Computer vs CD player

Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Is there a sound quality difference between playing a CD on a good quality (think mid range) CD player and ripping a CD to FLAC on a computer and streaming it through a computer based player?

Also, are there different quality CD drives for a computer that would make any difference in the quality of playback or ripping a CD?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Compared to reading a file off of a HD or even better SSD (no mechanicals hence zero noise) even the best CD Transports look down right sloppy. And I'm talking the $5K and above CDP's.

Just rip your CD's to full bit rate WAV (PCM encoding) and be done with it. You can use exact audio copy to ensure your rips are bit perfect.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
+1 to EAC.

I was gonna comment on mechanical noise too, that is probably the biggest drawback to many CD players.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
Computer based player....

Depends on the software player, and on whether you can bitstream your media as is, or not. Not many software players do this, btw...

Most players will transcode everything to a basic 16 bit 44.1Khz PCM. PC's analog decodes are usually very sub-par, with a high noise floor and in most case laptops and PCs' fans will start making plenty of mechanical noise after a while playing.

I like to use an Oppo BDP-103 to access my network-stored files, and think, given my gear, it's the best solution, but depending on your gear, your mileage may vary...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Some type of network player would offer you the best SQ and lowest noise (PC would have to be in other room if mechanical noise is a nuisance. I would recommend using a device that doesn't require a monitor or television to use. I haven't studied the market on these type of devices recently so I don't know what's currently available. I want to say that Logitech offers devices that fit the bill and don't cost a fortune.

I personally use a Sony DVP-S7700 as my CD player as it offers one of the quietest transports I've found for the money. Even with my head right next to the thing during playback and the volume muted I can hear nothing.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I recently bought a Parasound ZCD. I love it!

While playing a disk and muted audio, I can barely hear it spinning, with my ear right up next to it!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I recently bought a Parasound ZCD. I love it!

While playing a disk and muted audio, I can barely hear it spinning, with my ear right up next to it!
Did some research on the zCD and found out the disc drive is sourced by the same company that makes BD drives for Sony's Playstation systems. At low speeds its very quiet. The concept of the transport is for it to be totally enclosed, much like the DVP-S7700 I own, but not slot loaded. This kind of damping reduces noise a large amount, but makes servicing a moot point. If the drive has a failure it's typically more economical to just replace the drive. This kind of concept has been around since CDROM in the late 80s.

In addition to being small and quiet the zCD also has a huge host of features like the USB port and independent level control possibly negating the need of a preamplifier. The zCD also has an auxiliary input. If I had one I would connect it to my TV's audio output and get a power amplifier and that'd be it. Everything else on the rack would be sources.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Did some research on the zCD and found out the disc drive is sourced by the same company that makes BD drives for Sony's Playstation systems. At low speeds its very quiet. The concept of the transport is for it to be totally enclosed, much like the DVP-S7700 I own, but not slot loaded. This kind of damping reduces noise a large amount, but makes servicing a moot point. If the drive has a failure it's typically more economical to just replace the drive. This kind of concept has been around since CDROM in the late 80s.

In addition to being small and quiet the zCD also has a huge host of features like the USB port and independent level control possibly negating the need of a preamplifier. The zCD also has an auxiliary input. If I had one I would connect it to my TV's audio output and get a power amplifier and that'd be it. Everything else on the rack would be sources.
Hey, thanks for that info! Any chance you could give a linky?

Yeah, the ZCD is a heck of a piece of gear! Reasonable at MSRP of $400, can't resist at the used price of ~$200 for the black model.

Whisper quiet! Much better than I was expecting on that metric.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, thanks for that info! Any chance you could give a linky?

Yeah, the ZCD is a heck of a piece of gear! Reasonable at MSRP of $400, can't resist at the used price of ~$200 for the black model.

Whisper quiet! Much better than I was expecting on that metric.
I'll look for the source of that info and put it on here later. I'm not exactly sure where it was, but it didn't take long to find.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry Slip, I've not been able to find that link. I can't seem to recall the context in order to search and find it. I just happened across the information when I was reading about the zCD.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry Slip, I've not been able to find that link. I can't seem to recall the context in order to search and find it. I just happened across the information when I was reading about the zCD.
Oh well, guess I'll just take your word for it. I tried to search too, no luck.

Thanks for the effort.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis