Concert Recording Fix!

E

EquilibriumOP

Audiophyte
Hey guys just joined the forums and am looking for some assistance!

I (legally) recorded an Average White Band concert on a small and weak little Zen V Plus MP3 player. For it's small size, it actually does a decent recording though. So as you may expect, there is A LOT of noise, and too much sound made it, well, unbearable to listen to. I get the loud ROMP noises at a very loud point in the song.

I was wondering if someone could guide me through trying to fix it up a bit with Audacity or Sony Sound Forge (I have both), or any software recommended.

I just really want to be able to come back and at least be able to follow the song. I know there is no miracle cure and it will still not sound good, but I was just wondering if you guys new any good tricks! Thank you!

-EOP

E

EquilibriumOP

Audiophyte
Come on, anybody? I'd really appreciate a hand I have no idea what to do :(

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Which version of Sound Forge - Professional or Studio?

The professional version comes with Wave Hammer and can take a noise print and then remove all signal that matches that noise print. The latest version 8 of Studio has a limited noise reduction plugin as well but it's not quite the same and takes a lot of experimenting with different parameters.

In general there are a few techniques for reducing noise:
- Noise Gate. It simply mutes everything below a given threshold. That helps for very low level noise, say -60 dB or lower but may eliminate some actual sound as well.

- If the noise is concentrated around a given frequency, you can use the parametric EQ and notch out that frequency. Likewise you can mess with the EQ and selectively boost the mid range frequencies and reduce the high frequencies to eliminate some crowd noise.

E

EquilibriumOP

Audiophyte
MDS Thanks for the reply. I have Sony Sound Forge 9 I think professional. I will show you a picture of the frequency layout in a second (forgot the real name of this chart).

E

EquilibriumOP

Audiophyte
I can't find the chart. I have a message to PM you DMS.

E

EquilibriumOP

Audiophyte
Ah I see the wave hammer tool but it's just not working well for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis