Computer Speakers or Bookshelf Speakers for PC?

C

crell vorlem

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade the audio quality of my PC from the Bose Companion II speakers and on-board sound that it has now. Recently I purchased a sound card, the Sound Blaster Z after reading how significantly better they sound compared to motherboard audio. Now I'm looking for a pair of speakers which can take advantage of this sound card.

Right now I'm trying to figure out whether buying a good pair of computer speakers or getting some bookshelf speakers + amp would yield better quality sound for my $150 budget.

Being in a small room and sitting close to the speakers, loudness and lots of bass is not at all a requirement. I'm mostly looking for the best quality sound possible within that price range.

Looking at computer speakers, these stand out as a good options I think:

Logitech Z623: Amazon.com: Logitech Speaker System Z623: Electronics

Cyber Acoustics C308: Amazon.com: Cyber Acoustics CA-3908 3 Piece Flat Panel Design Subwoofer and Satellite Speaker System (CA-3908): Computers & Accessories

The best bookshelf setup I could find is pairing something like the $80 Micca MB42X ( Amazon.com: Micca MB42X Bookshelf Speakers With 4-Inch Carbon Fiber Woofer and Silk Dome Tweeter (Black, Pair): Electronics ), which gets very good reviews with an amp like the $25 Lepai 2020A+, or possibly something higher quality like a Topping or Dayton.

My only concern with bookshelf speakers is how some of them aren't magnetically shielded and being right next to my monitor and computer, that might cause problems. I've read conflicting information on whether that's actually a problem or not.

What do you think the best value would be for a 2.1 or 2.0 set of speakers (and possibly amp) for use on a PC within $150?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wait for Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com to be onsale again for $90
and get this amp: Amazon.com: LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply: Electronics

I am personally no longer believe in pc internal sound card upgrades, best way to go for clean pc sound is usually external card...
Some would disaggree (see Jinuku) but then again he has Pro EMU card and a special DC only power supply just for super clean power.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Other than those new KEFs reviewed in the speakers area (which are not exactly cheap) I would always say bookshelf and an amp is the way to go. The Daytons digitals are basically just rebranded Toppings IMO, but the DTA-100 is on sale right now and I'd say it is a great deal. Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383

I haven't heard the Miccas, but I'd still say go with the BS22-LRs. I've owned them for a year and still love them.

These might work too
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A2-plus-B-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

C

crell vorlem

Audiophyte
I would consider the Pioneer speakers except my desk space is very limited and nothing larger than the Micca's will fit. At that size, the Micca speakers appear to be the best value.

Other than those new KEFs reviewed in the speakers area (which are not exactly cheap) I would always say bookshelf and an amp is the way to go. The Daytons digitals are basically just rebranded Toppings IMO, but the DTA-100 is on sale right now and I'd say it is a great deal. Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383

I haven't heard the Miccas, but I'd still say go with the BS22-LRs. I've owned them for a year and still love them.

These might work too
A2+B Powered Desktop Speakers
That Dayton amplifier does seem like a good value so I'll probably order that.

What small bookshelf speaker, specifically nothing taller than 10" would you recommend with this amplifier? Those Audioengine speakers look like they might work but it's outside my budget.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That Dayton amplifier does seem like a good value so I'll probably order that.
Gotta love then amp 3x times the price of lepai is crowned by OP as a "good value" :)

Don't go running for watts... In several tests even Dayton couldn't do continuous 50Wpc under very typical 8ohm load, but was maxing out somewhere in 33wpc region
For near-field you would only need a few watts anyhow

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Gotta love then amp 3x times the price of lepai is crowned by OP as a "good value" :)

Don't go running for watts... In several tests even Dayton couldn't do continuous 50Wpc under very typical 8ohm load, but was maxing out somewhere in 33wpc region
OP mentioned quite specifically "or something higher quality like a Topping or Dayton" :)

Last edited:
C

crell vorlem

Audiophyte

From a number of articles and comparison tests I've read elsewhere online, it seems overall the Topping/Dayton amps yield better, cleaner sound. Whether they're x3 the price better, I don't know. I'm used to years of on-board audio from an old pair of Bose Companion II speakers so I imagine even the Lepai will be a huge upgrade.

As you mentioned, I'm not looking for watts since these speakers won't ever be playing loudly anyway. Whatever produces the best overall sound quality is what I'm looking for. My budget allows for that Dayton amp but if the difference between that and the Lepai are insignificant for near-field listening, then I'll probably reconsider it.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If you have an old surround receiver (that is not too old to have Dolby Digital) that you don't know what to do with, that would be great for running bookshelf speakers for your computer. You could use a digital output on your computer, and thus use the DACs in the receiver. Many old receivers would be fantastic in such use, even though they are too old (and thus lack current features, like HDMI, etc.) to be suitable for an up-to-date surround system. And if you don't have one, you can buy a used one quite cheaply, if you are patient.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like space is a premium here, so a full size receiver might be out of the question as well. I only threw out the DTA because it is on sale cheaper than it has ever been and even at 33W it would still be more power than the Lepai, but the Lepai 2020 should work just fine for small speakers and still provide good SQ. I haven't tried a Lepai, but I have a Topping TP-60 and I'm quite impressed with it, but that one isn't inexpensive.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds like space is a premium here, so a full size receiver might be out of the question as well. I only threw out the DTA because it is on sale cheaper than it has ever been and even at 33W it would still be more power than the Lepai, but the Lepai 2020 should work just fine for small speakers and still provide good SQ. I haven't tried a Lepai, but I have a Topping TP-60 and I'm quite impressed with it, but that one isn't inexpensive.
Maybe, but the receiver does not have to be on the desktop; it can be located anywhere in the room, if one lacks space on the desktop.

N

n0rth

Audioholic Intern
I had the Altec Lansing apt4's and switched them out for a pioneer 823k and HTD lvl2 bookshelf

this is a smaller receiver dimensionally and only 129.99!!??

Pioneer VSX-522-K 5.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver - Newegg.com

I have these speakers :

HTD Level TWO Bookshelf Speakers

I'm using the HD audio passthrough on my video card into the receiver and it sounds FANTASTIC - make sure you change the windows sound settings and select the best bit depth and sampling rate for your interface!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe, but the receiver does not have to be on the desktop; it can be located anywhere in the room, if one lacks space on the desktop.
Yeah, not saying it is a big deal, but that's for the OP to tell us. I'd opt for a receiver if possible as well due to much more flexibility, but having used the TP-60 now for a while, for a tiny system, the little digital amps are a nice option if you don't need processing or a lot of inputs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis