic to see it...odd. Then after all that I went back and manual tuned for my small room. I set my huge Cornwall front as small so they did not over power the rears. Sounds great now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis